As God is My Witness ....

Started by steveL, February 26, 2016, 02: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveL

More to come on this. I thought I'd stretch it out a bit to enjoy the exquisite irony .....

Rotherham is being run by 'council commissioners' after most of its previous directors were wiped out after the abuse scandal. This means that they have to be very careful about who they recruit to replace them.

Anyway, apparently HBC isn't the only council to have a spin department. I think their next word on the matter will  probably be 'ooops'.

Damien Wilson is new Strategic Director of Regeneration & Environment
Published Thursday, 4th February 2016
New Appointment
Damien Wilson

Rotherham Council has appointed its new Strategic Director of Regeneration & Environment, the fourth appointment of the authority's new permanent senior leadership team in 2016.

The recruitment of Damien Wilson was made by the Council's Commissioners and new Chief Executive supported by an all-party panel of councillors, and means that the Council has only one permanent senior appointment left outstanding.

In addition to taking responsibility for regeneration and environment, Damien's remit will cover planning, transport, culture, leisure, heritage, sport, tourism and community safety.

Damien will also take a lead on the Council's Economic Development Strategy, with its vision to create 10,000 new jobs in Rotherham, as well as being the Council's voice in Sheffield City Region.

Damien has been Assistant Director of Regeneration at Hartlepool Council since 2010, and has wide local authority experience, having previously worked at Gosport, Dumfries & Galloway, Bath & North East Somerset, Kennet, North Tyneside and Gateshead councils.

Speaking of his appointment, Damien said he was 'thrilled' to be joining Rotherham Council.

He added: "As someone who has worked for seven local authorities across the UK, in some of the most complex and challenging environments, I'm looking forward to bringing my experience, together with a passionate and dynamic approach, to deliver good quality services for the people of Rotherham.

"Having successfully run my own businesses for a number of years and working in local authority for 25 years, I know that it takes creative solutions to benefit the local community. Looking after the local economy and empowering residents will be my priorities, and I very much welcome the opportunity to contribute personally to the Council's ambitious vision to deliver in these areas."

Damien is expected to be in post in April.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Darknessontheedgeoftown

Ironic indeed. I love irony. Getting a comfy seat for this one.

steveL

This is a weird one. Damien Wilson hands his notice in to HBC to take up a job at Rotherham but then it comes to light that he allegedly clobbered a Jehovah's Witness on his door step and was prosecuted as a result. Rotherham, who have already fired a Press Release announcing his imminent arrival, change their mind and withdraw their offer.

Consequently, Wilson tries to withdraw his notice with HBC but he is told 'no deal' (presumably, they've already arranged the party and to have all of the locks changed) leaving him in no-man's land. Now there's talk of HBC arranging 'a sweetener' to Rotherham to take him on.

I think the general reaction to all of this will be, 'what the f*c*!!! :o :o'

Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

marky

lol.....oh please tell me this is true. There are so many questions that could follow this

Foggy

A little birdy told me the same story the other day. I heard his criminal record check had revealed something that was going to scupper the Rotherham job but I didn't know what exactly.

I can't see Rotherham taking him on under the circumstances. Their council can hardly risk anymore bad publicity. HBC clearly want to see the back of him so you have got to ask yourself why do they care what happens to him? Why would they go to the effort of offering Rotherham a sweetener? I just can't think of any possible reason ;)

marky

Take back my notice or else.........?

fred c

HBC have no need to do anything, he resigned his position, HBC have no further responsibility towards him.

Unless of course, as marky has mentioned.....

Take back my notice or else.........?

testing times

I think that they would be very stupid indeed to go down this path and if they have already done so then it's only a matter of time before we'll be reading all about it.

seaton

Most employers will do a CRB check especially a position of responsibility, maybe one his friends from a local recycling company or one of their subsidiaries might offer him a job.

craig finton

So Rotherham do a CRB check and find this out which begs the question' why didn't Hartlepool?

Three possible answers that I can think of:

1) Hartlepool don't bother to get their senior recruits CRB checked
2) They did get a CRB check done and chose to ignore it
3) Wilson was prosecuted while he was a council employee

I don't see the council coming out of it with any gold stars whichever it is.

mk1

And why did the Mail ignore the court case?

Do you think it was an argument over who worshipped the more powerful diety?
You can imagine Damien losing it when someone dared opine there was a higher god than Christopher......................

not4me

Was there a court case though?

Alnwickist

Another VISION.  Damien will also take a lead on the Council's Economic Development Strategy, with its vision to create 10,000 new jobs in Rotherham, as well as being the Council's voice in Sheffield City Region.

Worked for HBC for six years, can't remember him creating one.Does make you wonder if he is such a valuable asset (ha) why does he only average three years at each one. Cover up by HBC he has been caught out in the open.

The Great Dictator

So has he lost his new job or what or is someone on this site lying again ?

steveL

*Wide-Boy**

SLANG a shrewd and unscrupulous man, esp. one who engages in petty crime, shady dealings, etc. a man who is ​dishonest or who ​deceives ​people in the way he does ​business; a man who is prepared to use unscrupulous methods to progress or make money; a spiv