The Olympics

Started by perseus, July 26, 2012, 08: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

perseus

Right then, what's the deal behind the Olympics? What do the HTH crowd expect to happen during the next month or so?

So far we've seen the 'We're under budget' message thrown around (when the reality is they're under their 5th budget figure, having gone over the previous 4 and are 40% higher than the initial budget figure drawn up in 2005).

Just last night we've seen a 'mistake' upset South Korea and increase political tensions over there.

It's pretty much certain that Assad is going to get it big time from the 'rebels' (in 'other' news after the Olympic fanfare) before the end of the closing ceremony.

Oh and as the other topic highlighted, we've had our Mayor compare it to the Tall Ships Race. Predictions please....

not4me

Hilary Clinton will call for Drummond to resign after a rebel uprising in Owton Manor. The BBC will show constant YouTube videos of the rebels shouting God is Great ...... God in this case being a certain moustached, Georgian who had the good sense to die in the same year that I was born.

The Great Dictator

It will be full of drugs as usual. The civil servants will lie about the benefits of having it here like Drummond did.
We will win virtually nothing, most medals will go to the hypnotised Chinese team and those who choose steroids rather than sugar puffs.
London will have 53m visitors a day that will all spend £8467 each presumably on taxis and a la carte food.
We will offend some nations deliberately by hoisting the wrong flag or playing the wrong national anthem.
We will see our bronze medalists on TV for what seems a fu***ng eternity  :-[

rabbit

For the Closing Ceremony, LOCOG decided to replace the real fireworks spectacle with a virtual display (as per Shanghai 2008).

This decision was made following the inadvertant launch of anti-aircraft heat-seeking missiles during the real firework display in the Opening Ceremony.

(ref BBC TV TwentyTwelve.)

Ryehill

The Olympics will be huge success. Yes there will be a few hiccups but you can expect that because of the sheer magnitude of the whole event. Team G.B will win a record number of medals and the two Hartlepool girls will bring great credit to the town.
     I apologise for being so up beat.

Stig of the Seaton Dump

Hartlepool will get a million visitors during the Olympics for no specific reason, there will be an overall loss to the council as nobody will actually stop their car and park but on a positive front it will bring millions of pounds of inward investment, we will be renovating 100 tall ships at a time, building wind turbines as fast as the ships can take them, the contents of the land fills will be used to stuff commemorative teddy bears, the brining of more ghost ships will be foiled by Scooby Doo and Bill Gates will donate a world class hospital with staff to the centre of Hartlepool ...I was in the shower, it was just a dream. 
I don't believe it.

mk1

The concept of 'British' will be stretched to the limit as any medal winner who once  set foot in the UK will be claimed as an ex-pat.
Someone will run 5/100ths of a second faster than someone else and otherwise sane people will jump up and down over this insignificant event.

We will be having the word 'legacy' stuffed down our throats for the next year.

steveL

I think the games will have quite a positive effect because, although nearly every country seems to be in dire financial straits, the UK will come over as being unphased by the whole economic mess and still having the confidence to stage such a massive event successfully. Whatever the flaws in the national character, we do seem to have the ability to 'Keep Calm and Carry On'.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Vincent

Gold Metals: -
Biking 10
Swimming 6
running 2
throwing 0
jumping 0
Lifting 0
punching 4
sailing 4
rowing 3
shooting 2
an others 4

Fantastic event, makes me proud to be British

The Great Dictator

We haven't even had the opening ceremony yet and the North Koreans have re-adjusted the direction of their nuclear weapons.
Because of the recession the closing ceremony will consist of burning cars in Hackney and the sound of stolen mobiles from Tottenham court road.

Stig of the Seaton Dump

I can see this site getting a hammering as there will be nothing good on TV for weeks.
I don't believe it.

mk1

This weeks Private Eye hit the nail right on the head.........

The Great Dictator

Now theyre whining cos the players never sung the national anthem, why the fuc* should they if they are welsh or scottish !
If they played the welsh anthem would the english sing it !

Stig of the Seaton Dump

Do the Welsh have their own Royal family now ?
I don't believe it.

steveL

Weren't the Tudors Welsh? The Stuarts, Scottish, William II was Dutch -  not to mention the present Germans. Come to think of it - when did we last have an English Monarch? The Plantagenets were French and even Harold with the arrow in his eye went back to the Danish Canute.

My money would be Alfred of burnt cakes fame.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.