Power Station

Started by steveL, July 18, 2013, 09: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveL

Interesting item in the Echo on te Nuclear option

http://tinyurl.com/orlsm6g
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

View from

It's a great idea in theory.

Looks like it'll be a long time before it happens though.

Hartlepudlion

The only problem with this is it just gives our Labour Cllrs more money to put into their pockets or their pet projects to buy votes.

A good idea if it was ring-fenced for projects that benefit the WHOLE town e.g. The replacement of Mill House Leisure Centre and the Indoor Bowls which seem to be doomed under the latest plans.

Vincent

Rather see a new one built with 100s of construction jobs and another 40 year life instead of a creaky old one, well past its sell buy date

fred c

"The Deary Me Leader" has mentioned the Millhouse Master Plan in the Mail..... I wonder if he will also mention another Tall Stories, Another Cruise Ship Terminal, Another Transport Interchange etc etc etc.... He is becoming a Legend in His own Mind.....

As Charlie Brown would say............... Good Grief

steveL

I can't remember the figure but a great big chunk of the business rates come from the Power Station. The manufacturing/retail base is so poor that without the Power Station we'd be well up the creek. This was one of the carrots held in front of HBC with the new Hospital being just inside the Hartlepool boundary - and boy is that one going to backfire.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Stig of the Seaton Dump

Don't forget they are still looking for a permanent home for nuclear waste since Cumbria rejected the idea.

There was talks of massive amounts of money as a bribe for accepting the waste.
The money could transform Hartlepool in return for a little more toxic waste.
I don't believe it.

ARC86

The call for skilled jobs in town is all well and good, but its fast becoming nigh on impossible. All these new housing developments are eating away at our industrial land at both ends of town.

We had the ridiculous situation of men losing their jobs because the council said the noise created through the night was too loud shutting down a nightshift at my place of work, throwing men on the dole to pacify home owners in new builds. So if anything the council are partly to blame for some of the numbers signing on.

Hartlepudlion

I seem to be on your side arc86!

Couldn't agree more. Labour in this town are NOT for the working population just the Labour voters who can be bought by affordable housing, dubious grants to even more dubious charities.

ARC86

Absolutely and what I refered to is a fact, im the shop steward and at work, seen these guys lose their jobs through no fault of their own.. priorities need to change and fast! Whats more important? People in work or more new houses? And yes, I know building houses creates jobs, but build them somewhere else in town or re-generate delapidated areas like they have done in Belle Vue (loads better now, I might add).