What's going on?

Started by DRiddle, November 06, 2019, 10: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

akarjl2

Quote from: mk1 on November 15, 2019, 06: PM
when I tried again it was made quite plain that criticism of the current Council is not really welcome.

Feel free crack on with regards to Shane's antics as you said let's see where he jumps after the election.......he is well and truly fair game.
The Morons seemed to have gone but so have the normals.....

John dory

My one reason for voting for Brexit,  I've spent 30 odd years at sea working on trawlers and other fishing boats, and having to dump good fish because of no quota and watch French and Belgian boats in our waters catch as much as they want and have the fckn cheek to try and land their fish through our port,(they were told under no circumstances this would be allowed :-X) or German factory ships off Hartlepool catching tons of herring then taking the roe out and dumping the fish thus polluting the seabed for months. Resulting in poor fishing for us, we have bills to pay like everybody, it just makes things harder with foreign  boats taking fish that we cant in our own waters. Excuse my grammar, spelling I'm just a thick fisherman a proud one at that.

akarjl2

Quote from: John dory on November 15, 2019, 08: PM
My one reason for voting for Brexit,  I've spent 30 odd years at sea working on trawlers and other fishing boats, and having to dump good fish because of no quota and watch French and Belgian boats in our waters catch as much as they want and have the fckn cheek to try and land their fish through our port,(they were told under no circumstances this would be allowed :-X) or German factory ships off Hartlepool catching tons of herring then taking the roe out and dumping the fish thus polluting the seabed for months. Resulting in poor fishing for us, we have bills to pay like everybody, it just makes things harder with foreign  boats taking fish that we cant in our own waters. Excuse my grammar, spelling I'm just a thick fisherman a proud one at that.

Mr Riddle care to comment?
The Morons seemed to have gone but so have the normals.....

Hubris

[/quote]

....seen The Scottish Play?   'The lady doth protest too much, methinks'
[/quote]
mki, now you are just trolling for responses (either that or the Greatham reference library was on half day closing) as you WELL know you've got your plays a tad mixed-up. Or maybe you missed Macbeth and Hamlet as they were covered while you were in detention for serial magniloquency.

mk1

Quote from: Hubris on November 15, 2019, 10: PM

as you WELL know you've got your plays a tad mixed-up.

Gosh that was a silly  mistake......................or  perhaps a deliberate 'spot the mistake'?
As my postman keeps saying outside the block of new flats over the road (in Greatham)  2B or not 2B, I wish people would write more legibly'

Quote from: Hubris on November 15, 2019, 10: PM

Or maybe you missed Macbeth and Hamlet.

I never miss a chance to see Gregor perform.  I have seen all his early work. I remember buying a Macbeth  double cheeseburger to watch him with Larry and dicky in all them there plays wot Francis Bacon wrote........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlYMID5qCdE

Who can forget Kenneth William's Caesar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6BJJe9JV_A

mk1

Quote from: John dory on November 15, 2019, 08: PM
with foreign  boats taking fish that we cant in our own waters.

Is that not because they 'bought' the fishing rights from the original British owners?

https://unearthed.greenpeace.org/2019/03/07/fishing-brexit-uk-fleetwood/

DRiddle

Hi John Dory, thanks for your answer. You've given a REASON and you're the first leave voter to actually do that on here. So thanks, genuinely.

Fishing is clearly an immotive issue, particularly in costal towns like Hartlepool. I noticed in one of his campaign videos Richard Tice said "imagine all this full of fishing boats".

Personally I think the 'we'll be able to fish in our own waters" is a classic example of what people like Farage do to win votes. On the face of it, it sounds easy, we leave, fish as much as we want, keep the French etc. OUT of British waters and bobs your uncle, local fishermen make more money.

The reality is far more complicated

Inspector Knacker

Come on David, that wasn't an answer,  but I'd be really interested about one on this topic because I spent many days and night plotting activity in the North Sea. So if you need any help I'm available. Happy to help.
There's no immigration involved though apart from the fish and they're surprisingly relaxed.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

DRiddle

Aahh so you can demand answers but I can't? That's the kind of inconsistency I was talking about with the very first opening post of this thread.

Anyway, the debunk.

The link posted by MK1 explains the point far more thoroughly than I can, but I.K it involves quite a lot of READING.

I've read it, I've read various other articles on if UK fishing will benefit from leaving and I'm also very aware of Nigel Farage's absolutely shocking attendance record regarding meetings about EU fishing policies.

The general consensus from ALL sections of the media (even the pro Brexit ones) is fishing is WAY down the list of priorities in the withdrawal agreement. BUT, and this is crucial, it's an emotive issue in the costal regions many of which have declined generally over recent decades.

So, in answer to the question, I can fully understand why as a fisherman you may have thought voting leave might be the right way to go.

However, in much the same way as people reading "we'll give an extra £350 million a week to the NHS" have been duped by an emotive promise that'll never actually happen, I'm afraid, so have you.

If anything, if we do leave properly under a Tory government you can bet your bottom dollar fishing will become even MORE marketized, even MORE under the control of a small number of financial powerhouses and even MORE difficult for the little guy with his small fishing boat to make a living.

Inspector Knacker

Just as I expected, no answer. I don't read Mk1's downloads, who does? .....but on this topic I don't need to, I'm in my comfort zone.
You did what I expected, you gave a bit of jibber jabber, redirected 'enquiries' and went into deep waffle mode, ending up in a cul de sac.

DRiddle

So you want to know why fishermen might he better off remaining in the EU, MK1 post a very interesting, heavily evidence based article which answers precisely that . . . And you dont read it.

Maybe that's the reason you voted leave eh?

Wasn't it Gove who said "people have had enough of experts?"

mk1

It should be remembered that the 3 (in)famous 'Cod Wars' were all  won by Iceland and that in the end the UK surrendered because it was discovered that 'we' needed Iceland far more than they needed us.  The UK Government sold the fisherman out  for a political advantage and that was a bigger blow to the UK fishing fleet than any EU deal.  The 'EU' were also defeated by plucky little Iceland and, when push came to shove, the USA decided to intervene in Iceland's favour. 

mk1

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on November 16, 2019, 07: AM
. I don't read Mk1's downloads, who does? .....but on this topic I don't need to, I'm in my comfort zone.

There is a word (phrase) for that mind-set:

Post-truth politics (also called post-factual politics and post-reality politics) is a political culture in which debate is framed largely by appeals to emotion disconnected from the details of policy, and by the repeated assertion of talking points to which factual rebuttals are ignored.

Welcome to the Trumpian mad-house!

mk1

.but on this topic I don't need to, I'm in my comfort zone.

Dunning Kruger applies

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: mk1 on November 16, 2019, 07: AM
. I don't read Mk1's downloads, who does? .....but on this topic I don't need to, I'm in my comfort zone.

There is a word (phrase) for that mind-set:

Post-truth politics (also called post-factual politics and post-reality politics) is a political culture in which debate is framed largely by appeals to emotion disconnected from the details of policy, and by the repeated assertion of talking points to which factual rebuttals are ignored.

Welcome to the Trumpian mad-house!
No matey, you.I'm just trying to make sense of your political Magic Roundabout.
Now are you claiming to be the 'Truth' ....? If you say it, and nobody references it against you for your approval it ''tis the Devils work'?

When you were there as opposed to trawling the internet (which is the closest you'll get to fishing) every spare second I'll listen. Do you honestly believe I'd rush to someone on a message board for information when there are proper sources out there which shock horror aren't yours, from multiple sources and viewpoints.