in it for the cash, isnt that right Councillor?

Started by Tommy, September 12, 2014, 11: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Great Dictator

Maybe a motion at full council would embarrass them sufficiently ?

one direction

Quote from: DRiddle on September 13, 2014, 09: AM
I think people need to make a clear distinction between 'councillors in Hartlepool' and 'SOME councillors in Hartlepool . . . . . I don't disagree that the very word 'Councillor' leaves a bad taste in the mouth within Hartlepool. It's just a shame all councillors are tarred with the same brush.

How many councillors in Hartlepool take cash from the public purse? Answer, every single one of them! So they are all quite rightly tarred with tbe same brush!  When Oscar Wilde reportedly asked a society lady at a dinner party if she would sleep with him for £1,000,000, her answer was "yes" she would. Asked if she would sleep with him for half a crown she was scandalised and said "no, of  course not. What kind of woman do you think I am?" Wilde countered with "I have established what kind of woman you are. Its just your price that is in question"

So in my opinion a councillor taking £70 a week is no diferent to a councillor taking £1,000 a week. It's just their price that is different. You either are taking money or you are not. Once you take anything you are the same as the rest. You can't be a little bit pregnant or commit a little bit of murder (unless you are a south african para olympian)  When PHF announce their councillors are taking no allowances at all then I'll start to believe they are different, until then the only differnce I see is they don't stick their snouts as far into the trough as some of the others. Of course that could just be because they don't get the chance?

mk1

Quote from: The Great Dictator on September 13, 2014, 07: PM
Maybe a motion at full council would embarrass them sufficiently ?

Would they notice an extra turd?

craig finton

Quote from: one direction on September 13, 2014, 10: PM
I think people need to make a clear distinction between 'councillors in Hartlepool' and 'SOME councillors in Hartlepool . . . . . I don't disagree that the very word 'Councillor' leaves a bad taste in the mouth within Hartlepool. It's just a shame all councillors are tarred with the same brush.

How many councillors in Hartlepool take cash from the public purse? Answer, every single one of them! So they are all quite rightly tarred with tbe same brush!  When Oscar Wilde reportedly asked a society lady at a dinner party if she would sleep with him for £1,000,000, her answer was "yes" she would. Asked if she would sleep with him for half a crown she was scandalised and said "no, of  course not. What kind of woman do you think I am?" Wilde countered with "I have established what kind of woman you are. Its just your price that is in question"

So in my opinion a councillor taking £70 a week is no diferent to a councillor taking £1,000 a week. It's just their price that is different. You either are taking money or you are not. Once you take anything you are the same as the rest. You can't be a little bit pregnant or commit a little bit of murder (unless you are a south african para olympian)  When PHF announce their councillors are taking no allowances at all then I'll start to believe they are different, until then the only differnce I see is they don't stick their snouts as far into the trough as some of the others. Of course that could just be because they don't get the chance?

OK I haven't been reading this forum for all that long but in the time that I have I'd say that is one of the most stupid posts that I have read.

DRiddle

I'm glad you said that Craig because I was starting to think it was just me who could see so many holes in one directions argument it was starting to look like Rab C Nesbitts vest.

There are so many logical fallacies in that kind of reasoning it's embarrassing.

To use a continuum type argument and claim that a councillor on £70 a week is as bad as one on £1,000 is very ill thought out.

By that rationale, a 'criminal' who does 71mph in a 70mph limit is the same as a 'criminal' who goes on a rampaging killing spree.

Likewise, a 'drinker' who has a pint on a weekend must, by that logic, be the same as a 'drinker' who is a raging alcoholic and spends every minute of every day looking for his next alcohol fix.

In terms of the issue itself, I put FAR more back into the public purse via my taxes and NI contributions than i'll ever take out.

But apparently I'm the same as a councillor who awards a £1 million contract to an organisation set up by members of his own party without a tendering process.

Only in Hartlepool... *shakes head.

fred c

Quote from: craig finton on September 14, 2014, 12: PM
Quote from: one direction on September 13, 2014, 10: PM

OK I haven't been reading this forum for all that long but in the time that I have I'd say that is one of the most stupid posts that I have read.

Ditto.............Craig, but  you have to take into consideration there are some people who are never happier than when stirring the s**t with their bare hands.

mk1

Quote from: fred c on September 14, 2014, 05: PM
but  you have to take into consideration there are some people who are never happier than when stirring the s**t with their bare hands.

Be aware. Some very 'high profile' pre-mod members are posting using new IDs. They may moderate their language but there is no hiding the madness that afflicts...................

On the 'contribution' argument. It appears anyone on less than an average of 30,000 a year is, over their lifetime,  a net drain on the exchequer.
Yes thats right folks most of us are welfare scroungers.