Caption Competition

Started by Ted Bass, September 07, 2014, 01: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mk1

Ted Bass

Ste looked at the magic painting and could see the true 'vision' of Hartlepool in the none too distant future
The loneliness of the long distance lorry driver

Lord Elpus

Quote from: mk1 on September 10, 2014, 05: PM

Glaikit; Scottish word meaning: stupid, foolish, not very bright, thoughtless, vacant
"awa' yi glaikit bastirt!"

If you describe someone as glaikit you can mean that you consider them to be permanently lacking in any sense and that they are, quite frankly, stupid. On the other hand, the smartest people can be rightly accused of being glaikit if they are having a bad brain day or if their brain is not yet in gear. Temporarily, they are not very bright and are guilty of doing something which you think is foolish or senseless.

Glaikit can be used of foolish or irresponsible actions as well as foolish or irresponsible people. So you might comment when someone has just had their car stolen that it was a glaikit thing to do to leave the keys in the ignition. Mostly, it is other people who are guilty of doing glaikit things.

Glaikit is also frequently used of facial expressions or physical appearance. If someone is standing still, with a blank look on their face, especially when they should be in proactive mode, someone may well say "Don't just stand there looking glaikit. Do something!" Someone dressed in full evening dress might feel that they look really glaikit getting on public transport in the middle of the afternoon, although such an action is necessary if they are to get to the appointed venue in time.

Truly a git glaikit looking sod if ever there was one.

PostItNote

It's actually a mirror image of Lord Elpus' profile picture!

for fawkes sake

Why is he looking at the frame and not the picture? I'm beginning to suspect he is mesmerised by Gold.
"Remember, remember the fifth of November.
Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot."

Hartlepudlion

WOW! Just look at my boobs! Aren't they great!

Land Phil

Don't mention the war, especially when on expenses.