Nice Day Out

Started by Vincent, September 03, 2012, 12: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vincent

Yesterday Seaton was ablaze with sunshine and happy people thronging the area, the chippy and ice cream shops doing great business then what, a traffic enforcement vehicle appears on Coronation Drive just after the 40mph zone to catch those villains entering the 30mph zone.

I do not endorse or encourage speeding but there were hundreds of people including kids on the grassed area with cars parked on the pedestrian walkway so why no safety barriers and speed restrictions / signs / cops in cars in place to slow and warn drivers of the dangers ahead instead of catching them after the event.

The Inspector who deployed this van should be ashamed of ignoring the dangers to the public to make some cash   

christine blakey

It is sad that we need to warn people to slow down when drivers should have been astute enough to realise that the area required slow and careful access. 

I do agree that it seemed that they knew the place would be packed and it does not get the message across to catch rather than prevent.  I wonder how many drivers succumbed to temptation and receive points and a fine?

I hope it does not prevent drivers returning, the businesses need so much support and custom.  Drivers are so important when the bus services have been cut to nothing on Sundays for example. 

I hope Guide Dogs for the Blind made as much money or more than the speed catcher?

Stig of the Seaton Dump

Soft targets and easy money for plod.

If they wanted to find some dangerous drivers they would be up the old fairground car park, plenty of youngsters
burning rubber, screeching round trying their handbrake out at speed.
I don't believe it.

christine blakey

Maybe Hartlepool Mail could cover this story?

no6bus

sorry but what story?
the police speed camera was sat in a 30mph area catching people speeding its hardly a story is it.
there are signs indicating the speed limit so if you ignore them you get done.
also the camera was after the area barriered off for the guide dog event so if people were speeding there they deserve all they get.

not4me

If you've got kids and transport then I would recommend Saltburn. Fish&Chips, a bucket and spade type beach complete with small river, a pier to walk along, a nice park with miniture railway and a couple of nice pubs serving reasonably priced meals with equally nice views. I think the train still goes there but I could be wrong.

christine blakey

Sorry thought it was the Council one, though it is useful if we let people know that you might get caught out if you speed.  I would prefer it to be about stopping speeding, than waiting until after the event.  It may be a child that gets caught out, rather than a person getting a speeding fine and points.

Stig of the Seaton Dump

Just goes to show it is more about revenue collection than crime/accident prevention.
I don't believe it.

norfolkngoode

Quote from: not4me on September 04, 2012, 03: PM
If you've got kids and transport then I would recommend Saltburn. Fish&Chips, a bucket and spade type beach complete with small river, a pier to walk along, a nice park with miniture railway and a couple of nice pubs serving reasonably priced meals with equally nice views. I think the train still goes there but I could be wrong.

It is a canny day out if you've got young kids to occupy.
Trains still do run there from middlesborough.
'They don't like it up em'

for fawkes sake

I like Saltburn too; it has an olde worldy feel. Seaburn in Sunderland seems to have improved a lot lately too.
"Remember, remember the fifth of November.
Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot."

steveL

Can you imagine either Sunderland or R&C giving the go-ahead to locate large scale landfill sites at either Seaburn or Saltburn - only in Hartlepool.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.