SAVE TEESSIDE AIRPORT ....

Started by dowager, February 25, 2014, 09: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dowager

Hartlepool Council , along with other local authorities STILL have an 11%  stake in this ....

TESSIDE AIRPORT:

* Has the longest runway of any in the Northeast, perhaps with the exception of Doncaster, and both Airforce One and Concorde have landed there.
* It is served by two major motorways, the A1 and the A19 passing within 15 minutes drive time. These put the whole of Tyneside within a 60 minute drive and most of Manchester, Leeds, Bradford and as far south as Rotherham and Sheffield within a 90 minute drive time. Newcastle airport can claim Teesside within its catchment but north of Newcastle there is only Berwick on Tweed and west is Carlisle, both 90 minutes away. Leeds Bradford Airport has no motorway link whatsoever.
*DTVA has its own rail link for goods as well as passengers, putting it within less than 3 hours of London. Newcastle has its Metro link, for passengers only, and LBA has nothing at all.

In spite of all Durham Tees Valley's advantages Newcastle had approximately 4.37 million passengers and 61,000 traffic movements in 2012, LBA had 2.99 million passengers and 47,000 movements, whilst DTVA managed only 166,000 passengers and under 18,000 traffic movements in the same year, fewer than even Bournemouth or Inverness by a factor of at least four.

Peel's other airports, Liverpool John Lennon and Doncaster Robin Hood had 4.66 million and 694,000 passengers respectively.

DTVA has 1 flight per week to Southampton and Lapland, and daily weekday flights to Amsterdam and Aberdeen – just four destinations at the moment, with a few package tour flights in the summer.

Leeds Bradford Airport  has flights to 29 countries and 6 cities in the UK. Newcastle boasts 74 destinations.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/SAVE-Teesside-Airport/266661683496715

pensionater

local airports definitely under utilized by successive governments,you only have to look at Spain,people going on holiday from here for example don't always get the nearest airport and have to travel 30 to 40mins to get to there destination.Whats to stop people doing the same from here to London by internal flights.I'm sure if the spent money upgrading the airport there would be few complaints. 

not4me

always thought this was always more about potential development land for housing myself

stokoe

I know newcastle is just up the road but still a pain in the ar**,YES lets save teeside airport.

tankerville

Naming of the airport Durham Tees Valley was a backward step it should have been called Darlington Airport

Leeds / Bradford. Newcastle are all identifiable on a map  But;

Where the Hell is... Durham Tees Valley?

for fawkes sake

It would normally take me an hour to get to Newcastle Airport but if your flight is anywhere around rush hour time then it's anyone's guess how long it can take - and if you hit any sort of accident you may as well get out and walk.
"Remember, remember the fifth of November.
Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot."

mk1

Quote from: tankerville on February 25, 2014, 03: PM

Ask the SCABs. The little one (a relative term) was recently quoted talking about the effect of the 2 world  wars on Hartlepool and he  called us  'residents of the  the Tees Valley'.
I think a mention of the 'German Bombardment of the Tees Valley' is not too far away............

fred c

Theres no Visionary... Like a Deluded Visionary

Hartlepudlion

Without aeroplanes it is a dead duck.

ALL our local authorities, including Hartlepool, are to blame as they bought the private 'vision' and sold it off. The cherry-pickers have outwitted our incompetent Councillors yet again.

Jamescampbell78

DTV suffers only from poor marketing. Have family live right next to it and I'm there most weekends. On paper it should be far more successful than it is.

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: mk1 on February 25, 2014, 04: PM
Quote from: tankerville on February 25, 2014, 03: PM

Ask the SCABs. The little one (a relative term) was recently quoted talking about the effect of the 2 world  wars on Hartlepool and he  called us  'residents of the  the Tees Valley'.
I think a mention of the 'German Bombardment of the Tees Valley' is not too far away............
Tees Valley, the valley that isn't actually a...... valley!
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Jamescampbell78

Surely it was just someone who bunked off during Geography and didn't realise it was an estuary?

Pwilson

I suppose, "places that are situated on or near to the River Tees between its estuary and the town of Darlington, including villages and towns who have no formal ties who have been cajoled into paying for a quango and now wish to be know collectively as part of a made up place which will never be anything more than a shill for getting some highly paid non job experts a large final salary pension scheme without having to leave Middlesbrough or Stockton" doesn't have the same ring as Tees Valley.

Stationario

North of the river DURHAM, south of the river YORKSHIRE..............thats the only boundary I'll ever recognise. Never mind Crimea and Russia, this is serious stuff!! ? >

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: Pwilson on March 26, 2014, 11: PM
I suppose, "places that are situated on or near to the River Tees between its estuary and the town of Darlington, including villages and towns who have no formal ties who have been cajoled into paying for a quango and now wish to be know collectively as part of a made up place which will never be anything more than a shill for getting some highly paid non job experts a large final salary pension scheme without having to leave Middlesbrough or Stockton" doesn't have the same ring as Tees Valley.
But as titles go is far more honest than Tees Valley.
I actually think the aTees divides rather than unites the area.... all very nice for those places like Stockton and Middlesbrough( which turns its back on the Tees). but our connection with say Redcar, which you csn see clearly from Hartlepool, is diluted by the fact I can drive to Newcastle quicker
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.