Zero hours contracts

Started by DRiddle, January 30, 2015, 08: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beanzontoast

The great dictator is correct Driddle it is a national issue the labour gov says it will get rid but the labour controlled council employs 22 as do many other labour council's, another national issue you could look at and join with me is Hartlepool council employes 3 full time Union representatives whose pay is from the taxpayer with hartlepool council strapped for cash and the unions able to give over 10 millions to the labour party these posts just seem untenable. What say you.

steveL

Quote from: beanzontoast on April 20, 2015, 12: PM
The great dictator is correct Driddle it is a national issue the labour gov says it will get rid but the labour controlled council employs 22 as do many other labour council's, another national issue you could look at and join with me is Hartlepool council employes 3 full time Union representatives whose pay is from the taxpayer with hartlepool council strapped for cash and the unions able to give over 10 millions to the labour party these posts just seem untenable. What say you.

Well I would say that both issues, zero hour contracts and union officials being paid through the council tax have been raised by PHF in the council chamber. The zero hour contracts has led to the current review which is taking place and the matter of union officials being paid through the council tax was voted down by labour (and the Tories, bizarrely)

So what I say to you, Tom is - do catch up, for heaven's sake. Weren't you listening when these debates took place?
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

beanzontoast

Just wanting a reply is all  from yourself is all, but not one to let the labour side vote down a good cause as school teachers are apt to say must try harder,  and the request to side with UKIP in bringing this to the council, hopefully it will be easier after May 7th I take it you are the new spokesperson for PHF.

Lord Elpus

Quote from: beanzontoast on April 20, 2015, 02: PM
Just wanting a reply is all  from yourself is all, but not one to let the labour side vote down a good cause as school teachers are apt to say must try harder,  and the request to side with UKIP in bringing this to the council, hopefully it will be easier after May 7th I take it you are the new spokesperson for PHF.

Is it medication or are you pished?

DRiddle

Hey Tom, I think the Mayor was sacked from his day job you know?.......... we should perhaps raise that too?

marky

"the labour controlled council employs 22 "

The reason you know this, Tom is because someone from PHF asked the question when they called for the council to stop using zero hour contracts. Now you're telling Riddle like your telling him something new. If ever HBC puts on Alice in Wonderland for a Christmas Pantomime, I nominate you to play the Doormouse.

http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/local/hartlepool-council-aims-to-get-rid-of-zero-hours-contracts-1-7208356

beanzontoast

Yes the Mayor was sacked from his day job, he was also an embarrassment not only to the residents of Hartlepool, himself and the labour party the independents and PHF brought the motion for him to stand down and then resign.  As I recall both UKIP councillors supported you on both motions .in fact after the last vote SAB stopped me in the corridor and threatened to send a tape recording to the mail re a conversation I had with him which he had secretly recoded I told him to print it my decision still stood needless to say he didn't do it.

beanzontoast

Marky the reason I know about the 22 council staff on zero hours contracts is precisely because I'm on the Finance and policy committee,  however I did miss one full council meeting. The point is labour has denounced them as unsavoury and yet employs 22 on the council  and 3 full time union officials paid for by the taxpayer.

marky

Yes the Finance and Policy committee discussed zero hour contracts because of a motion put by PHF in the previous council meeting. Whether you were at that council meeting or not, I would expect you to at least be aware of the PHF motion. You would have been sent a copy of the meeting agenda and of the minutes of the meeting afterwards. Instead you suggest that Riddle isn't even aware that the council employs 22 people on zero hour contracts when it is in fact Riddle, along with his PHF mates, who have already raised the issue.

The same is true of the union officials being paid through the council tax - although I think you'll find its closer to the equivalent of one and a half officials - half of what you claim.

Frankly, it's hard to take any of your comments seriously when you are so unaware of what is going on around you. Why don't you just admit that it's PHF and Independents that are doing all the running while you and your mate are sat in the trailer behind wondering what planet you're on. 

beanzontoast

I made no suggestion at all that Driddle  was not aware the council employed 22 zero hours staff! However if that is the way it comes across then it was purely unintentional, I will say again though that with 19 labour + 3 torys in a vote the rest have no chance, is it just me in thinking the 3 torys on the council don't get as much fire and brimstone thrown at them as UKIP. you would almost think that there was no labour government in power for 13 years perhaps we had better not mention it after all if Ed Milliband forgets to mention it at the labour conference who are we to remind those trusting souls who vote for him, now what are those words to keep the red flag flying here.

beanzontoast

I'm hopeful of a reply marky to my request of the words to the red flag! And if I have not overstretched my luck an indication of how your 1and a half union reps is much nearer the mark than my 3. There hhas been an interesting article on this very subject in the northern Echo the comments were very interesting, there was however an interesting article in the mail regarding NHS fat cats I thought they were strapped for cash.

WiseOwl

I spent a number of years...11, working part time for local government: and the inability of my masters to make any decision was frightening at first, then laughable.
Cut backs came with the dross, you know, the people who actually kept away from meetings with bickies and cuppas and actually contributed something positive and constructive in all weathers.
There is a hierarchy designed to protect the builders of the mini empires and these people in self and crony built lofty positions are so far removed from those struggling to make ends meet that observation of  it should be given a health warning!
Zero hours contract are a little step up from slaves and coolies.

testing times

Zero hour contracts always remind me of the men standing at the dock gates waiting to be picked for work

steveL

Quote from: testing times on April 21, 2015, 08: AM
Zero hour contracts always remind me of the men standing at the dock gates waiting to be picked for work

It's worse for me - it reminds me of days spent taty picking as a kid  ;D
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.