Labour propose legal challenge to defend councillor pension subsidy

Started by SRMoore, January 15, 2013, 09: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SRMoore

The Local Government Chronicle reports that Labour council leaders are demanding a Judicial Review to defend subsidised councillor pensions. It says that the  Local Government Association  Labour group leader Cllr David Sparks said it was "extremely important that we do not just roll over on this [pension] issue" and suggested a legal challenge, adding: "I am expecting that the report we get in February will look seriously at the whole issue of judicial review."

Who would pay for the legal challenge? The Local Government Association - which means the Council Taxpayers (apart from in Bromley where the council isn't a member.) 

Jules Pipe, the directly elected Labour Mayor of Hackney claimed that the government thought councils "with £1bn-plus turnover can be run by an occasional few evening meetings." Is Mayor Pipe claiming that when Eric Pickles was leader of Bradford Council that Mr Pickles refused to attend any day time meetings? Or that Brandon Lewis reused to when leader of Brentwood Borough Council? What basis does Mayor Pipe have for such a silly misrepresentation.

Frankly if any councillor decides to stand down in protest at no longer being able to build up a subsidised pension then I would suggest they didn't have quite the right attitude to civic duty in the first place. In fairness I don't think may would. While around 5,000 sign up for the pension scheme that leaves 15,000 of us that don't. The overwhelming response of the 5,000 being told that they can no longer accumulate a higher pension is to shrug it off. I haven't heard of a single one threatening to resign.
Do the Labour Party agree with ending the £7 million a year subsidy for councillors pensions? It would seem not given the Shadow Communities Secretary Hilary Benn is talking up a legal challenge.

Another clue to Labour's priorities can be seen by what they are doing in Wales where all councillors are now paid a "basic salary" of £13,175 with Council leaders on £52,700. The Welsh councillors also retain an entitlement to the Local Government Pension Scheme.

http://conservativehome.blogs.com/localgovernment/2013/01/labour-propose-legal-challenge-to-defend-councillor-pension-subsidy.html

And less than a week since Labour MPs called on all councils to give councillors a rise in basic allowances so that the Labour party could cream more money off the tax payers. (Labour councillors have to give a percentage of their basic allowance to the party).

steveL

Quote: (Labour councillors have to give a percentage of their basic allowance to the party).

I didn't know that.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

SRMoore

Yup they do Steve. I did know the percentage but I've forgotten I'm afraid. Won't be hard to find out.

How many people knew some of our councillors may be putting away a little pension at the expense of the tax payer thanks to a change in the law under Blair.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9791530/Give-councillors-higher-allowances-MPs-say.html

craig finton

I suppose it's hard to express an opinion on this without knowing how many, if any at all, of our councillors are personally affected by this.