You can't get me Ime part of the Union !

Started by ashamedtobebritish, April 20, 2015, 02: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ashamedtobebritish

So it appears after all this time, we have been funding out of the Taxpayers Pocket through council tax payments, to fill the Civic Centre with Union Reps, whilst a select few employees go without Hard Earned wages and short paid below the minimum wage and left to rot on zero hours contracts.

Tut Tut

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/12899816.North_East_councils_spending___1m_a_year_to_full_time_union_reps/?ref=rss

Johnny Bongo

In a way, it's a tough one!  If the British worker wants representation in whatever capacity, then joining a Union is probably the best way to go! Management, at whatever level, have a habit of 'trying it on' with the workers, who, if not represented and backed by a large body of fellow workers with legal standing, would ride roughshod over them!  Btw, I'm not in a Union.....I'm a one man band! However, I understand exactly the sentiments of the OP.   BUT.....do we expect the  Union Reps to go to meetings in their own free time, unpaid, having to rearrange/ cover  days/ shifts in order to attend said meetings?  Councillors get paid an allowance....so why shouldn't Union Reps gain something?  After all, they are (or should be) representing the members/ colleagues of their particular Branch.  NOW....here's the other side!  I was in a Union....for over 20 years...working in a particular 'industry', local, reasonably paid, shift work, for a massive international company where money was no object...and I'm sure (in the years before I worked there) where the unions had the free hand!  My local/ site Convenor was able to take a night shift off (with pay) for a meeting the next morning, which lasted probably only 2 hours max!  This happened regularly.  So the company had to pay someone else overtime AND  the union rep!  In the 5 to 7 years before I left, the same convenor would go to a meeting with Management, would NOT report the details unless pushed...then when the 'details' came out. he was found to have sided with the Management, on numerous occasions (in the best interests of the lads...yeh right!).  As I and my colleagues saw it, there was a 'carrot' dangled in the form of a Pension Trustee position (that also required more time off...and trips away!) which probably persuaded him even more!  .So, the point...is there one?....is that if we (the workers) want some sort of representation, we could do worse than joining a recognised union (with the reality that the Reps/ convenors attend meetings and therefore may inconvenience other workers, due to needing time off).... BUT....we should be holding the Reps, etc, to account on what they are doing/ saying and make sure that they represent OUR wishes, not the Managements! 

seaton

Quote from: ashamedtobebritish on April 20, 2015, 02: PM
So it appears after all this time, we have been funding out of the Taxpayers Pocket through council tax payments, to fill the Civic Centre with Union Reps, whilst a select few employees go without Hard Earned wages and short paid below the minimum wage and left to rot on zero hours contracts.

Tut Tut

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/12899816.North_East_councils_spending___1m_a_year_to_full_time_union_reps/?ref=rss

It's common knowledge the Council pay the salary and provide an office for the Union Rep, been mentioned on the site a few times. It would be interesting to know how many employees of the council are Union members