Music festival

Started by grim reaper, July 13, 2015, 01: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grim reaper

No, not the one proposed by the fat boys, the one over the weekend at Bents Exhibition Park, South Shields.
Tens of thousands of people watching the groups, using the cafe's, pubs and fish n chip shops.
Car parks full up (at £1 for the full day) and people promenading in the sun. Admission to the show?
Nothing. Zilch, Nada, Rien, Niente, Niets, Nowt!

Our numpties want to charge £6 for a handful of virtually unknown acts, in a shed that is full of pigeon guano!  :o
I reckon it will see 300 attendees tops, which will, when transposed into council speak, add up to 16,000 attendees, a financial success and it has brought in visitors from 100 miles around.  8)
Next years event is already on the cards, due to this years success.
Horribly cynical, but that is how the council in this town has brought everyone to. We don't believe a damn thing they say. Yet we had the chance to move them out but the 'die-hards' continue to vote them in, despite on-going court cases etc.
Unbelievable.

pensionater

Typical.we have a local group (not the "fat boys")the Jar Family ,trying to lift the profile of the town and at the same time put life into a ,previously forgotten building,and we still have the whingers and detractors.Some people get all they deserve.

fred c

I hardly think a rundown Tin Shed that has cost the council tax payers of Hartlepool somewhere in the region of £2 million pounds is a " Forgotten Building"

I haven't got a problem with anyone who is trying to promote Hartlepool, in fact i wish them all the best in their endevours.

What i do object to is council tax payers money being used to facilitate private enterprises, especially when it is also being used as a propganda exercise by a bunch of self serving egotists who are more interested in their personal agenda's than they are in the interests of the town.

Hartlepudlion

Couldn't agree more Fred.

Hairy

sydsboy

Was   the South Shields concert  put on by the local council? If so I would say congratulations to them they seem  to have some foresight in how to put successful things on.
The difference in that case is the one down here is not organised by  the council hence the small ticket price.
Who was  on the bill.

marky

I'm not sure what the concert in South Shields was....there seems to have been some sort of multi-day event but I'm not sure this is the one people are talking about.

http://www.southtyneside.gov.uk/article/25468/billy-ocean-and-dodgy-to-play-south-tyneside-festival

grim reaper

Pensionater, why don't you READ the post, instead of jumping straight to your keyboard.
My point was that South Tyneside Council managed to put on FREE shows on council land, to the benefit of residents and the various businesses in the area. Our lot intend to put on a show that will appeal to very few people, charge £6 and no other businesses will profit.
Think of the 'Tall Ships' and that vast loss of money; the fallacious 'repeat' visitors we would get, year on year.  ::)
A total shambles and yet here we go again, dip into the tax payers pockets and put on a minority show.
Remind me, how much did 'Dock Rock' lose?  8)  :o

These guys running our council are not the entrepreneurs they think they are....Jeez, they can't even hold down a job, never mind organise a festival event!  :(

Do I hope it's a flop? Of course not, let's hope enough people turn up to make it at least break even.
But the omens are there, it's called 'past history'. 

fred c

Can we expect anything different when we have a jumped up former benefit clerk (allegedly )  a bloke sacked for gross industrial misconduct,  a failed businessman & an assortment of others that haven't had proper jobs for years involved in this vision. ?

pensionater

I did read your post ,and you insist that the Council are putting this concert on.I'm saying that The Jar family, a local group,are putting it on.Obviously you are more informed than other people so perhaps you can tell us how much it will cost the residents of the town.I find it ironic that you have a go at MK1 and others for not listening to other people's point of view ,then you (and the gang)do exactly the same when someone points out an untrue fact in your post.Hypocrite.

Land Phil

The concert will pass 90% of the town by without them noticing it.
9% will know about it.
0.5% will be washing their hair.
0.5% will know the bands or be related and turn up.

...the concert has already cost us £1.5 million plus interest for the building. Do we need to worry about other minor losses.

fred c

I would like to point out..... I am not in a gang.

I would also like to point out that if, The Big Tin Shed is used in any capacity HBC will be responsible, under HSE guidelines safe electrical systems, safe fire protection systems, evacuation procedure etc etc will be required, all will come under the remit of HBC......... ergo, at a cost to council tax payers.

There are other basic facilities that will be required for the event, consider there are no permanent toilet facilities available on the Marina, portaloo`s are the obvious solution to that problem, but the question needs to be asked.... who will be responsible for that cost.

Not to labour the point, but we only need to look back at the Tall Stories... a "Great 4 Day Weekend" but at a massively subsidised cost, approx £2.4 Million pounds to HBC & Council tax payers.

I sincerely hope the event is a success, but if the event is being organised by a management organisation / company, it is that organisation / company that should be responsible for the financing of the event..... not the council tax payers.

seaton

As Fred C has stated who is paying for alt the Health and Safety checks, Cert from the Fire Brigade, Safety Stewards, temporary power supplies, lighting, an insurance policy will need to be in place, the list is endless and is the £6 amission money going to cover this. Fair play to the Jar Family but people are not going to be queuing up to buy tickets for a band probably the majority of people in Hartlepool have never heard off.

sydsboy

The council own the building so isn't it fair they have to pay to get it up to a right and proper state.I know it's not fair on us council tax payers but that's the way it's got too be.Hopefully the dumb s###s on the council will find a way for the building to be used on a very regular basis after the concert.

Inspector Knacker

Why the tin shed as the venue..? Surely there are other venues thst don't come with the baggage associated with this location in cost terms to make it usable.
Or is it an exercise in making the building appear saleable or useful in the eyes of the public...? Grotty tin shed unused and unloved = criticism...?  Grotty tin shed transformed into apparentlly vibrant venue = success...?
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.