Stuart's lastest Facebook campaign.... bit desperate?

Started by perseus, November 07, 2012, 05: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

perseus

Various local 'contacts' of mine have the Mayor as a 'friend' on Facebook. Several have received a variation on the following message (see below) from Mr Drummond.

Hi (name),

I wonder if you would do me a favour next week and start getting people out to vote in favour of the Mayoral system in the referendum next Thursday? I can give you a million reasons why however i'm concerned that apathy will win the day and with a really low turn out, it is likely that the councillor cronies will stitch it up.

Let me know, cheers

Stuart

Any thoughts on that? Clever? Sensible? Potentially effective? Desperate?

Lucy Lass-Tick

Hmmm...looks like an (extremely) condensed version of his column in tonight's Mail, an article which I found pretty impressive!

http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/sport/columnists/mayor-on-wednesday-be-careful-what-you-vote-for-1-5101876

fred c

Yeah... I can`t say i have ever been to impressed with drummonds Mayoral performance, but he has hit the nail on the head with this article, "The Mob" are looking to consolidate their grip on HBC with the committee system & will do anything to acheive their aims.

Its a pity he didn`t have the bottle to come out & say what he thinks about the Labour Group earlier on in his time in office, doing so now smacks of Sour Grapes.

Lucy Lass-Tick

Quote from: fred c on November 07, 2012, 06: PM

Its a pity he didn`t have the bottle to come out & say what he thinks about the Labour Group earlier on in his time in office, doing so now smacks of Sour Grapes.

I get the feeling that he's reached a point where 'stuff the veneer' is foremost in his mind. Still, better late than never... he did exhibit some cojones when he booted the budget-batterers out of the inner circle, but didn't really seem to sustain the emotion. As you say Fred, it could be seen as sour grapes...it's a bit sad if it's taken this long to see the light.

I just hope that people can disassociate the role from the performer and think twice before they open the 'gates of doom' by opting for the alternative or (worse still) by allowing it by default through apathy.

craig finton

The obsession of Labour to seek to accrue power for power's sake at a time when there are far more pressing financial matters to resolve was higlighted by the Peer Review and throws light on Labour's priorities. You are right that Mr Drummond has left it rather late but he is in a strange position. He is not, or rather shouldn't be, the subject matter of the referendum on November 15th and so cannot treat this as he would a normal mayoral election. He probably knows more than any of us the efforts made to undermine the position of the elected Mayor but has few options to counter the distorted mis-information currently being dropped through people's letter boxes by both the Conservatives and Labour.

fred c

If you cosy up to the devils.... you eventually face the grim reapers of "The Mob"