Lets have a conversation about the standards of education in Hartlepool

Started by Vincent, February 27, 2013, 09: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vincent

In a previous topic I stated that Hartlepool had great schools and got this reply from SteveL -

"No, we don't. They consistently under-perform when compared to the national average and as a result we continue to fail our kids. Being too willing to accept mediocrity is one of Hartlepool's biggest problems".

DRiddle (a teacher) tried to defend but backed off when challenged.

So, just how bad is Hartlepools education system and its teachers - who is to blame - whats to be done or is SteveL right, do we just accept mediocrity in all of our services eg roads, rail, policing, health, environment and most importantly the education and future of our children. 

SRMoore

I have to agree with much of what Stephen said really. The lack of aspiration in Hartlepool really worries me. The fact that the political class gets off on talking them down and telling them and the world that they'll never achieve as much as a child from a leafy suburb down south only adds to the mentality that our children can't achieve so shouldn't bother trying.

I firmly believe that grammar schools are one of the greatest tools for social mobility. Why we should make people feel guilty because they may excel more than their peers academically is beyond me. We should be encouraging these children, not putting them into a one size fits all system and hope they can still achieve something close to their true potential. 

The Great Dictator

Hartlepool is a fine town but is inhabited with rather a lot of people with no vision or ambition.
The lack of opportunities and work doesn't help but the general opinion of future security doesn't exist.
Holding tramps like Chelsea Ferguson as a benchmark to success makes me want to boil my own head.  :(

Stig of the Seaton Dump

Probably just repeating, but for aspiration you need a role model and they are more scarce than hen's teeth in this town.

Nobody looks up to the police, their doctor or any authority these days and it is no surprise when you are more likely to hear a story about scandal than a medal being awarded.  The Mail isn't even good enough to wrap fish and chips in these days.

Some people are more likely to throw a party because they have won some 'compo' than because their child has got good grades.
Always looking for short term quick gratification ...the Greggs generation that can't see what they are doing to themselves today and without a care for tomorrow.
I don't believe it.

Vincent

Disagree with stephen allison
Disagree with SRMoore
Disagree with testicles
Disagree with Stig

Teachers are there to inspire kids to aspire and should be role models
There are people who have vison and ambition for their kids - Teachers and Parents
There opportunities to join the"professional class" or even become an MP.
The majority of kids do look up to the authorities
The political classes encourages ambition (would not dare to do any other)
The return of the 11+ and grammer schools will only encourage class division

My question was just how bad is Hartlepools education system and its teachers - who is to blame - whats to be done

All I have read so far is - "accept mediocrity"

mk1

A bit ironic that the derided 'Compo culture'  is (in the main) the  bastard child of the greedy middle/upper class solicitor fraternity!
I went to a grammar school and our  boss was always threatening pupils they would be 'sent down the road' to an (implied) inferior establishment. Little did he realise  a few years later he would end up as headmaster of  said 'inferior' school.

DRiddle

QuoteDRiddle (a teacher) tried to defend but backed off when challenged.

I don't think it's fair to say I backed off. What I did was defend my own place of work categorically. I think it was right to do that. My place current of work is a good school, a great school, with a fantastic Sixth Form College.

However, given the nature of the job I do, I did back off and shy away from commenting on the situation with other schools. I do not think it would be fair or appropriate for me to comment directly on standards or achievement in other institutions. Particularly on a public message board.

Everyone contributing to this thread so far is not in my position and can essentially say whatever they want to. I would hope people would agree that I do not feel it appropriate for me to comment on this particular thread (other than to clarify my belief that I did not 'back off').

Lucy Lass-Tick

DRiddle is quite correct in abstaining from commenting on schools other than his own; to do otherwise could be be deemed unprofessional and potentially dangerous to relationships with other schools.

By the way, the 11 plus was NOT the last chance for children to go to grammar school, as there was some movement between schools in the first year or so of secondary education.  I did attend a grammar school (not in Hartlepool, to be fair), and remember girls from other schools being transferred to us once it was deemed more appropriate to their needs.

Inspector Knacker

Look at the people who run all our lives then stop wondering why we are where we are.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

The Great Dictator

Vincent, stop blaming teachers for the state of Hartlepool, try blaming the parents.

no6bus

having an almost daily interaction with schoolchildren in hartlepool the most basic maths is beyond many of them.
how much to xxxx school ?. 85p is the reply. how much for 2 of us? now we are talking 11 years and older and they cant add up a basic sum. 1 havent singled out any school as it is a town wide issue.

Vincent

Quote from: testicles on February 27, 2013, 04: PM
Vincent, stop blaming teachers for the state of Hartlepool, try blaming the parents.

Please look at my initial post before going off subject

I would like answers not a war of words, the subject is to important

rabbit

how much for 2 of us?

Fair question. A bogof deal perhaps? Smart kids.

SRMoore

Quote from: rabbit on February 27, 2013, 04: PM
how much for 2 of us?

Fair question. A bogof deal perhaps? Smart kids.
My son attends a primary school in the north of Hartlepool and we are very happy with the standard of teaching and support so far. I remember the headmaster stating quite clearly during a welcoming assembly for new parents that whilst the school will always strive to bring out the very best in our children they are not the sole provider of education and that it is up to all parents to invest time in educating their children to the best of their abilities. I knew from then on I'd get on with him.

Education doesn't stop at the school gates.

Vincent

Agree with LL that Driddle should dip out of this one but he must accept that he and his collegues are in the driving seat and are there to be shot at, you cannot keep blaming the system and the parents when kids cant add 2 x 85 or read at the age of 11

Good teachers are role models, mentors, white knights if you like, Mr Riddle said "If you teach young people to CARE, and teach them that they CAN influence things, make a difference, that NOTHING is beyond them"

So whats going wrong?