Corbyn and the IRA

Started by steveL, May 21, 2017, 04: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveL

https://youtu.be/MEBI8KlNeAQ

He could have said, "Yes I condemn the IRA bombing and the killing of innocent people but I also condemn the actions of the British Army on Bloody Sunday". That would have been fair enough, but he just couldn't bring himself to say it and instead talks about the 'equivalence' between the British Army and the IRA meaning that they're both peas in the same pod.

. . . and this is the man who as Prime Minister would effectively be the Commander in Chief for British Armed Forces.

I don't think so, thank you.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

mk1

Quote from: steveL on May 21, 2017, 04: PM
https://youtu.be/MEBI8KlNeAQ

He could have said, "Yes I condemn the IRA bombing and the killing of innocent people but I also condemn the actions of the British Army on Bloody Sunday". That would have been fair enough, but he just couldn't bring himself to say it and instead talks about the 'equivalence' between the British Army and the IRA meaning that they're both peas in the same pod.

. . . and this is the man who as Prime Minister would effectively be the Commander in Chief for British Armed Forces.

Fact:
Several British soldiers have been found guilty of murder in Northern Ireland. Found guilty by the special non-jury courts set up to specifically jail IRA men.

Question:
Which is the only western Army that allows convicted murderers back into the Army when they are released?

Inspector Knacker

He's an idealist, but combines it with a rigid inflexibility, his Achilles heel.
Any politician has to bend with the wind of change, but he appears to have a streak of rigid ideals that prevent compromise. Realpolitik may be an anathema to him.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

steveL

You miss the point entirely.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Steely Dan

But it's OK for the Tory party to gave a former terrorist in their ranks.

mk1

Quote from: steveL on May 21, 2017, 07: PM

Being a lot better informed on the history of the 'Dirty War' than most  I would say I see the point a  lot  more clearly than others. Read up  on what happened to Colin Wallace when he dared speak out. The establishment actually tried to frame him for a murder.
I recognise the only way forward is to ignore the past and get over the desire to blame every evil on the other side. Accept the fact both sides committed criminal acts and move on. You can keep shouting 'you started it' at the opposition or you can build a new future.
The depth of hatred felt for the British over The  Bloody Sunday cover-up should not be underestimated.  If you believe 'The British' are the only ones with cause to be seething at the injustice of it all then you are blinkered

Steely Dan

Quote from: mk1 on May 21, 2017, 07: PM
Quote from: steveL on May 21, 2017, 07: PM

Being a lot better informed on the history of the 'Dirty War' than most  I would say I see the point a  lot  more clearly than others. Read up  on what happened to Colin Wallace when he dared speak out. The establishment actually tried to frame him for a murder.
I recognise the only way forward is to ignore the past and get over the desire to blame every evil on the other side. Accept the fact both sides committed criminal acts and move on. You can keep shouting 'you started it' at the opposition or you can build a new future.
The depth of hatred felt for the British over The  Bloody Sunday cover-up should not be underestimated.  If you believe 'The British' are the only ones with cause to be seething at the injustice of it all then you are blinkered

Spot on Mk1.

Corbyn has repeatedly condemned all killing, all terrorism. He always has. Those who claim otherwise are just blindly following the anti-Corbyn narrative of the right-wing media.

Inspector Knacker

What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Riqueti

Northern Ireland hahaha please educate yourself and stop believing the Tory rhetoric that it was a one sided war with Just the IRA as the baddies. It was a civil war with many factions, and some of the worst atrocities have been committed by Unionists

Peace process ... many people negotiated with terrorists

You should be more concerned about the legacy that Blair and Mandy left and how that is all about to unravel

Steely Dan

Thatcher had secret meetings with the IRA. But nobody brings this up.

The Great Dictator

Thatcher, Blair and Major were Prime Ministers, Corbyn is a traitor to these shores.