Council Loan for Pools

Started by fred c, March 22, 2018, 07: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred c

https://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/hartlepool-council-loans-pools-77-000-to-pay-wage-bill-1-9078318

I certainly don't want Pools to go under, but reading the article it smacks of out and out Electioneering....

Hartlepudlion

It's funny that HBC can find the money to loan to pools, a private organisation, but cannot fund adequately children and adult services and road repairs (particularly needed after the cold spell).

Is there an election in the offering?

Inspector Knacker

In dire straits, teetering on the edge of dropping out, desperate, unappealing and with a bleak outlook, but enough of some councillors prospects in the council elections.
Pools outlook is at least a bit more positive.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Lucy Lass-Tick

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on March 22, 2018, 07: PM
In dire straits, teetering on the edge of dropping out, desperate, unappealing and with a bleak outlook, but enough of some councillors prospects in the council elections.
Pools outlook is at least a bit more positive.

;D ;D ;D

Gustaf I of England + BWH

A £77,500 temporary loan, £72,500 of which is to be repaid by 1st September from the proceeds of deals in the transfer market, such monies to be repaid direct to HBC as agreed with the league and the purchasing clubs !!??

How do they know that there will be £72,500 worth of transfer deals before 1st. September and which clubs have agreed to pay money direct to HBC rather than through HUFC ?

Heknocks68

Just as wells the playing surface is not artificial, the leader may not like the colour and insist it be replaced by the cil left overs. Meanwhile the mantra, "government cuts" non of it is our fault continues like a worn out record.
Could this have been the straw that boke Mr. Devlin's back? 
At least the gentleman maintained his dignity, something beyond the comprehension of these "its never our fault" individuals, collective or otherwise.

Stig of the Seaton Dump

I see the Cranny Pot Noodle scheme is being run over Easter too.
Rossmere Park gets a half a million pound make over as Seaton Park is neglected.
Manor  bulk waste removals.

Might as well post rivers through letterboxes with vote Labour wrote on them.
I don't believe it.

Heknocks68

Quote from: Stig of the Seaton Dump on March 22, 2018, 09: PM
I see the Cranny Pot Noodle scheme is being run over Easter too.
Rossmere Park gets a half a million pound make over as Seaton Park is neglected.
Manor  bulk waste removals.

Might as well post rivers through letterboxes with vote Labour wrote on them.
Excellent observation.

The Great Dictator

Pools have just sold £72500 worth of players but don't get paid until September 1st.

mk1

One of the arguments being used to justify the taxpayer subsidy is that the crowds who come to home games bring money into the town. Does that not balance out with the money lost when  the home fans spend when they attend away matches?
If, as is claimed, Pools support is stronger than others in the League then that is a net loss of money.

Inspector Knacker

Forget the arguments and counter arguments, the calendar tells us all we need to know. The cavalry riding to the rescue are always popular.

DRiddle

As someone who had a season ticket as a kid, used to travel all over the country on away days and was even mascot one time as a nipper, I have a soft spot for Pools like many people in the town.

However, I imagine there are some tax payers a bit narked off at tax payers money being loaned to what is essentially a private company.

The most frustrating thing about this, speaking as a councillor, is that there are some elected members who only became aware of this when they read it in the paper.

One would have thought this would need to go before full council. Seems like it didn't need to and that Gill or Christopher have the autonomy to loan money to businesses as they see fit.

This sets a dangerous precedent in the view of many. We've basically established a banking arm . . . 

Inspector Knacker

So when a local company with financial difficulties, and needs a bit of help, can they turn up for a 'loan'.
Just a thought, but can the Leader now authorise loans to any deserving cause without consulting full council?

Lucy Lass-Tick

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on March 23, 2018, 12: PM
So when a local company with financial difficulties, and needs a bit of help, can they turn up for a 'loan'.
Just a thought, but can the Leader now authorise loans to any deserving cause without consulting full council?

Interesting thought...

Stig of the Seaton Dump

I thought you had to be licensed to be a money lender ?

What rate of interest ?
If it is 0% then it is a loss to the tax payer through inflation.
I don't believe it.