Zero hour contracts

Started by steveL, July 03, 2017, 06: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveL

The weekend story that Jeremy Corbyn's speech at Glastonbury took place in the presence of security staff, stewards, bar staff and a whole host of others all employed on zero hour contracts, many of them eastern European, reminded me of the proposal to Hartlepool council by the much despised Cllr Riddle that the council stop employing people on zero hour contracts.

Riddle's suggestion was that all council employees should be given minimum hours contracts even if those hours were as few as 10.

You might recognise the idea as current Labour Party policy. If you do then good for you because that puts you one up on the local Labour Group who voted down Riddle's proposal giving the usual Tory excuse that some people like being on zero hour contracts.

No one likes getting up on a morning not knowing if they are able to plan their day.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Inspector Knacker

I would recommend zero hour councillors.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Username

But then surely they would be in receipt of an hourly rate which for some people could far outstrip the allowance they receive now given it would need to be at least NMW. I think that was more a flippant comment than an actual suggestion.

I remember a good post on facebook which addressed the zero hour contracts with the council. If memory serves there were maybe 11? I feel like that is there or there about and in each of the confirmed cases it was beneficial to the employee to utilise a 0 hour contract by the employee. I shall tey tonfind a link once I get home.

Steetley Beach

I might be wrong, but I'm sure I saw something recently that stated HBC ony have about 10 staff on Zero Hours and they're people who want to be on them like occasional event staff, volunteers who are taken on temporary when demand allows and school bank staff etc.

not4me

You are mixing up temporary staff with zero hour staff. Temporary staff are able to register themselves for any future work, such as events, when and if they occur. HBC employs people on zero hour contracts in social care, for one thing.

Steetley Beach

Quote from: not4me on July 03, 2017, 07: PM
You are mixing up temporary staff with zero hour staff. Temporary staff are able to register themselves for any future work, such as events, when and if they occur. HBC employs people on zero hour contracts in social care, for one thing.

Not according to this answer to an FoI request made by Fred Corbett,

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/289592/response/713263/attach/2/5959.pdf

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: Username on July 03, 2017, 07: PM
But then surely they would be in receipt of an hourly rate which for some people could far outstrip the allowance they receive now given it would need to be at least NMW. I think that was more a flippant comment than an actual suggestion.

I remember a good post on facebook which addressed the zero hour contracts with the council. If memory serves there were maybe 11? I feel like that is there or there about and in each of the confirmed cases it was beneficial to the employee to utilise a 0 hour contract by the employee. I shall tey tonfind a link once I get home.
Are you based on a character fro Viz?

mk1

Quote from: Riddler5 on July 03, 2017, 09: PM
Are you based on a character fro Viz?
I think he fancies himself as Mr logic but his limited vocabulary  lets him down

https://i2.wp.com/viz.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Screen-Shot-2014-11-07-at-17.48.33.png

He is more akin to Major Misunderstanding with his non-sequiturs and inability to make a point in less than a  1000 words.

http://viz.co.uk/major-misunderstanding-the-bbc/

Inspector Knacker

Sort of person that if you ask them the time they'll explain the workings of the watch and throw in the theory of time in for good measure. But never actually tell you the time!

Username

Limited vocabulary? Yes that must be it. I appreciate when using the site on a phone it's not ideal. The sitr isn't built around mobile use and I have issues using touch screen phones at the best of times.

Do either of you gents actually post anything of use? It seems to me you just try to undermine, unsuccessfully, anyone that holds a differing view than yourselves.

It's okay, I know you love me really and you just need to keep in contact.

Heknocks68

Fine, ok, point of ??? made please take care, dont crash into anything, dont leave the oven on, put the bin out, make sure all types of paper are sorted, polish the footwear and tread carefree. Cool