Unintended consequences of hospital leaving the town ??

Started by dowager, March 26, 2014, 05: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dowager

I spoke with Mohammed Menabawe, consultant a few months ago, and he reckoned that the closure and transfer of services of the hospital to Wynyard, would be a bigger blow to the town than the closure of the shipyards 50+ years ago, from which the town never really recovered. £70 million of the £100 million budget was wages

He said that all the top people had already moved to Wynyard, many of them from Hartlepool, that the top priced houses in town would not be moving because there was no-one with the wages to support the mortgages anymore, and that more and more businesses would close - the ones where they were dependent on 'spare' disposable income

There are still rumours that marks and Spencer will close, like at South Shields, Lotus Garden closed (or rather didn't renew the lease) and this afternoon, stalwart Algerian Poolie Krimo Bouabda has announced that he will not be renewing the lease on Krimo's restaurant in the marina and put it up for sale

http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/business/krimo-s-restaurant-put-up-for-sale-on-hartlepool-marina-1-6523111

Jamescampbell78

This is a very good point. The hospital was one of the few places employing large numbers of people who live in the town. I've never worked in Hartlepool since 1999 and know lots of other people in the same boat. Got a lot of NHS mates who've ended up working in Newcastle, Stockton and Middlesbrough. Some people won't be able to stand that kind of a commute and may move with the work if the job is worth their while but what about the 100's of non medical support staff like the cleaners etc. What chance have they even got of a job elsewhere in town?

It'd be major news if a company that employed 500+ people was closing down but not so with the hospital.

fred c

It`s a pity our elected "Member" didn`t bother looking into the damage that would be caused by the destruction to the Infrastructure that surrounds the Hospital "Business".

It has never been "Just" about the lack of care to Hartlepudlians but the loss of Jobs & Monetary Benefit has always been a major reason for the hospital to stay open, our "Member" & "The Mob" did the square root of F**k All, about any of the problems that have been apparent to all but the "Delusional Visionaries"  that are driving the Hartlepool Bus into the chasm of of Oblivion.

Hartlepudlion

Yep! Another example of Labour forgetting its working class roots. >:( :-[

Inspector Knacker

Don't forget the future job prospects going west as well... they aren't just getting rid off the present jobs but those of future grnerations..... and just exactly are they oing to finally announce the decision on Brigadoon  General.....  aka the Wynyard Shangri la.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Lord Elpus

Way back in 2003 when the Strategic Health Review was first launched it was pointed by a number of people that the NHS was the second largest employer in town after HBC.  All politicians and Officers were made aware at every opportunity that the loss of our hospital would have a detrimental effect on Hartlepool as a whole.

Over 300+ young people leave Hartlepool every year to go to university, very few come back and find work which uses their degree. 

notenoughsaid

Whilst accepting this post may be slightly "off thread" I picked up on some of the quotes by "Krimo" via the link.  He has obviously been a highly successful businessman and seems to have passion for the town.  I feel I must admit that I have been very satisfied with the service provided, being value for money. I dont know the gent and he wouldn't know me from Adam, or"S.Close "for that matter!!!Using words such as "serving the town" and "full of waffle" I feel he could possibly be a good candidate for a future MP.   Just a thought.   Good luck for the future Krimo.   Lets all get back to problem solving rather the back-biting thats going on right now. If the cap fits then wear it.!!!!!