what it takes to be a labour councillor

Started by jawsbbc, March 19, 2018, 01: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jawsbbc

To join the Labour party and attempt to make changes from within is difficult because the ruling cabal  will see this coming and have ring fenced all controlling functions under their own remit. They only hand out control to those who've proved loyalty, meaning anyone trying to slip their way in will have to act dishonestly on a long term basis and trash their own reputation by supporting the cabal to gain trust. Nobody honest would do that and survive intact.they've backstopped it by ensuring their governance is monitored by Tories, who will of course not rock any boat while they are allowed a nice big, disproportionate level of influence over planning and licencing.                  One line of approach for opponents could be to oust the Tories from council first. That would force the hands of the Labour leadership in terms of seats of governance, planning and licencing.

Lucy Lass-Tick

Quote from: jawsbbc on March 19, 2018, 01: PM
To join the Labour party and attempt to make changes from within is difficult because the ruling cabal  will see this coming and have ring fenced all controlling functions under their own remit. They only hand out control to those who've proved loyalty, meaning anyone trying to slip their way in will have to act dishonestly on a long term basis and trash their own reputation by supporting the cabal to gain trust. Nobody honest would do that and survive intact.they've backstopped it by ensuring their governance is monitored by Tories, who will of course not rock any boat while they are allowed a nice big, disproportionate level of influence over planning and licencing.                  One line of approach for opponents could be to oust the Tories from council first. That would force the hands of the Labour leadership in terms of seats of governance, planning and licencing.

With all three being in one ward (Rural West) this would, of course, have to be done in stages as each came up for re-election. Brenda Loynes is in the hot seat this year.

The Great Dictator

mk1

Quote from: The Great Dictator on March 19, 2018, 03: PM

Their majority is far too big.

It is NIMBY writ large. The voters in that ward know they get preferential treatment because their Councillors are crucial to Labour. So as long as 'they' are OK the rest of us can go get fooked!

Stig of the Seaton Dump

I think it is a lot of old money that traditionally votes Tory because their dad did and grandad did too.

I wonder how many have been helped by the planning services of the council too ?
I don't believe it.

Stig of the Seaton Dump

Just look at the picture, is this really the group of people causing so much trouble for Hartlepool ?
I don't believe it.

Johnny Bongo

With the numerous housing developments in the West Park area, many of the residents who are traditional Tory voters might be angry due to the disturbance from the construction / the increase in traffic in what was a very quiet area and blame their local councillors, who seem to have done nothing to stop it!  They may vent their frustration by voting for an indie (if one stands) in May's elections.  Here's hoping! 

Lucy Lass-Tick

I've heard that an independent is standing in Rural West!

Stig of the Seaton Dump

I would offer to help leaflet but the driveways are too long :-D
I don't believe it.

fred c

Quote from: Stig of the Seaton Dump on March 19, 2018, 07: PM

Talking about "Leaflet Dropping"...... what's the feeling amongst members of The Post to helping out Independent candidates in their campaigns ?

stokoe

Tanfield rd and the new estate I could do fred

Heknocks68

Quote from: fred c on March 19, 2018, 08: PM

Talking about "Leaflet Dropping"...... what's the feeling amongst members of The Post to helping out Independent candidates in their campaigns ?
Like the sound of the idea, however on the local hand out in a "no cold calling area" the heading "contacting your councillors" suggests there are two councillors only, they being Clarke and Lindridge? 31% and 4.9% respectivley it may be considered. I wont take my ct increase, in the interest of fairness, standing by the work force.

fred c

Stokoe..... I'm meeting a mate tomorrow to chat about how we can go about helping out with the election.

If we can agree how best we can help I will start a New Topic and hopefully sort a list of volunteers.

Thanks for the offer of help......we have a couple of weeks to sort out a plan of attack.

jeffh

Quote from: fred c on March 19, 2018, 08: PM

Count me in

jawsbbc

me also fred pm when you have something sorted