Blood Transfusion Service

Started by jeffh, June 08, 2018, 08: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffh

A story currently being discussed on Facebook -

When the Blood Transfusion Service uses the Borough Hall it is charged £600 by HBC for the privilege.  Maybe when our Dear Leader finds out he will cancel the charge and to the adoration of his acolytes

BresslawoffoftheBunker

Truthache

It is probably true that NHSBTA pays to use venues for donor sessions.  Don't forget it is a business and although donors are not paid there is a charge to the NHS for every unit of blood supplied.  An extract from the annual accounts for 2016/17 highlights that fact:
"In addition, our response to the ongoing demand decline has continued to be well managed with further cost savings delivered and productivity. Although NHSBT has increased red cell prices to £124.46/unit in 2017/18 (including £2.11 for the cost of the universal screening of blood for HEV), due to anticipated further demand decline the cost of red cells to the NHS in 2017/18 is expected to fall by 2%."

Blood might be freely donated but the collection, management and processing has a substantial cost for which customers (NHS and Private Hospitals) pay for.

Paying £600 for the venue will be a small part of the overall costs of getting blood from donor to patient.

BresslawoffoftheBunker

Are you confirming £600 was paid ?

Truthache

Certainly not, I don't have any knowledge of that.  I just think it would not be surprising that NHSBT pay to hire venues for donor sessions.  They are planned sessions so regular donors can be contacted in advance.  Paying to secure a venue is the likeliest way of ensuring sessions go ahead.  Now whether the venue chooses to waive the fee is another matter.
I don't know how it works with HBC just pointing out blood isn't free to the NHS.

The Great Dictator

You might be surprised to know but even if another department in the civic wants to hire the hall they also have to pay the same fee.

Stig of the Seaton Dump

No wonder there is hardly every anything decent to go and see.
Cultural desert.
I don't believe it.

Inspector Knacker

If there is a charge, have no fear, the Dear Leader will walk across the water from Middleton and smite the charge with an imperious wave of his hand.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.