Is a protest march of any use?

Started by perseus, June 09, 2013, 05: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

perseus

Obviously nobody wants to look stupid with 3 men and a dog turning up, but is there enough feeling in the town yet on the Manor Residents shambles to warrant support for a protest march?

The EDF gained a bit of publicity with their 'pub to pub' walk recently, and obviously we all remember Angie with the 'bedroom tax' "We aint paying nothing" cringe worthy protest outside the civic.

If people co-operated, I mean REALLY worked together, PHF, shane's 'conservative future' group, the local lib dems, UKIP, Brash's supporters in the Burn Valley area etc. Could several hundred people be willing to make the effort?

For example, a simple walk from the statue of the stag down at the marina, round and up past the marina, finishing at the civic. Press, TV, publicity...... worth a try or a total none starter?

brassed off monkey

It would take a bit of organising but lets face it :) :) :) :) It would at least attract local press & media attention & also make local people more aware of what this bunch of To**ers are up to.

Even solid labour voters are beginning to wonder where the Dear Leader & his chums are taking the town.

SRMoore

You have my 'feet in the ground'.

whatabouthisthen

Having been away for sometime, I am rather adrift on recent events. However, I am surprised at the lack of positive response to this suggestion. Is nobody prepared to do anything?
As to the walk, don't forget that there may oldies who cannot walk too far but still want to be involved - don't make it too long or have a joining point near the end of the march to swell the ranks at the end.

fred c

I did expect to see a good number of HTH users respond to this Post..... again it`s a case of "Put Up Or Shut Up" for the people of Hartlepool.

A March would be of use in attracting a wider view of what "The Mob" are doing to Hartlepool.

seaton

As very few people buy the Mail they will be unaware about MR. I do try and tell people but apathy in the town is unbeielvable with regards to local politics and unless it affects them directly they are not interested even though MR have s****** the people of Hartlepool.

grim reaper

I'm up for it, big style.  8)
Just ensure you check football fixtures,
'cliffhangers' in Corrie,
2 for 1 in The Causeway etc. then I think we could have a good turnout.  ;)

'Press' to be primed, of course.

But this isn't just MR, it is the whole edifice of this Labour run town and the HBC senior managers that have failed spectacularly to face up to bullying councillors and have not protected the tax payers of the town.  >:(

This really does need a massive expose, let's get behind it.

rabbit

I don`t wish to be negative about this, but do you remember the mass marches against the invasion of Iraq?

What did that achieve?

Sod all!

Stig of the Seaton Dump

rabbit, you remember the marches, they achieved more than you think.

Those in power may not listen but they are assured that what they do is not in our name.

Abusing power is cowardice, protesting without power is bravery.

Look at the A&E marches, every time our MP tries to comment about the hospital he is shamed by the fact he didn't march with us ..it might not have changed his actions but it has damaged his reputation forever and any legacy he may have hoped for.
I don't believe it.

grim reaper

It is obvious the local photo paper, sorry..The Mail...would not give a column inch to the 'march' story, but how about a PROPER newspaper.....The Northern Echo?

I am sure THEY would like to steal a jump on our rubbishy photo-spread junk mail and even do themselves a bit of good by the fact THEY are illustrating what is going on in Hartlepool, whilst our own rag does nothing!

May be worth giving the editor a ring.  :P

jaffa

Stig of the Seaton Dump

I must admit I don't know the structure of the Labour party but it sounds like a good idea for this group to send a letter with our concerns to the Labour party at the appropriate level.

I don't think there would be a problem with signatures, happy to give mine.
I don't believe it.

ARC86

I have made my feelings clear as a party member in a letter to our MP, but here i am 3 weeks later still awaiting a response. I'm not sure of the relevant structure in the Labour Party either, but if some good fellow on here could enlighten me i'd happily put pen to paper again!

Whilst I await a response I shall write to the National Headquarters in London and also the Shadow Communities Secretary Hilary Benn.

ARC86

Let's wait and see Stephen..  the letter had about ten different points in it and was 4 pages long, but even so surely it shouldnt take 3 weeks to respond. I'm quite happy to share the response.... if it ever comes!