Press Release - Recycling

Started by admin, March 21, 2017, 06: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Recycling centre charges to be introduced

CHARGES to dispose of certain types of waste at Hartlepool Council's Household Waste Recycling Centre (HWRC) are to be introduced from April 1.

The charges relate to waste that isn't typically generated during the day-to-day occupation of a home, including soil, hardcore, rubble, ceramics (including bathroom units), plate glass, plasterboard, cement-bonded asbestos sheets and tyres.

The disposal of everyday household recyclables, general household waste and green garden waste will continue to be free.

The Council will operate a sliding scale of charges based on the type and amount of waste. For example, it will cost £3 to dispose of a bag of soil weighing up to 25kg. Leaflets giving more information, including details of all charges and how to pay, are being handed out to visitors to the Burn Road site throughout this month. More information can also be found at www.hartlepool.gov.uk/recycle

Denise Ogden, Hartlepool Council's Director of Regeneration and Neighbourhoods, said: "We aim to provide the most comprehensive recycling and waste disposal service possible.

"However, there is no obligation for household waste recycling centres to take waste that isn't produced in the normal day-to-day occupation of a home. These types of waste are very expensive to dispose of, but by applying a charge the Council can continue to offer disposal facilities for these materials to residents who would otherwise find them difficult to get rid of."

On arrival at the HWRC, residents will have to agree with a member of staff the type and volume of waste to be disposed of, determining the charge. No cash or cheques will be accepted on site, only credit or debit cards. Alternatively, payment can be made at Hartlepool Civic Centre where a receipt will be given. The receipt should be taken to the HWRC when disposing of waste.

From April 1, the HWRC will operate at the following times: April-October; 9am-12pm and then 1-6pm, November-March; 9am-12pm and then 1-4pm.

Photo caption: The Household Waste Recycling Centre in Burn Road

Press release pr25792. March 20 2017.
Issued by Steve Hilton, Senior Public Relations Officer, on (01429) 284065.

Steve Hilton | Senior Public Relations Officer
Hartlepool Borough Council

kevplumb

oooh that will go down well with  MD   ;D ;D ;D
A councillor is an elected representative of their ward, not their political party!
Councils need communities but communities don't need councils
Party politics have no place in local goverment

akarjl

Whos gonna drop this particular grenade of sh**e at a council meeting? Oddly the snail has not picked up on this......

fred c

Heaven hath no fury like a Mad Dog scorned...........

Central Government, Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah..... not the fact that the town was bound to be even more badly affected by fly tipping when they decided to charge for the Burn Road Dump...... I just shake my head and wonder at their stupidity.

WhatTheHeck

Quote from: seaton on April 09, 2017, 06: AM
Or are they ?
https://www.pressreader.com/uk/the-sunday-telegraph/20170409/281500751109028

HBC will probably ignore this as it is only 'Government guidance' and does not appear to be enforceable.
No relation to Whattheheck from the mail !

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: WhatTheHeck on April 09, 2017, 11: AM
Quote from: seaton on April 09, 2017, 06: AM
Or are they ?
https://www.pressreader.com/uk/the-sunday-telegraph/20170409/281500751109028

HBC will probably ignore this as it is only 'Government guidance' and does not appear to be enforceable.
They are good at ignoring things though. That said I can't see them listening to a mere government when we have a collection of the worlds finest intellects in charge of our council chamber with a wealth of knowledge of everything known to mankind. Or possibly not.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Steely Dan

As well as being a fly tippers charter there's going to be chaos down ar t'dump.

The jobsworths down there are bad enough to deal with when the tipping is free. When their jobs depend on income for the council it will turn them into total tyrants.

Expect all the little roads round town to full of fly tipping.

mk1

Quote from: Steely Dan on April 09, 2017, 04: PM

The jobsworths down there are bad enough to deal with when the tipping is free. When their jobs depend on income for the council it will turn them into total tyrants.

I once was the 'victim' of one of the bellicose bell-ends. An oaf with a broad Scottish accent who went ballistic when I questioned his authority. He went purple and arms and threats were flying all over the place. His mates must have thought he needed help so I got the full wagon-load of them menacing me. I simply made fun of them and stood my ground. When I said ' this is all on camera mate' cue 3 men spinning around checking for camera and then slinking back to the safety of the wagon. The Celtic cnut had an accent so broad that I asked him to slow down and speak more slowly so I could understand him. He replied 'I kin git U dun fur racial discrimination pal'
Speaking (later)with someone who works with him I was told they all have the option of issuing infraction notices but only a certain few  actually do it. I was also told that all the times people were sanctioned or wrong bins/out too early etc were found to be illegal because the Council did not  go through the correct procedure. Instead of contacting these victims the council forbade the staff from telling anyone and it never became public.

kevplumb

had the same sort of carp years ago from one of them  signed van but waste from my own house
wouldn't let me in started reading the riot act etc
told him to p*ss off and took it to claxton that was still open then
pulled in
the lads said what have you got mate ?

copper pipe, steel radiators
old cast iron boiler, old brass valves etc

I opened the doors and they unloaded it for me just wish that pratt in burn road had been there  ;D
attitude shot himself right in the foot  ;D
A councillor is an elected representative of their ward, not their political party!

pieface

Looks like they better save up all the £3 a go to tip to cover the loss of court case costs. Charging even for home DIY was not allowed from March 2015 by order of UK government..

http://www.bailii.org/uk/legis/num_reg/2015/uksi_2015973_en_1.html

testing times

I think everyone is aware what an intellectually challenged piece of work Marjorie James is but council officers must surely have some responsibility for this too. Is it not their role to highlight any legal constraints on a councillor's 'brilliant' ideas?

kevplumb

Quote from: testing times on April 10, 2017, 07: AM
I think everyone is aware what an intellectually challenged piece of work Marjorie James is but council officers must surely have some responsibility for this too. Is it not their role to highlight any legal constraints on a councillor's 'brilliant' ideas?

I get the impression that whatever they say she ignores
so they just let her keep digging

and let's be fair she is doing a bl**dy good job of it at the moment  ;D

steveL

On the subject of bin men. I had a passing conversation with someone walking his own dog in Wynyard Forest today who had been employed as a binman by an agency contracted to Redcar Council - minimum wage, no guaranteed hours. (remember Redcar is another Labour council)

He told me that he had been paid off from the agency last year with no notice or redundancy. After the closure of SSI, the Government had thrown money at the problem and one of the schemes was that employers willing to take on a former SSI worker would receive £15,000 for each SSI worker they took on.

So that's what Redcar and Cleveland Council did.

They paid off all of their agency-supplied binmen and instead offered the jobs to SSI workers pocketing the £15,000 for each one. The impact on the unemployment levels was precisely zero as the process merely swapped one unemployed statistic for another.

The unions weren't interested and because the jobs remained on minimum wage, each job swap netted the council the full £15,000 to spend on what it liked.

Welcome to the UK in 2017.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

crisstw

That's disgusting but doesn't actually surprise me.