Zero hours contracts

Started by DRiddle, January 30, 2015, 08: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DRiddle

steveL

Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

The Great Dictator

Why not stick to local issues, this is a national problem that cannot be resolved in Hartlepool.

You could always propose banning councillors tendering for council contracts if you're bored.

DRiddle

Of course it's a local issue. If there are people on ZHC within HBC then that IS something we can do something about.

I'm not claiming I can stop tesco or whoever putting people on them, but surely the biggest employer in the town (that's our council by the way) can stop them?

Balotelli

mk1

About 10 years ago I happened to be seconded a factory in Stockton. It was run by an Asian and employed 90% Asians. Whilst in the canteen I read the notices on the wall and was shocked at the contents. It said no hours were guaranteed and that you could be sent home without pay at any time if there was no work for you. You also had to be on standby every day to be called in at short notice  if there was any work for you.  There were lots of other rules about how much you would be docked for a long list of infringements of the rather lengthy rules and regulations. At the time I put it all down to someone exploiting his countrymen and little did I know I was witnessing the thin end of the wedge.

Bunsen Honeydew

Well done David, this is prime example of the civic leadership and holding to account that has been missing for years- if ever !

Balotelli

As an aside, David has made a good point elsewhere today that HBC is the towns biggest employer and as such should be leading by example.

The fact that HBC is the towns biggest employer also tells you a lot about what is wrong with Hartlepool.  The town has to employ more people in the running of the town than in generating some sort of meaningful economic output. 

This means taxpayers money is being spent without it being replenished....This is before the wastefulness in certain quarters.

mk1

Quote from: Balotelli on January 30, 2015, 01: PM

The fact that HBC is the towns biggest employer also tells you a lot about what is wrong with Hartlepool.  The town has to employ more people in the running of the town than in generating some sort of meaningful economic output. 

This means taxpayers money is being spent without it being replenished....This is before the wastefulness in certain quarters.

This is the way Hartlepool and other blighted areas function. No one ever talks about it but the fact of life is that Hartlepool is totally reliant on Government spend to keep its head above water. Everyone knows how the game is played. 'Aid/Grant/subsidy' is doled out to keep these ghost towns working and workers were shuffled on to long term sick pay to disguise the real unemployed numbers  Cameron has now decided to concentrate all his spending in Tory safe seats and marginals  so we are cast adrift and well  up sh*t creek.
The brutal truth is this subsidy Hartlepool has 'allowed' to hang on to its surplus of industrial workers that built up when the Shipyards, docks and heavy industry died in the early 60's. It might have been kinder to allow the town to shrink naturaly as  people moved to where the jobs where rather than creating this web of government funded non-jobs that seem to have taken over. Our councillors won't say anything because most of them make a very good living from the public teat. Only one is known to fund himself entirely with bribes & kickbacks  from the private sector.
Hartlepool can not  sustain itself with the amount of jobs on offer in the region. There will never be enough real jobs to keep the town in  work.

Balotelli

MK1,

You and I are coming dangerously close to agreeing on this one.

I retain a little glimmer of hope that the real poor state of the town is terminal.  It might just need a very skilled surgeon to save it.

Sadly, all I see are poorly trained monkeys.

Flump

Well done David. Interesting times ahead

StellaL

An excellent proposal David Riddle well done PHF,  onwards & upwards!

With regard  to your comment underneath the  Mail article    ''If this doesn't get voted through at least we'll know for sure that the Labour Party (as most people recognise it) is well and truly dead in Hartlepool.'' 

Ditto... I couldn't agree more!  This should  ::)  'separate the wheat from the chaff' at the next Council meeting 15/2/15

seaton

Labour have pledged to abolish Zero Hours Contracts but with a rider only after you have been employed 12 weeks, what's to stop an employer and they will believe me making you redundant on or before 12 weeks then employing some one else or re-employing you a couple of weeks later ?
They should be abolished 100%, end of !

WhatTheHeck

Quote from: The Great Dictator on January 30, 2015, 10: AM
Why not stick to local issues, this is a national problem that cannot be resolved in Hartlepool.

You could always propose banning councillors tendering for council contracts if you're bored.

Surely David made it quite clear, in his article, that the motion was aimed at HBC.
No relation to Whattheheck from the mail !

seaton

Quote from: WhatTheHeck on April 18, 2015, 11: AM
Quote from: The Great Dictator on January 30, 2015, 10: AM

It is a local issue HBC employ people on Zero Hours Contracts and if you want them abolished you need to vote for the local Labour MP !

Surely David made it quite clear, in his article, that the motion was aimed at HBC.