What Can You Say?

Started by steveL, August 06, 2014, 11: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveL

HBC Press Release

Council to seek new home for shopping centre mural

Hartlepool Council has offered to step in and try to find a new home for a town centre mural.

The 78ft mural, which depicts the history of the town, is currently located above the Marks and Spencer store in Middleton Grange Shopping Centre but is having to be removed for essential maintenance work.

There is no guarantee that the mural, painted by local artist David Betson to mark the Millennium 14 years ago, can be re-installed in its current location which prompted the search for a new home.

Councillor Christopher Akers-Belcher, the Leader of Hartlepool Council, said: "I had already met with Mark Rycraft, the Manager of Middleton Grange Shopping Centre, and given him a commitment that the Council will do everything possible to find an alternative home in the town for the Millennium Mural.

"The mural is a very popular piece of art which portrays Hartlepool's long and proud history. At 78ft long, the artwork is substantial, so finding a suitable location will not be easy but the people of Hartlepool can be assured that our search is already under way."
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Inspector Knacker

It's a distraction. The Mail is making a populist fuss over something utterly banal and the opportunists are jumping onboard .
The so called piece of art is surprising in that it was sllowed to hang there as long as it did.... O levell grade d comes to mind ......
So while our town goes down the pan the fate of this  'masterpiece' is the only thng thst could stir the Mail to organise a vote despite plenty of worthy causes....utterly pathetic....the Msil is as cutting edge a a rubber razor blade.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

SRMoore

Personally I hate the bloody thing. I'd have preferred they saved the clock above Woolworths - it was more iconic and definitely more pleasing on the eye.

PostItNote

What about the other excellent artifacts and art works across the town from historic buildings LIKE BEAUTIFUL GLASS WINDOWS IN CHURCHES THAT WERE SOLD TO AMERICA (if my memory serves me correctly), criminal theft done secretly under the table.

Inspector Knacker

Councillors and art...........?  Why am I thinking....... colouring book......?
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

PostItNote

I think it is more like Cook the books! 

Art work has been sold, right from under the noses of innocent Hartlepudlians, who would be outraged if local people knew that Councillors were involved. 

I am sure that this art work would have been more of a beautiful vision than what we have today, at considerable expense to the tax payer.

The Great Dictator

There was no theft involved in the removal of the stained glass windows from the Wesley, it was organised by the church.

I know the guy who sold them and i also know how much he got for them.

The council got nothing.

PostItNote

I don't know if it was that one The Great Director.  Sadly there are just so many examples.  Glad to hear that the one you referred to is above board.

I know that a taxi driver was appalled as he took councillors around the town once, they were pointing out what artifacts would make money if sold.  He was very into the history of our town and so you can imagine his disappointment when he heard that kind of blatant disregard for what could have been tourism attractions.