Elected Mayors

Started by admin, May 03, 2012, 11: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

For Info:

The following cities will hold ballots on 3 May on whether to adopt the elected mayor system.

Birmingham, Bradford, Bristol, Coventry, Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle, Nottingham, Sheffield and Wakefield.

The wording of each referendum is:

Question: How would you like ______ council to be run?

By a Leader who is an elected councillor chosen by the other elected councillors.

This is how the council is run now.

or

By a Mayor who is elected by voters.

This would be a change from how the Council is run now.

At the same time, Doncaster will vote on whether to abolish its directly-elected mayor. The wording of this referendum is:

Question: "How would you like Doncaster Council to be run?

By a mayor who is elected by voters. This is how the council is run now.

or

By a leader who is an elected councillor chosen by a vote of the other elected councillors. This would be a change from how the council is run now.

steveL

Elected Mayor's were a Labour idea and now that Labour have had three goes at getting their own elected and failed, I would expect the local Labour group, now that it entirely in the hands of the meglomaniacs of the Manor Mafia, will go hell for leather to have the post removed.

Unfortunately, Drummond has so discredited the whole idea, they will more than likely succeed.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

notinshadow

A blessing then by Stuart!

Whats he going to do next? no cop job, no mayor job and with his house being built and Wynyard..

So unless he had plenty of funny money knocking about his about  screwed.

The Great Dictator

Chey Garland promised him his job back anytime and as you know she never lies  :-\

notinshadow

He could always get a job at the Mail.. ::)

The Great Dictator

He wouldn't look right standing at the bottom of the York Road ramp  ;)

steveL

I think you'd better all pray that Drummond has a responsibility transplant because the alternative looks like the C.A.B. as part-time Leader of the Council on £35,000 a year plus his existing 'voluntary sector' salary and S.A.B. as the even more part-time Chair of the Council which will add £18,000 plus to his existing salary - oh and a clothes allowance (I'm saying nowt  ;D).
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

notinshadow

Muttering to himself about the good old days and how it used to be!! ;)

steveL

'how it used to be' isn't on offer anymore

mk1

If SCAB2 became  Mayor would SCAB 1 be the Mayoress?

notinshadow

I meant S.D. standing at the bottom of the ramp selling the Mail..muttering to himself.

steveL

Well if the Mayor (Leader of the Council) is elected by Councillors and Labour are in the majority, what else are you expecting to happen?

That IS the only alternative on offer to having an elected Mayor voted in by the people.

notinshadow

Can C.A.B. do a worse job than Stuart has?

I would rather see Lawrence with the job than either of them..

notinshadow

Quote from: mk1 on May 03, 2012, 06: PM
If SCAB2 became  Mayor would SCAB 1 be the Mayoress?

He would be tickled pink with that!!

The Great Dictator

Its far easier getting rid of a council leader than an elected mayor..