Extraordinary Council Meeting - Elected Mayor for Combined Authority

Started by admin, October 27, 2016, 09: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

EXTRAORDINARY MEETING OF COUNCIL

Following discussion with the Ceremonial Mayor, it has been agreed to hold an extraordinary meeting of Council on Thursday 24 November, 2016 at 7.00 pm to consider the draft Order which would confer functions and powers upon the Mayoral Tees Valley Combined Authority and the balance of powers between the Combined Authority and its Mayor.

At its meeting on 12 November, 2015, Council agreed to support the ‘Devolution Deal’ but this was ‘subject to this Council’s approval to and detailed involvement in the formulation of the constitution of the new Combined Authority.’

In unison with the other constituent councils, reports are being brought to each council and the Combined Authority to seek their formal consent to the Order (which in turn would be subject to formal Parliamentary approval) that would regulate the powers and functions of the Mayor and the Combined Authority. Members are requested to note this date for their attendance

Inspector Knacker

Will our representative on the TVA turn up for this meeting ?
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

steveL

So many people are oblivious to all of this it's actually quite frightening but I have a feeling as this day approaches and the penny starts to drop this is all going to explode spectacularly.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Lord Elpus

fred c

It might need the Town Hall, maybe opposition councillors can request that option, although after Cranney's antics at the last meeting there, The Dear Leader & The LabMob won't be keen on that venue.

The town could really do with a very vocal packed house for this one, just to show Cwisy the Clown the depth of feeling against his little plan.

DRiddle

Maybe the penny has finally dropped for SOME of Hartlepool Labour. They spent 10 years+ trying to get rid of a non-Labour democratically elected Mayor who had more power than they could cope with. Then they denined the people of Hartlepool due democratic process and are likely to land us with . . . A non-Labour democratically elected mayor who'll have more power than they can cope with.

In my opinion, Christopher sold the local Labour sheep the yarn that the 'Teesside Mayor' wouldn't have very much power and Hartlepool will still govern itself. He/she WILL, and we WONT.

I anticipate some very significant back peddling in this meeting. You can see how this will pan out. In the fullness of time we'll be told there is no need for 200+ councillors across the combined authority, and there will be cuts in the number of seats and amalgamations and expansions of a wards territory. 'Lifers' like Carl and M.D will find there isn't enough space at the trough.

I see this as Christopher convincing the sheep that there'll be a meal ticket for all of them. When in reality, he'll be dining from the top table and the rest of them will be at the food banks.

Many of them are just too stupid to realise how this will play out.

Crazy times.

steveL

No I can't see it.

Back-tracking would mean Calamity Chris admitting that he was wrong and sheer stubbornness will prevent that from ever happening.

Words That Haunt

"In 2012, Labour Leader Christopher Akers-Belcher said prior to the referendum which abolished the role of an
elected Mayor in Hartlepool that “It is only right and proper that the people of Hartlepool are given the opportunity to indicate how they wish to be governed.”

He's spent much of the time since arguing that there has been no change of governance to require a referendum even though soon after he first claimed this, the combined authority set up a panel specifically to Review the Change in Governance the combined authority had produced.

He's a bit stuck now, though. No one could argue that the creation of an elected Mayor for the Combined Authority covering all five local authorities does not mean a change in governance. CAB has also weakened his own position by not turning up to the combined authority meetings leaving us unrepresented.

I know that there are a number of Labour Councillors unhappy about this whole business and if the only way he can get this through is via the labour whip then it could well be the end of him.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Inspector Knacker

This is a much bigger, more fundamental and far reaching change than the mayoral coup.

fred c

It really is difficult to understand why, 20 or so councillors can commit the town to an amalgamation that 75% of the adult population doesn't want, whats even more difficult to grasp is, that some of those 20 don't want it either.

In effect the Labour Whip has & still is forcing councillors to put the local labour party before the people of Hartlepool, we all know the people responsible for forcing this through & why they are doing so.

We also realise that the councillors allowance of around £6000 is the reason why the paper machê councillors in the rear seats go along with every tin pot plan that is put in front of them, I have been attending council meetings for a long time now & have yet to hear some of them speak, apart from for or against.

I often ask myself, exactly who, is going to get what out of this, I don't need a pencil & paper to work it, but obviously the takers in the reat seats need the help of 'Big Blue'

Only in Hartlepool & Only Under The LabTor Mob

Inspector Knacker

It's the triumph of party over the people.
I can't help but wonder did they learn nothing from the Cleveland farce which saw the town on a steady decline whilst other parts of the empire flourished. Or do they even know about it. Maybe someone should have told them.

Lord Elpus

I understand some of the Council Leaders are starting to get a bit twitchy over this meeting.

The Kremlin is awash with rumours of flour bombs and stink bombs being stockpiled by the 'plebs'  (no not you Tom Hind).  They are wondering just what form possible civil disobedience take.

We could see Councillors in stab vest yet again.

steveL

There is no need for us to have an elected Mayor foisted on us. The Government has changed its stance on the subject of Elected Mayor's being a pre-condition for Combined Authorities. In addition. the North East Combined Authority has now collapsed in tatters.

...and all this for the suits, busy trying to secure their own contracts, to salivate over £15m a year . . . compare that to the estimated £15bn going on a 3rd Heathrow runway and the £15bn already spent on Crossrail.

They make us look like Oliver asking for a second helping of gruel.

steveL

Quote from: Lord Elpus on November 01, 2016, 01: PM
I understand some of the Council Leaders are starting to get a bit twitchy over this meeting.

The Kremlin is awash with rumours of flour bombs and stink bombs being stockpiled by the 'plebs'  (no not you Tom Hind).  They are wondering just what form possible civil disobedience take.

We could see Councillors in stab vest yet again.

My understanding is that the ribbon tape is bullet proof.  ;)

fred c

"There is a do it yourself test for paranoia........ you know you've got it when you can't think of anything that's your fault"......

Who on earth comes up with this claptrap, next thing you know they will be bolting chairs to the floor & hiring a dozen bouncers to control the Mob.

When will they realise, they are the reason for any civil disobediance, not the council tax payers, btw, civil disobediance is usually a vocal protest, not Armageddon, as some of the numpties within The Mob seem think.

This 'Extraordinary Meeting' should be conducted in the Town Hall, there will be discussions on the most important decision taken about the town in the last 20 years & this council has a moral duty to allow as many people as possible to attend the meeting.

Oi......... Gill, Peter, Cwissy, Lying Ste, MD, Cranney, Carl......... book the Town Hall there is likely to be big audience