The People Power Index

Started by diSme, December 05, 2019, 09: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diSme

The People-Power Index: How did your MP score?

https://www.change.org/l/uk/the-people-power-index-how-did-your-mp-score

(Quite a bit of scrolling required to find Mike Hill)
I believe everything and nothing

Lucy Lass-Tick

Quite a few 'big names' appear fairly low on the list.

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: diSme on December 05, 2019, 09: AM

(Quite a bit of scrolling required to find Mike Hill)
See Mk1, apparently he's bumping into the great orator all the time.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

no6bus

fred c

So near the top then......Hartlepool really does deserve better, Wright was a local and never brought much to the town and in the 3 years Mike Hill has had the job he isn't any better.

Most if not all northern towns have suffered in the same way as Hartlepool, it isn't coincidental and it can only be laid at the door of National Labour, nailed down constituencies don't need to be pandered to by bringing in jobs.

Hartlepool may not be better off if it became a marginal seat, but can it really be any worse ?

mk1

Quote from: fred c on December 06, 2019, 06: PM
So near the top then......Hartlepool really does deserve better, Wright was a local and never brought much to the town and in the 3 years Mike Hill has had the job he isn't any better.

Most if not all northern towns have suffered in the same way as Hartlepool, it isn't coincidental and it can only be laid at the door of National Labour, nailed down constituencies don't need to be pandered to by bringing in jobs.

Hartlepool may not be better off if it became a marginal seat, but can it really be any worse ?

Its a common myth to think 'Hartlepools' troubles began in the 1960s. It started way before that. The decline set in after WW1 and in the 1930s there were schemes were workers were given assistance to move to the south and midlands were there were better employment prospects. Nothing really worked and WW2 'hid' the problem for 6 years before it came back with a vengeance in the 1950s. Its a problem that is beyond a single MP and it it is any consolation were are nowhere as near deprived as Middlesbrough.  Anyone who believes it can be fixed by a new party or MP is fooling themselves and a solution will take at least a generation even IF one is started tomorrow. No quick fixes and the claim that the fishing fleet can be brought back is just delusional. Its common knowledge that The EU has made Fishing rights  a central issue in any deal and  this will be one of the areas where Boris (if it is he) will concede in order to get better terms for The City.

It was Thatcher who ripped the remaining industry out of the area and even if you believe it was going to go under  anyway it can not be denied that is was a planned move by the Conservatives. It may be Thatcher built some new stuff among the ruins but never forget she laid waste to it first.
I can remember when the Marina etc was being built and we were regaled with all sorts or projections about the prosperity it would bring. In the end the  project imploded

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teesside_Development_Corporation

with  corruption on a massive scale with assets vanishing from the books, documents being shredded by the van-load  and millions of pounds unaccounted for.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/7082315.ex-tdc-boss-will-not-give-up-title/

THE former chairman of the controversial Teesside Development Corporation (TDC) last night fended off calls to give up his knighthood.
Sir Ron Norman OBE said he was unwilling to be drawn into an argument with his accusers, but criticised "personal attacks" on him.
Stockton North MP Frank Cook has questioned whether Sir Ron should be allowed to keep his knighthood in the wake of a damning report into the TDC.
The report by the National Audit Office (NAO) revealed how the defunct corporation had broken a series of rules and regulations.
A House of Commons Public Accounts Committee hearing was then told of how losses of up to £40m were piled up and sensitive documents shredded and destroyed..................................He said: "The truth of the matter is that the body over which he presided broke almost every principle of public service and accountability - ignoring the rules and doing deals which squandered huge amounts of public money."

Pressure is growing for a criminal investigation into the affairs of the TDC...

I despair that anyone is prepared to ignore all this history and fall for the lies of a new bunch of liars and thieves who have no ability to deliver on a single one of their election bribes.

akarjl2

I guess you will be moving out of the town then?

We are all doomed...doomed I tell you...
The Morons seemed to have gone but so have the normals.....

mk1

Quote from: akarjl2 on December 06, 2019, 07: PM
I guess you will be moving out of the town then?

We are all doomed...doomed I tell you...

I guess you were one of the suckers who fell for this pile of bollocks in 1994:

Back on route 66, Hartlepool and the sea hove into view. 'Population 95,000, unemployment around 15 per cent', says Hall. 'There's more money here than you might guess. Cash economy.'
Hartlepool, home of Robert the Bruce, Bisto and Chick 'Zing Went the Strings of My Heart' Henderson, has been on its downers for as long as anyone can remember. 'By the opening of the 18th century', writes Walter Gill in The Hartlepool Story, 'it was falling into further sad decay' Unemployment was 25. per cent in 1979; the last shipyard closed in 1962.
Geordies call Hartlepudlians 'Monkeyhangers' after the infamous incident during the Napoleonic wars when a monkey was taken for a French spy and hung. More recently, Hartlepool has been infamous for poverty, unemployment, drunkenness, child murder and the fastest relegating football club in the League. These have been exaggerated by the media, but even a chocolate box artist would find it hard to paint a rosy picture of the town. That is until Hall parks the Rover by the new sea wall.
Behind us is an extraordinary sight: a brand new late 18th century sea port, Hartlepool Historic Quay . 'Built in 52 weeks by Balfour Beatty. That's how we get things done here. Fixed price, fixed term contracts. No excuses for delays, no escape clauses

We sit outside an 18th century tavern (or what looks like one). 'The tavern didn't exist a day before it opened', says Hall. 'We had a set designer fit it out in less than 24-hours'. Today, it is jammed full. 'It'll be more popular next year when we open the biggest and best bingo hall in the country here.' The quay is expected to attract half-a-million visitors in 1995.

'There's no attraction to match this within miles. You've got York Minster and the Norvik Centre, Durham Cathedral and Beamish Open Air Museum, and that's it. By December we'll have Jackson's Landing, a mall of between 25 and 30 big name designer shops - Armani, Versace, the lot, and eight class restaurants. They'll come from miles away to shop here.'

Will they? Hall cites the example of the designer shopping mall opened recently in Street, Somerset where coachloads of shoppers pile down from Liverpool, Manchester and the West Midlands every day.

'The other dock is the site of the new Imperial War Museum. It's by Sir Norman Foster. We've got him on a design and build contract so we can get it built and fitted out in 52 weeks. We're also building 800 new homes around the new marina. We've sold most of them. You tell me which are council flats and which belong to yachties. You can't, can you? I like to see everyone mixed together, real life coming back to the town.'

Although not quite yet. Towns do not grow or repair themselves quickly. The encouraging sign is that the marina, quay and mall are linked to the town centre, unlike, say, the new marina at Southampton. Duncan Hall and his team are learning from the mistakes of earlier development corporations.

Inspector Knacker

You've been forecasting this doom and gloom crap on here for years. You constantly slag the place off and seem to get some twisted turn on from forecasting the worst.
Same old same old, move somewhere more to your liking and give us all a break.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.