Fire Brigade 'Plc'?

Started by Lucy Lass-Tick, March 04, 2013, 10: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucy Lass-Tick

Interesting article regarding the potential 'privatisation' of Cleveland Fire Brigade. I note that a department for communities and local government spokesman said: "Claims that the Government intends to privatise the fire service are completely untrue.

"The Government does want to back locally-led mutuals and parliament will absolutely have the opportunity to scrutinise our plans to support employee-led cooperatives."

Another CIC perhaps? Maybe it's the new opportunity that a certain chappy could just be looking for ...  ;)

http://www.darlingtonandstocktontimes.co.uk/news/10264106.Fire_service_in_the_North_East_to_be__privatised__next_year/?ref=rss

SRMoore

I have no idea where this whole story has come from. As the spokesperson said, there are no plans to privatise the fire service.

I can only assume this is another union led scare story that will keep getting printed in the local press until people believe it is true and vote Labour in to protect our fire brigade from the evil tories.

steveL

Strange response, Shane. The article quotes 'a man from the ministry' and a letter sent by a local MP, so isn't it rather obvious that it's legit? What are you saying, that the Echo has made the whole thing up?
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

marky

This sounds a little too close to a CIC company for comfort. Cranney will probably have his calculator out already.

Taken from Wikipedia
A mutual, mutual organization, or mutual society is an organization (which is often, but not always, a company or business) based on the principle of mutuality. Unlike a true cooperative, members usually do not contribute to the capital of the company by direct investment, but derive their right to profits and votes through their customer relationship.[dubious – discuss] A mutual organization or society is often simply referred to as a mutual.
A mutual exists with the purpose of raising funds from its membership or customers (collectively called its members), which can then be used to provide common services to all members of the organization or society. A mutual is therefore owned by, and run for the benefit of, its members - it has no external shareholders to pay in the form of dividends, and as such does not usually seek to maximize and make large profits or capital gains. Mutuals exist for the members to benefit from the services they provide and often do not pay income tax.[1]
Profits made will usually be re-invested in the mutual for the benefit of the members, although some profit may also be necessary in the case of mutuals for internal financing to sustain or grow the organization, and to make sure it remains safe and secure.

SRMoore

Quote from: steveL on March 04, 2013, 11: AM
Strange response, Shane. The article quotes 'a man from the ministry' and a letter sent by a local MP, so isn't it rather obvious that it's legit? What are you saying, that the Echo has made the whole thing up?
I'm not suggesting that at all, Steve. This story has been doing the rounds in local papers around the country. There seems to be no real reason for why it came about. It's as if the Fire Brigade Union or someone else decided the tories will surely privatise the fire brigade next so we'll release a press statement condemning it.

As the 'man from the ministry' said. It ain't happening.

john riddle

Fireman Sam's uniforms on ebay along with a fire engine. http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Cars-Motorcycles-Vehicles-/9800/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=fire+engines
unless of course there are plans to repaint some of the "organisations" vehicles red.