2017-2018 Council Accounts

Started by fred c, June 06, 2018, 01: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred c

https://www.hartlepool.gov.uk/news/article/1250/audit_of_accounts_year_ended_31st_march_2018

A couple of figures that may surprise people...

CEO salary.....................£146,609
Pension Contributions..£22,276
Total...............................£168,885

Borough Solicitor salary.....................£93,663
Pension Contributions........................£88359
Compensation for Loss of office.......£63,451
Total.....................................................£245,473

jeffh

Quote from: fred c on June 06, 2018, 01: PM
https://www.hartlepool.gov.uk/news/article/1250/audit_of_accounts_year_ended_31st_march_2018

A couple of figures that may surprise people...

CEO salary.....................£146,609
Pension Contributions..£22,276
Total...............................£168,885

Borough Solicitor salary.....................£93,663
Pension Contributions........................£88359
Compensation for Loss of office.......£63,451
Total.....................................................£245,473
That would suggest he was pushed - do the tentacles of the special one reach that far?

Inspector Knacker

Well it can't be redundancy unless they're doing away with the post, which ain't gonna happen, although in their world anything is possible I suppose.
I've always assumed in my working life you either leave to go to a better job, get made redundant or dismissed from your post.
Compensation?
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Stig of the Seaton Dump

I always thought of him being too compliant to get rid of.
I don't believe it.

jawsbbc

Quote from: Stig of the Seaton Dump on June 06, 2018, 06: PM
better he left with a gagging order as most of  them do

Johnny Bongo

Quote from: jawsbbc on June 06, 2018, 08: PM
Quote from: Stig of the Seaton Dump on June 06, 2018, 06: PM
better he left with a gagging order as most of  them do

I believe the phrase here is ''hush money''.  I'm sure he knows lots of dirty little secrets regarding the Scabal...and many big ones also, but he won't be singing like a canary any time soon! He'll be too busy enjoying himself spending that wedge of cash!

Inspector Knacker

'Compensation for loss of office' is what exactly? It sounds like a simple throw away footnote n the  balance sheet, but the more I see it the more I need to know what it means.
I've been a shop steward and been a manager, but never in all my time came across this phrase anymore.
Will we ever know.

fred c

A number of officers have left HBC over the last few of years and tbh, having to deal with some of the usual suspects is it any wonder, I suspect most of them take the view of 'thank **** i'm out of there'.....

jeffh

Doesn't the pension figure of £88,359 seem excessive?  I would have thought previous years pensions would have already been through the books and already declared.

crisstw

Loss of office would usually mean redundancy. I bet the pension contributions are for the same reason but they seem very excessive. Perhaps to buy his silence?

With it being described as loss of office, does that mean we require no solicitor nowadays?

Stig of the Seaton Dump

Quote from: crisstw on June 07, 2018, 01: PM
Loss of office would usually mean redundancy. I bet the pension contributions are for the same reason but they seem very excessive. Perhaps to buy his silence?

With it being described as loss of office, does that mean we require no solicitor nowadays?

Redundancy is loss of a position not an individual.
Loss of an individual is usually dismissal.
I don't believe it.

Truthache

The £88000 would equate to almost 4 years of Employer's pension contributions.  This may be payable in the case of redundancy when the employee reaches a certain age (close to earliest retirement date).  The loss of employment late in a career would impact on the final salary pension and these payments will be to protect that pension entitlement.  Employer's contributions continue even though the employee has gone.
It is hard to imagine the post of Borough Solicitor being redundant.  I assume his work still needs to be done, so what is the reason behind his departure.

brassed off monkey

It obviously wasn't a redundancy a Borough Solicitors position is one of the must haves, for there to have been a compensation payment suggests it was a parting the ways, whether amicable or otherwise

There were whispers flying around for a while of a serious difference of opinion and the next salute the borough solicitors had moved on.

Inspector Knacker

You never know, they might share a solicitor with another authority.

Heknocks68

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on June 07, 2018, 10: PM
You never know, they might share a solicitor with another authority.
Ohh tut tut, why do you prolong this nonsense, do you refer to the Tees Valley Combined Authority Solicitor, all in good ( not so sure) time, breath deep exhale with clarity, err,hemm.