nrw councillors

Started by kevplumb, May 29, 2018, 05: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevplumb

https://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/politics/poll-does-hartlepool-need-three-extra-councillors-1-9184125

if we get them at least one will be named belcher
another snout in the trough

think we would be better off getting rid of three  ::)
A councillor is an elected representative of their ward, not their political party!
Councils need communities but communities don't need councils
Party politics have no place in local goverment

Gustaf I of England + BWH

I don't know about 3 extra, more like we already have at least 22 too many.

And how exactly are they going to ensure that each councillor represents the same number of voters/constituents ? Ward boundaries down the middle of the street ?

Some people obviously have too much time on their hands. Always makes me suspicious when government bodies/officers suddenly want to change things.

jeffh

They'll probably split the Manor Ward to Own Manor & Rift House creating 3 Labour seats

Lord Elpus

Personally I rather see smaller wards represented by two Councillors. In my opinion ward boundary changes have been used by the Leading Labour group to gerrymander ward boundaries for their political advantage. Large wards try and homogenize communities and fail to reflect the specific make up of the smaller communities.

In my opinion Rural West should be changed, have one ward that reflects the outlying villages, Greatham, Newton Bewley, Dalton Piercy, Elwick and Hart. The area around west park is clearly a ward in its own right.

In the current Headland and Harbour ward, there are three clear communities wrapped up in one ward, Burbank, The Marina and the Headland.  The best solution for residents would be three separate wards that reflect the socio-economic make up of the specific areas.

Same applies to Seaton Carew, make the boundary at Brenda Rd then the Jutland Rd estate could be incorporated into Rossmere ward, leaving the Fens as a ward in its own right.

I could go on and on, the bottom line is most Labour politicians will see this as an opportunity to break up areas of resistance like they tried during the last review by putting Rossmere in with the Fens, Jutland Rd in with Seaton Carew and introducing Burbank into Headland and Harbour.  It had nothing to do with what was best for the residents it was all about what was best for them.

One of the few good things about a boundary review is it will mean an all out election across the town, which has always been to Labours disadvantage.

Lord Elpus

I think it is so important that whatever our opinions on this issue we make sure we enter into the process and let the Boundary review team know how we think.  It will make a difference.

Lucy Lass-Tick

Inspector Knacker

Not so much three extra councillors as three extra dependants.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.