Interesting Development

Started by steveL, June 25, 2013, 09: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveL

Hearing that the funding tap to community groups has suddenly been turned off (albeit with 12 weeks notice)

Not sure of the details, but I haven't seen anything going on in the committees which suggests the decision has come from there; it appears to have come instead  from the administration and rather suddenly at that. Several organisations that we know of have received letters today stopping further funds in 12 weeks. Smacks a bit of throwing the baby out with the bath water. If so, then they can all thank Wilcox for that.

It's odd because we're talking about money that has already been budgeted for and allocated. Marj is said to be jumping while CAB is denying all knowledge (highly unlikely that he didn't know)

Someone is getting nervous.

Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

grim reaper

Apart from the digs at the Unison reps that sit in the corner like a couple of senile muppets,  ::)  no one has expressed the opinion that THEY are just as culpable as anyone (that includes all of the senior management of the council) in letting so much money go to an 'organisation' that had no management or financial experience and apparently no intention of 'playing by the rules'.

Jeffries & Williams have supported ANYTHING as long as it had the Labour logo. And that just typifies Labour ethics in this town....screw 'em...they'll still vote Labour, they always have.  :(
More's the pity.

Are we finally seeing these people for what they are?
When it all ends up in the national press, will we be embarrassed that it was allowed to go on for so many years?

To be truthful, we need a cull from the chief executive...who has lived thro' all of these shenanigans and said and done nothing, all the way through the Unison clowns to the compliant councillors.
They all need to go and let some fresh air percolate thro' the corridors of the council...cos it absolutely STINKS!!  >:(

steveL

I'm not really the 'step on their throats' type and I'd be the first to acknowledge that there are lots of good people (mostly in the lower ranks) within HBC who walk on the side of light.

Trouble is they work in an oppressive culture where making waves can have a detrimental effect on your career prospects. I like wave-makers. They are the ones who should be at the top of the pyramid.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

steveL

No one seems to know what this is about. It could be something; it could be nothing.

Lucy Lass-Tick

Today's Mail carries an article regarding councillors' reactions to the audit ... it indicates that monitoring of MRA and WCNE's compliance with their 'action plan' will be carried out in July, August and the end of the year, thus implying a degree of continuity. Dave Stubbs is quoted as saying that "If progress is not satisfactory we will be making further recommendations." It 's also stated that ultimately, the council could withdraw all funding.

Could it be that MRA and WCNE are not affected by any 12 week notice period of financial cut-off, but that it is other organisations which could be in the firing line?

http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/local/community/councillor-concerns-over-chaotic-management-at-two-hartlepool-community-organisations-1-5802528

ARC86

You are very right Steve with regards the funding tap being turned off. What i do think is their appears to be an attitude on here that all publically funded organisations are ran the same as Manor Residents. that is far from the truth, the vast majority of public sector funded organisations are ran with prudence and scrutinised properly through audited accounts and vigorous inspection by trustees or committee members. These organisations are tarnished when they do some brilliant work which unfortunately is not highlighted enough to the general public, spreading the myth that all public money is bad money.

suvin

Headland Future. which provides support for 15 - 19 year-olds, is having it's funding withdrawn. I understand that other youth support groups are in the same boat.

steveL

I'm a bit puzzled by this. I'm assuming this money had already been allocated but maybe its just that the funding stream from wherever has just dried up. It would make the cut-off date at the beginning of September - start of the school year.

ARC86

All 5-19 years funding has been pulled so there will be no provision in town from september.. even though it has already been budgeted for til the end of the current financial year.. I've organised a public meeting for the parents of the children it will effect in the belle vue area of town and its tomorrow at 5.15pm in the belle vue centre.. all are welcome to attend.. will help you understand the background a bit more too