£21 million in cuts

Started by jeffh, December 30, 2017, 01: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stig of the Seaton Dump

I was initially led to believe the Seaton money was in the £100K mark but recent conversations have it as closer to £1M

Who knows what the real number is but it all appears to have disappeared without much to show for it.

I think it is worth a FOI request to get to the bottom of it.
I don't believe it.

fred c

According to CAB at the last council meeting the £600,000 Seaton cash, has been integrated into the councils central funding pot.

mk1

Quote from: fred c on December 31, 2017, 06: AM
According to CAB at the last council meeting the £600,000 Seaton cash, has been integrated into the councils central funding pot.

Did I not see Shane explain all this on the Post Facebook page?

Stig of the Seaton Dump

Was it £600k or has most of it already been spent ?
I don't believe it.

jeffh

Quote from: Stig of the Seaton Dump on December 31, 2017, 10: AM
Was it £600k or has most of it already been spent ?
From the Mail article it was £600,000 set aside for Longscar Hall - so they shouldn't have spent that, but it looks as though the Longscar Hall purchase and demolition is now dead in the water

Stig of the Seaton Dump

Chasing a property they had sold.
We might have something to show for it if they had put a new community facility on land they already owned.
I don't believe it.

Inspector Knacker

'Austerity' supposedly started in 2010. So, any 'expenditure after that date must have been undertaken in the knowledge that money was going to be tight. So what unnecessary spending can be justified after that date and which of the projects were embarked upon after2010 and which of them were actually financed by government ?
It's like someone being told times were hard at work and wages would be cut, going out and buying a flash sports car. Crazy.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

jeffh

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on January 01, 2018, 10: AM
'Austerity' supposedly started in 2010. So, any 'expenditure after that date must have been undertaken in the knowledge that money was going to be tight. So what unnecessary spending can be justified after that date and which of the projects were embarked upon after2010 and which of them were actually financed by government ?
It's like someone being told times were hard at work and wages would be cut, going out and buying a flash sports car. Crazy.
When there's no accountability, the information flow is in one direction, there is no public scrutiny and you don't care about the people you represent then it's easy.

Inspector Knacker

It appears to be governance by whim or whatever catches the eye. I ssometimes feel like I'm living in some mediaeval fiefdom where the opinions of the serfs are as relevant as a chocolate nuclear reactor. The inevitable outcome of party politics in local government, taken to a new level of the bizarre.
And people still vote for them, the biggest conundrum of them all.

jeffh

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on January 01, 2018, 12: PM
It appears to be governance by whim or whatever catches the eye. I ssometimes feel like I'm living in some mediaeval fiefdom where the opinions of the serfs are as relevant as a chocolate nuclear reactor. The inevitable outcome of party politics in local government, taken to a new level of the bizarre.
If you are controlling the information flow it's not a conundrum at all - the Life and the Mail are both controlled by the LabTor Group - no bad news just good news stories.  They've stifled the public at Council Meetings to ensure there is no public scrutiny.

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: jeffh on January 01, 2018, 01: PM
Quote from: Inspector Knacker on January 01, 2018, 12: PM
If you are controlling the information flow it's not a conundrum at all - the Life and the Mail are both controlled by the LabTor Group - no bad news just good news stories.  They've stifled the public at Council Meetings to ensure there is no public scrutiny.
People say these two are an irrelevance, but they're not. Everyone isn't using 'social meeeeeja' and rely on the the likes of these to supply news of what's going on in the town. If that's the case and you have no access to other. Got,action, Hartlepool is thriving.
I class neither of them as newspapers in my definition of a newspaper, but the Get along gang have no problem in seeing their value.

fred c

Who chairs the scrutiny committee........ or does scrutiny come under Audit & Governance, that committee is chaired by Ray M Wells, as a Tory you would think he would be keen to pick up on anything and everything that is at odds with Tory party policies........... that just doesn't happen and voting records would show why.

The Seaton by-election was a really good example of the power of social media..... an unbiased Seaton Carew News FB Page gave a platform to all parties and allowed residents of Seaton to form an opinion on the candidtes, Hartlepool Media Group also made a really good job of an unbiased video for all candidates....... the fact that the Labour candidate and her supporters ie. the Member, CAB, SAB, Lindridge, Beck et al made a complete orchestras stalls out of the campaign shows how much influence an unbiased social media campaign can have.

Seaton Residents saw right through the bluster, bulls**t and fly tipping b****x they came out with........ if only every ward had a good unbiased community focused FB Page.

Inspector Knacker

I think you'll find Labour succeed where social media usage (usage highlighting community politics) is lowest and reliance on traditional output from newspapers for local news and politics.

jeffh

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on January 02, 2018, 06: AM
I think you'll find Labour succeed where social media usage (usage highlighting community politics) is lowest and reliance on traditional output from newspapers for local news and politics.
Let's not forget they also use such tactics as free rubbish removal and fun days using Ward Budget money from their own and other wards

fred c

Quote from: jeffh on January 02, 2018, 09: AM
Quote from: Inspector Knacker on January 02, 2018, 06: AM
Let's not forget they also use such tactics as free rubbish removal and fun days using Ward Budget money from their own and other wards

If that isn't a total mis-use of public money I don't know what is.......