No 36 Bus.

Started by mk1, June 04, 2018, 05: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mk1

Anyone know if the 36 Bus profits all go to Teesside or is it shared with Hartlepool? Given that the tortuous route it takes through Hartlepool  (compared to the old United 227) has obviously been designed to scoop up as many passengers moving about the town the loss of revenue would be substantial if it is not shared.
Also the resultant decrease of passengers on Hartlepool busses would be a handy excuse for the bean-counters to reduce local services.

Inspector Knacker

Not forgetting the biggest loser must be the revenue from the No6 service which it runs alongside all the way into town and out again.
The 36 is basically a very long drawn out and impractical way to get to Middlesbrough very slowly.
I suspect they'd be happy to just have the 36 and nothing else.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Gustaf I of England + BWH

No. 1 would be a better bet if you want to go to Middlesbrough although, granted it only goes every half hour. No. 36 comes into its own when you want one of the intermediate stops like Greatham, Billingham, Stockton or Thornaby.
Don't know how the revenue from the service is split. Perhaps it's based on how much of the journey is inside each district - in which case most of it goes outside Hrtlpool. But I'm only guessing.

Inspector Knacker

It draws revenue from local services. It would make more sense if it went directly to the town centre.

Tee_Ess_25er

Quote from: mk1 on June 04, 2018, 05: PM
Anyone know if the 36 Bus profits all go to Teesside or is it shared with Hartlepool? Given that the tortuous route it takes through Hartlepool  (compared to the old United 227)

As far as I remember in the numerous years I have travelled that service (36 and 227 before that) the entire route is virtually identical.  The only change in Hartlepool (from old) now is the turn it takes down park road to loop round the town centre for the return journey where before the 227 would have gone to the old bus station.

mk1

Quote from: Tee_Ess_25er on June 04, 2018, 10: PM
Quote from: mk1 on June 04, 2018, 05: PM
Anyone know if the 36 Bus profits all go to Teesside or is it shared with Hartlepool? Given that the tortuous route it takes through Hartlepool  (compared to the old United 227)

As far as I remember in the numerous years I have travelled that service (36 and 227 before that) the entire route is virtually identical.  The only change in Hartlepool (from old) now is the turn it takes down park road to loop round the town centre for the return journey where before the 227 would have gone to the old bus station.

In the 1960s  the '227' ran along Stockton Street through Stranton/Vicarage Gardens to the Burn Valley Roundabout. Along Stockton Road  passing St Cuthberts, Greensides, The Travellers and The lodge then on to Greatham. There was no detour up Oxford Road and down Owton Manor Lane

jawsbbc

i do know they are all stockton drivers miserable ones at that and more interested in keeping to their  timesheet than been helpful to passengers 

Inspector Knacker

The detour up to Catcote road must effect the viability of local routes. Funny how before bus privatisation we had a choice of companies to get to Middlesbrough and now Stagecoach have the monopoly.

jeffh

I would have thought all the profits from buses operated by Stagecoach will go to Stagecoach.  I believe the operator, in the Tees Valley, no longer receives a subsidy from the council(s) and as far as I am aware, no franchise system is in operation.

no6bus

Since earlier this year Hartlepool depot has become a satellite depot under the control of Stockton depot so ultimately all monies taken end up in the same pot.

mickys19

I saw a 36 branded bus running the no 7 at Middlegate last week?, thought it was unusual, is this the norm or just a one off ?

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: mickys19 on June 05, 2018, 10: AM
I saw a 36 branded bus running the no 7 at Middlegate last week?, thought it was unusual, is this the norm or just a one off ?
As the depot is devoid of vehicles during the day, I suspect they run to very tight margins and had to borrow one from Stockton .
I wonder why the vehicles at Stockton are larger than the almost identical vehicles in Hartlepool?

mk1

Quote from: no6bus on June 05, 2018, 07: AM
Since earlier this year Hartlepool depot has become a satellite depot under the control of Stockton depot so ultimately all monies taken end up in the same pot.

What I was asking was if they do a survey of passenger numbers using Stagecoach Hartlepool do they add in those people who use Teesside Stagecoach busses.
Also if the revenue of Hartlepool people who use the 36 is used when the  income of Hartlepool Stagecoach is calculated.
Not counting those two sets of numbers would  lower both the  revenue and passenger numbers for Hartlepool busses and thus  factor in to a 'use it or lose it' decision.
They must be different busses because they use different ticketing offers.

no6bus

In a nutshell Hartlepool's takings are from the Hartlepool fleet and Stockton's from their fleet, they are then added together for overall takings from teeside

jeffh

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on June 05, 2018, 11: AM
Quote from: mickys19 on June 05, 2018, 10: AM
As the depot is devoid of vehicles during the day, I suspect they run to very tight margins and had to borrow one from Stockton .
I wonder why the vehicles at Stockton are larger than the almost identical vehicles in Hartlepool?
At the risk of being accused of being an anorak! - the Stockton buses are Enviro 300's which have a longer chassis and hence more seats, whilst the Hartlepool fleet is mainly Enviro 200's with the shorter chassis.  It was the same prior to the introduction of the Enviro's - Hartlepool had the shorter Dennis Darts whilst Stockton had MAN chassis buses - again with the higher seating capacities.  I guess the reason is the passenger density of the different routes served.