Audit and Governance

Started by steveL, March 16, 2017, 12: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred c

Quote from: steveL on March 17, 2017, 11: AM
I'm not ready to let this one go. The purpose of Wells' report was to draw a line under the whole sorry episode and close it off - that ain't going to happen.

In truth, nothing has been changed to prevent the whole thing happening again next week and, as we watch the unemployable SAB currently building up his new community venture in Masefield Road, that's something of which we should all be aware.

I find it difficult to grasp, that a councillor who abdicated his Trustees responsibilities with MRA at the drop of a hat, is now looking to involve himself with what could turn out to be a very similar organisation, it's a very worrying situation for the council tax payers, who funded what ended up as a criminal voluntary organisation led by a Labour Councillor.......

As a council tax payer, I firmly believe no public money should be awarded to any organisation that has councillors or members of their families involved either as Directors, Trustees or Employees under any circumstances.

jeffh

Quote from: steveL on March 17, 2017, 12: PM
There's a loophole - a deliberate loophole - which allows them to do this. While the constitution calls for proportionality in the make-up of the committees, this is interpreted by Labour as proportionality across ALL committees. So by having fewer seats on other committees, Wells can get away with having more seats on the Planning Committee so long as the overall balance across ALL committees is proportional.

It's all done with the agreement of Labour who in return get a friendly face chairing the Audit and Governance, which must be chaired by someone who is not from the ruling group and which has the job of scrutinising the decisions made by Labour.

In the infamous transcript of Wells telephone conversation with Jason Anderson, Wells admits that he works with Labour on their decisions before they ever get to full council. As a result, the chances of him criticising any of those decisions as Chair of Audit and Governance are zero.

What we need is a Monitoring Officer who makes sure that this kind of deal doesn't happen. Unfortunately, we have Peter Devlin working for a Chief Executive who believes the role of all councillors is to not make waves by throwing pebbles and disturbing the stillness of the pond.

Yes that's what I thought may be the case, so I did a bit more digging.

The Local Conservatives are oversubscribed to committees by 6 seats and Labour 7
                             Labour   Conservative   UKIP   PHF   Ind
Adult Services               5                2                   1           0    0
Appointments Panel       6                1            1            0   0
Audit & Governance    5               1                  1           0   0
Children's Services      5               0                 1          0   1
Civic Honours              3              1                 1          0   0
Finance & Policy      7              1                 2         0   0
Licensing                      7              2                2               0       1
Neighbourhood Services   5      1               1                0     0
Planning                      7             3               0                1     0
Regeneration Services 5            2               0                0      1
Total Committee Seats 55    14            10               1          3
Number of Councillors 19             3             6              2         3
Proportional No of seats 48     8            15               5         8
Difference               -7           -6             5              4         5

Sorry the table is a bit scrappy - couldn't copy & paste as I wanted

fred c

6 Labour councillors on the appointments panel, 1 of whom is the chairman........... how does that work when a new CEO is required I wonder ?

jeffh

Quote from: fred c on March 17, 2017, 05: PM
6 Labour councillors on the appointments panel, 1 of whom is the chairman........... how does that work when a new CEO is required I wonder ?
Probably how it worked last time  :(

marky

Last time Stubbs named his own successor . . . now why would he do that?

Johnny Bongo

Quote from: marky on March 17, 2017, 07: PM
Last time Stubbs named his own successor . . . now why would he do that?

Maybe because they all have a Common Purpose! 

Lord Elpus

He also name Densie Ogden as the person who should have CEO job after Alexander.  I heard it with my own ears, the wordsw came out of Stubbs mouth.

It will be interesting to see how long his legacy survives

lynda

Not realising what their signing up to and what their responsibilities are sounds about right with this lot. Had they taken on their role of Trustee seriously maybe members of staff of MRA could have gone to them with their concerns. Because they took that role lightly peoples pensions have been affected because of NI Contributions taken from wages not being paid and tax. For some staff at least six years worth.Had the boot been on the other foot im sure they would be enraged too. So i suggest in future they read what their signing up to and what their responsibilities are especially when it affects others. Does this mean then that they dont know what their responsibilities of being a Councillor are also?

fred c

Taking up a Directorship / Trusteeship, should be because you are keen to become involved in the running of an organisation, you can, along with fellow directors / trustees / management monitor and control the direction and finances of that organisation............not to do so, leaves you wide open to criticism and possible legal action.

Unfortunately we see with a number of councillors that have all sorts of connections with multiple organisations, that use those positions as an ego booster as well as a possible source of income............ if you are a councillor on half a different boards or committees, especially if you are of a limited IQ, can you fully understand the roles required on all of those boards / committees.?