HBC Press Release 60 Dutch Ships

Started by admin, June 18, 2014, 12: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

HARTLEPOOL COUNCIL
PRESS RELEASE

Media Opportunity

Tuesday 24th June at 1pm at Hartlepool Marina
(meet at the Lock Office at the end of Navigation Point)

Hartlepool set to welcome over 60 Dutch ships

HARTLEPOOL is preparing to welcome some special Dutch guests – in the form of over 60 private racing yachts.

The yachts – which average about 12 metres in length – are members of a Dutch coastal sailing association, the Nederlandsche Vereeniging Van Kustzeilers, and are sailing in from all over the Netherlands as part of a friendly race between various North Sea ports which the association holds each year.

They will arrive at Hartlepool Marina throughout Monday 23rd June and will leave on Wednesday 25th June before setting off to race to Newcastle and then on to Scotland.

The visit to Hartlepool is being hosted by Hartlepool Marina, which is providing the berths, and Hartlepool Council, which will welcome the estimated 150 skippers and crew at Hartlepool's Maritime Experience on the Tuesday evening.

Hartlepool's Mayor Councillor Stephen Akers-Belcher said: "I'm delighted that the crews have chosen to visit Hartlepool this year and I'm sure that local people will turn out to give them a really warm welcome.

"It's a great opportunity for the crews to see the many opportunities our town offers in terms of tourism and business and to hear about the work we are doing to lay the foundation of our future prosperity through the Hartlepool Vision. I'm sure they will spread the word when they return home."

Allan Henderson, Hartlepool Marina Director, added: "It's such a pleasure to welcome the yachts to Hartlepool – I'm sure the crews will be impressed.

"Our town has one of the largest marinas in the UK and the fact that we can accommodate over 60 visiting ships further enhances our reputation as a 'can do' town which we established when we hosted the Tall Ships in 2010."

While the yachts are berthed in the marina, the best place for the public to see them is from the Navigation Point car park, at the end nearest to the Lock Office. People will also be able to bid farewell to them as the leave through the marina lock gates on Wednesday 25th June between 11am and 12.30pm.

Ends.

Media note: There will be a photo and interview opportunity on Tuesday 24th June at 1pm when the Mayor of Hartlepool and Hartlepool Marina Director Allan Henderson will be available for photographs with the crews on the jetty in Hartlepool Marina against the backdrop of the moored yachts.

Press release PRO36546. 18 June 2014.
Issued by Julian Heward, Public Relations Officer, on 01429 523044.

pensionater

This can only be welcome news.I have posted before on this site were i have said that we should look at the likes of Whitehaven and the excellent use they make of their seafaring roots.They have their annual tallships weekend coming up and they have just had a visit from one of the most exclusive cruise ships in the world.We should not be afraid to take a lend of successful ideas from areas similar to our own.

fred c

I agree it will be a canny spectacle for local people.... but if "The Fat Boy" actually thinks any of the yacht crews will be even remotely interested in "Business Opportunities" in Hartlepool he is obviously experiencing a "Dear Leader" type vision.

It will however present an ideal opportunity for him to "Prance & Preen" in his Ceremonial Robes in from of the cameras..... so thats a load of Dutch yachtsmen & women Pi**ing themselves laughing at Hartlepools finest.

one direction

An annual Hartlepool-Holland Race was a regular feature of the sailing calandar back in the 1980's. I think it stopped when Hartlepool Yatch Club closed down and became part of Tees Sailing Club. Ironically I seem to remember, but could be wrong, was the reason the yatch club closed was so that the site could be redeveloped. Coastwatch moved into the club house temporarily and are still there. If you are sad enough

http://thyc.org.uk/index.php?page=Web-Cams

is a great link to watch the sea and the sailing dingies!

Inspector Knacker

I never tire of watching the sea...... :)
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.