Mail Comments

Started by fred c, August 23, 2017, 01: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred c

Have the Mail knocked the comments section on the head or is it website glitch ?

Lucy Lass-Tick

The Sunderland Echo has comments but the Shields Gazette is the same as the Mail, with none. Surely they're all on the same platform? Strange ...

Inspector Knacker

Isn't a comments section usually supposed to be about something of local concern. That would require a local knowledge. Game over.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Lucy Lass-Tick

Apparently they're changing the comments system and have hit a problem.

Disgruntled voter

Comments will be written by the clowncil on behalf of all Hartlepool residents....

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: Lucy Lass-Tick on August 24, 2017, 10: AM
Apparently they're changing the comments system and have hit a problem.
They penny dropped and they realised they know nothing about the town.

mk1

I think they have decided that the comments they get are 'the wrong type of comment' and I suspect they prefer you to use Facebook.

See here:

https://www.facebook.com/hartlepoolmailnews/posts/1649326018420575

Where the reaction is much more favorable to the Labour view than anything you would ever see on the Mail main page.
There are a number of  Labour Momentum 'right or wrong'  supporters commenting in that thread.

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: mk1 on August 27, 2017, 11: PM

Where the reaction is much more favorable to the Labour view than anything you would ever see on the Mail main page.
There are a number of  Labour Momentum 'right or wrong'  supporters commenting in that thread.
I've noticed this, where on a topic,  certain key words or phrases are used by a group of 'contributors' .

steveL

it's starting to look like the Mail Comments have been permanently pulled. Is this the price for retaining the Public Notice advertising in the face of the lobbying of Hartlepool Life?
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

fred c

It does look as though Ms Yates has buckled under the pressure, having said that the On-line Mail is now a complete joke, local news is as rare as rocking horse droppings..... every outlet i have been in the gives away the Freebie paper always has heaps of them left.....

mk1

I think they want to shift all the 'clicks' to their Facebook site as that is their main way of convincing advertisers they have the readership to justify their add rates. You know things are serious when they recently  stop reporting the circulation figures.
The Mail Facebook page is dire. Mainly generic national 'news'  and very little local content. I note one very opinionated multi-ID poster from the Mail page has migrated there and wonder how long he will last!
If you want an idea of how 'low' the Facebook page is then consider that by far the most popular story today is the threat to Loons with no less than 100+ comments  in 9 hours. Stick to beer and fags Joy and you are on a winner!
The Facebook page is also  promoting the Mail Photography Service under the guise of 'Local Events'. The photographer turns up at any gathering and takes loads of pics which they then market to those daft enough to fall for it.
The attempt to get proud parents  to send in photos and details of their kids staring school seems to have flopped though. The hysteria over 'Paedos'  has brought out the helicopter moms in droves!

steveL

I forget who it was who phoned The Mail to ask about the reason for the missing comments section but as I recall, they were told it was a temporary technical issue. I think enough time has passed to rectify any such issue and so it's safe to assume that the comments have been pulled.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Truthache

Mail Twitter account replied to the question about comments and confirmed it no longer exists on the website.  Comments via Facebook and Twitter only.

marky

bit of a shame but it always was atypical for the Snail

mk1

Fred note the reply to one of your comments on The Mail Facebook page. You got a reply from a 'Preston Fields' . :

If you check out Preston Fields it appears he comes from London.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=450408465350585&set=pb.100011443067583.-2207520000.1505428678.&type=3&theater

He has 2 'Happy Birthday' message on on his  2 Profile photos.

One  from a Sanu Miah who lives in London.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010518003204&lst=100006573101921%3A100010518003204%3A1505428742&sk=about

Note that Sanu says he works 'at the Labour Party'

And one Birthday message from a Gillian Margetson

https://www.facebook.com/gillian.margetson?hc_ref=ARTWrqG2gSApT1YLfNiuh_RBlyW3zSLkElwWRZG60RzyFNi6kSFfhw2Gr5A9lXZRoLQ&fref=nf

Look through her profile to see  Gillian is a die-hard Corbyn Labourite from somewhere near Swansea

Clearly the local Momentum bong-eyed Loonies are asking for  support from all over in the hope of 'stifling all debate'.

If you go through the Labour-supporting posts on the Mail pages and check out their friends you will see how widespread this practise is. They can't get enough locals to do their dirty work and have to import lackeys.