Philanthropy?

Started by Lucy Lass-Tick, March 06, 2013, 12: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucy Lass-Tick

I'm not too sure what to think about this. Part of me sees this as a logical way of getting people the goods/services directly tailored to their needs; the other part sees this as a throwback to the old 'parish' system where those in need of help didn't have any say as to the form this assistance would take.

http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/local/help-on-hand-via-vouchers-1-5469503

SRMoore

QuoteIn 2011-12, the DWP discretionary social fund payments in Hartlepool totalled £601,900, with £211,400 on crisis loans and £390,500 on community care grants to 6,670 applicants
Just a few days ago a friend of mine called me to vent his anger and disbelief at what he had just been listening to at the school gates. He proceeded to tell me how two twenty-something mothers had been discussing the best way of getting a crisis loan so that they could 'go out' around Middlesbrough at the weekend.

Now I know that these two women probably represent a very small proportion of those people who apply for a crisis loan but it strikes me that the fact these two would automatically assume they would be able to get money for a night out by claiming for a crisis loan, shows that the system is broken. If giving vouchers of paying utility bills is a way of solving that issue then I'd be more than happy to see it tried.

steveL

. . . and by offering Primark vouchers we also get the chance to support child labour in the far east. Who said politicians had no heart?  ;)
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

mk1

Quote from: SRMoore on March 06, 2013, 12: PM

Now I know that these two women probably represent a very small proportion of those people who apply for a crisis loan................

If only the Lady doth protest-eth as much when well connected millionaire Merchant Wankers applied for their crisis 'loans'.
It seems to me we could give everyone in the UK  a million quid each and still not  be anywhere near  the amount gifted to the  Bullingdon set.
Contrast the  stealth 'bedroom tax' on the poor with  Osbourne grovelling in Europe to keep his  mates  in the  million pound 'bonus scheme for failure' club.
It is the only lottery where you don't need to but a ticket and all prizes are guaranteed.

PS.
If the young lady does get her LOAN then we can be comforted by the fact she will  probably pay more tax (by spending it) than Rolls Royce......................

The Great Dictator

Food vouchers for Aldi are the way forward for the full time unemployed, it might stop them gambling on Foxybingo.com.

If you have a crisis then stop fu**ing smoking you fat ankled wenches and get a job.

Rolls Royce should be excluded from paying tax because they employ 12000 people.

They could move to Poland and get a better deal than here.

Lucy Lass-Tick

@The Great Dictator ... too many archetypes tend to weaken rational thought  ;)

mk1

Quote from: Lucy Lass-Tick on March 06, 2013, 05: PM
@The Great Dictator................
will have to try harder.
I  am too long in the tooth to be caught out by a deliberate flame-bait.