The E.U. and You.

Started by Ryehill, July 12, 2012, 10: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryehill

William Hague is to announce that he is launching a comprehensive audit of how E.U. membership affects British citizens. The point of this audit, according to W.H., is that there are many people out there, who have a far better idea than the Governmentof how the  E.U. affects their everyday lives. In other words he hasn't a clue how much this country is now controlled by the E.U.

Ryehill

William Hague is asking for information not giving it. Surely the government of the day should have that information at hand and not have to ask ordinary citizens for it . Would you accept that as something reasonable to expect ,Perseus?

marky

William Hague probably does have what he considers enough information but if he offered it as a guide then it would be viewed as biased and criticised as a result  - so he's asking for a third-party review which seems a perfectly legitimate route to me.

Ryehill

Perseus ,I think that you will find that U.K.I.P. ,and others , have been telling the government for years how the E.U. is  impacting on the lives of everyone in this country. The trouble is successive governments have not listened or if they have they have wrung their hands and said that there is nothing that we can do about it. Hague's initiative is welcome but a little late in the day.
           For anyone interested in Hague's proposal I suggest you log onto the conservative home website and read the many comments already made.

Ryehill

Perseus , in my original post did I say that Hague's initiative wasn't welcome?

Donkey Kong

Quote from: perseus on July 13, 2012, 08: AM
If the goal of this site is ultimately to become an alternative news site to the hartlepool mail, it won't be helped by you constantly chirping away about the EU.

It's bloody tedious, as I've said previously. 

The only explanation that I can think of for it being allowed so repetitively is that the admin are part of the UKIP mob and are trying to get the party message to people via a site that masquerades as being about local issues.

Ryehill

I would like to make a couple of points to D.K. and Perseus, if you find a thread tedious then don't read it. There have been a number of threads which I have ignored because either the topic doesn't interest me or I know that the contributor will post a load of nonsense. The other point is that implementation of E.U. directives cost Hartlepool B.C. a substantial amount of money every year. In other words the council tax payer foots the bill. Is that local enough for you?
         D.K.  To suggest that admin. are a part of U.K.I.P. is laughable. On numerous occassions S.Latimer has indicated his opposition to the aims of U.K.I.P. Admin. should be applauded for allowing free speech and not suppreessing it.

Vincent

Quote from: kipperdip on July 12, 2012, 02: PM
The simple truth is that governments know the answers but are determined that YOU the electorate do not get to find out the simple truth.
That truth being we spend billiions of pounds, both directly and indirectly to belong to this voracious, undemocratic institution and receive simply zero benefits.

The simple truth: - The EU is the world's largest and most liberalised economic bloc, giving British businesses access to a huge free trade area, boosting jobs and growth at home, attracting investment in the UK and opening up new business opportunities around the world.
Over 50% of British trade is with EU countries, worth £450 billion a year, and 3.5 million British jobs are dependent upon our trade within the EU - that's 10% of all British jobs.
The UK receives £350bn a year in Foreign Direct Investment from other EU countries and over the last 10 years, over 600 companies have chosen to locate their European headquarters in the UK.

popgoestheweasal.

The EU is a failed system, 

Ryehill

Tony Blair was once asked what are the benefits of membership of the E.U.? His reply was that the benefits were there for all to see. No other explanation. What Vincent has given us are a number of reasons, not all of them accurate, why Britain should be a member of the Common Market . This is what the  the British people  accepted in the 1975 referendum.                 
           What Vincent , and many other people , do not seem to realise is that the E.U. is a completely different beast to the E.E.C.  It is a political union and many of the directives which come from Brussels have got nothing at all to do with trade. When the E.E.C. was morphed into the E.U. the British people were denied any referendum by John Major. It was from that date that any real opposition to the E.U. can be traced.

mk1

Quote from: kipperdip on July 13, 2012, 05: PM
Farage also stressed the fact (still the case now) that the EU relies more on our trade than we do on their's.

Can you give the detail so we can see how the likes of Germany, France Spain and Italy 'rely' on our goods?

The  flag waving my country right or wrong  patriots are the problem in Europe.
One of my favourite politicians summed it up nicely when he  said that the  nostalgia  for the days of  'The Empire' has resulted  the UK  rushing 'hither and thither' containing  terrorism and in peacekeeping roles  clinging on the coat tails of the United States.
He said this delusion could only be described with terms derived from psychiatry because the underlying position (that the UK was a Global power) had  little contact with reality!

He recommended we should ditch the outdated global military commitments and stressed that Britain was a European power.

Wise words indeed.

mk1

Quote from: kipperdip on July 13, 2012, 05: PM
Farage demolished him by quoting the 'Rotterdam effect' and the vital fact that all trade is protected by the WTO and the EU could not stop the trade that exists if we were to leave the EU.

Typical scaremongering. Trade would not cease but it would get more expensive for the UK. Goods made within the EU would be cheaper.

And I find it risable to slight  Kinnock whilst ignoring bully boy Farage and his 'talk over everyone' and 'shout down the opposition' debating style.
Farage has all the finesse of a Badgers unwiped ar*se and he claims quite a lot of expenses for someone  saying he is
against the system!

See the following for a UKIP MEP making a complete and utter fool of himself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJoxUdTG0ak&feature=share

popgoestheweasal.

We should stop the OAP bus passes and winter allowance and give it to the euro MPs they are much more deserving.

Ryehill

If there ever comes a time when there is a referendum on our membership of the E.U. the pro E.U. camp will play the scaremongering game . They will claim that 3 million British jobs will be at risk if we leave the E.U. Maybe someone could explain why that should be case.
         We should also  look  at the other side of the argument. If we left the E.U. how many non-British E.U. jobs would be at risk? If there is to be a divorce then it is in all parties interest for it to be a harmonious one.

mk1

I think you will find the rest of the EU are not exactly shivering in fear at the thought of the UK leaving. Cameron has no chance at all or renegotiation our 'terms' because the others are not going to budge an inch. It is a case of live by the rules or 'bugger off mate'.
This may be music to the ears of the  little Englanders harking back to the days of the empire but if we do leave we will then have to be even more supine to American Foriegn policy. Our Army is (and has been for decades)rented out to the USA  and we slavishly follow their every adventure so we can claim we 'punch above our weight'. This translates as 'we are carried everywhere by the USA to  keep up the illusion we are a world power'.
Get real and remember the bankers and billionares who run the Tory Party will never let us leave the EU. There is too much money at stake for them to  even contemplate such a move.

Still waiting for the details of how the rest of the EU needs us more than we need them.................