Our daily at 60p

Started by Missy K, July 12, 2013, 02: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Missy K

Just realized that the Mail is now 60p, I have been buying it with other bits and pieces and never noticed the increase (yet again), wont be doing that again.

I was told that nightly readers total 14000 with this price increase it obvious that sales will have dropped. A great shame as I feel we will soon be a town without a what was a good newspaper, surely the adverts (many related to the Council) could pay its way so it could be reduced?

If it were to go to a twice weekly as I was told by the cleaning lady in Mc Donalds, The Hartlepool Post and its members would suffer because it would become increasingly difficult to get the word out!

To any readers of my post that may be affiliated to the Mail why not reduce the price to 30p then do a big buy local and support Hartlepools paper or loose it campaign?

not4me

There's a theory that the paper is gradually increasing the price to what it will charge when it goes weekly. When it finally happens, they will probably boast that the weekly paper will cost no more than the daily editions.

Missy K

Quote from: not4me on July 12, 2013, 02: PM
There's a theory that the paper is gradually increasing the price to what it will charge when it goes weekly. When it finally happens, they will probably boast that the weekly paper will cost no more than the daily editions.

I think that is a strong likelihood of that to be honest, seems pretty much what the media do day in day out.

Missy K

There is another way the Mail may be going: Internet Only!

The Sun do it, however if the Mail did the same (Internet Only) a lot of folk in Hartlepool that dont bother with internet will be upset. I personally like to hold and turn pages etc when reading and looking at papers magazines and books.

mk1

Years ago you used to have to wait your turn to 'read' The Mail. It took quite a while for everyone to get through it and if you were at the end of the line it was along wait. Today however there is nothing it. I can go through it in about 5 mins. Joyce is running an endless  series of  totally pointless 'Best of' award ceromonies. I am suprised there has not yet been a 'Best display in a Gregg's Window' competition! The money making part is the small adds and Birth/Deaths. The second money making part is the sale of photos. Have you never wondered why every event gets a 6 page splash with tons of photos? Why are there so many school class photos?  I bet you thought it was local news when in fact it is a sales pitch.
I am not saying this because of the Mail's totaly supine position in regards to the Council corruption.  The paper has no substance. It is kept as sterile as possible in the hope it wont offend anyone. In particular it will not tackle anything like an expose  on our concillors. The Mail is a bought and paid for tool of the Ackers-Belcher autocracy.