Hartlepool Life

Started by Steely Dan, March 06, 2017, 12: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steely Dan

I was in the cricket club Iver the weekend and was told by a very good source that Leo Gillen Snr is launching a weekly newspaper in town.

Anyone know any more?

steveL

oh do catch up!

Hartlepool Life it's a freebie due on or about March 25th. He's supposed to be trying to woo HBC into placing their public notice advertising in it in preference to the Mail. Is he still a Labour stalwart?
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

marky

Well if it's anything like his frozen Quiche Lorraines it will be out of date

Steely Dan

SteveL. I'm obviously well out of touch. How come you know that?

My source is a friend of Gillen. I thought I was getting hot gossip?

Wasn't there a paper called Hartlepool Life years back.

Land Phil

Wasn't that the one the Mail sued for stealing their staff ?

mk1

Steely Dan

Oh and my mate told me that rumours abour Councillor Close being involved are bollox.

But I bet you knew that as well. You're well informed, I'll give you that.

You should start a newspaper :-)

steveL

I can remember the Hartlepool Times and then the Mail brought out The Star as competition - both freebies and full of adverts.

This latest offering was talked about on here a couple of weeks ago. I heard he's aiming for a 30,000 initial run probably as leverage over The Mail's lousy 5,000 circulation to win over the council and it's obligatory public notices. Available in all good Gillen Shops by all accounts
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

steveL

I think it was he who first mentioned it on here. The Cricket Club must be a great source for yesterday's news - a bit like the game - the only game where the action replays are quicker than the real thing.

I've seen a dummy run of Hartlepool Life and it looks very well presented but content is King.

mk1

Quote from: steveL on March 06, 2017, 12: PM
I heard he's aiming for a 30,000 initial run probably as leverage over The Mail's lousy 5,000 circulation to win over the council and it's obligatory public notices.

And there is the rub. Is he after the Add money and the paper is just a means to an end?
If he does get the adds then it is unlikely he will put it in jepordy by being overly curious about the source of (for example )the Cranney Clan income. I do not think we will be seeing adds for investigative reporters any time soon.
If he employs delivery staff and he can shift 10,000 a day I think he will be on a winner with a free Births-Deaths etc. People are paying crazy money at the moment to reach 5000 Mail readers.

Steely Dan

Steve L you mention content. But where is the content coming from?

Does Gillen still have his shops? I thought he'd sold out? McColls?

Steely Dan

Surely the Mail won't sit idly by and let him steal their council money?

Maybe they can't do anything about it?

fred c

Maybe someone should Copy & Paste this page to Joy Yates...... she might just take the Hump with Cwissy the Clowncillor & his circus pets

Land Phil

Where will the content come from ? ...

Half of the Mail content comes from Facebook and is often lifted without speaking to those involved.

akarjl

Quote from: steveL on March 06, 2017, 12: PM
Is he still a Labour stalwart?

Well he was particularly friendly with Mandy Mandelson...