The All Seeing Eye

Started by jeffh, May 31, 2018, 02: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffh

Does anybody know what's happening with the piece of art next to the restaurants as Seaton Reach?

A number of times recently, somebody has removed the tarpaulin covering only for the council to replace it within 24 hours - post May 3rd that's a quick response.

The rapid action could suggest that the council does not have permission for it to be there - it's in line with the Cardinal Buoy protecting shipping from Longscar Rocks and out at sea it could be mistaken for the buoy causing ships to run aground.  I'm quite sure that this was looked at during the planning discussions and with our resident maritime expert being a member of said committee a formal Risk Assessment would have been carried out.  Maybe I 'm underestimating our Planning Committee and they are simply satisfying the vanity of which ever councillor is going to unveil it.

mk1

Quote from: jeffh on May 31, 2018, 02: PM
it's in line with the Cardinal Buoy protecting shipping from Longscar Rocks and out at sea it could be mistaken for the buoy causing ships to run aground.............

A simple fix would be a 'screen' on the seaward side. If that happens then we will know why.

Stig of the Seaton Dump

They  could always replace the bit of tat with some real art like Tommy at Seaham or The Angel of the North.

It make the Watcher look like the Venus de Milo.
I don't believe it.

WhatTheHeck

Apparently it has been damaged and is awaiting repair.

Also the sculpture is to be illuminated but there is a delay in having the lighting installed.
No relation to Whattheheck from the mail !

Gustaf I of England + BWH

That doesn't bode well for the future then. Not yet fully installed and already been damaged.
Oh Dear!

Inspector Knacker

A red or green light near a shipping channel is never a good idea.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Inspector Knacker

Just how a gaudy neon circle can be classed as art with a maritime theme is beyond my comprehension. I've seen some really great public art pieces around the country and this is not even worth looking at. Why not just bring the Watcher down and put it in it's place then sell the neon 'Seaton lolly' to a rock shop

isolde

someone said on the seaton news on fb when it was first shown that it would not actually be publically unveiled untill the ground is done surrounding it. so it was not finished and was the vandelised. so its covered till its ready. I cant remember who he was bveut he said there would be a big unveiling when all the ground is prepared,  maybe they ran out of money?   When they do it will soon get vandelised.  Maybe thats the plan? Catch the little devils by planting an unresistable large artwork, put cctv on it and just wait for them to come and set fire to it?   ;D

Inspector Knacker

The possibility of a big target shaped glass object full of neon emitting gaudy colour's not being a target for vandals should come as a suprise to no one. It's the equivalent of walking  through a safari park dressed only in steaks and wondering why the lions are winking at you. In both cases the outcome will be regrettable.
Personally I'd leave the blue bag and tape in situ as it has more artistic merit.

WhatTheHeck

The delay in unveiling the giant air freshener has been compounded by the fact that HBC have employed 3 bodies to install it, these being the artist, the company that installed the plynth and a third company to install the lighting.

Why they didn't get a company to install the plynth and lighting together is beyond me.

I would also presume that as the 'artist' has already been paid, he won't give a toss about the damage and will be in no rush to repair it, even if he has been asked.
No relation to Whattheheck from the mail !