Pointless 'Halal meat' story by the Mail... socially divisive.

Started by perseus, October 25, 2012, 08: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveL

I merely point out that it is far more likely that this situation arose from an understandable wish to meet the nutritional requirements of a particular group within the school - just like I'm sure they do for other groups. I doubt very much if the headmistress involves herself with the daily procurement of foodstuffs and that it is far more likely that the Head Cook or someone similar, faced with very tight budgets, thought it more economic to purchase all meat from the same source. As I said, if this is the case then it was a mistake but one which was put right in a very short time.

Your response?

You claim this head-teacher "made a mistake"?  Why is it then that we read of endless other instances where teachers enforce the principle that the  'minority tail should wag the majority dog'?

I don't read of endless other instances where teachers enforce the principle that the  'minority tail should wag the majority dog'? It's a bigotted generalisation coming out of your head.

The cancerous dogma of PC / diversity education etc is endemic in our schools.  The one way traffic is all geared up to teaching that British / Christian children must respect the history, culture, religions and customs of every race and religion - but not their own.  The prevalent credo is that celebrating British culture and customs might give offence to others.

Again all baseless generalisations emanating from from your own head. You should pause for a moment and consider whether Jesus ever preached anything like the sort of prejudice you extol.  There is absolutely nothing Christian about the xenophobic claptrap that escapes from your keyboard.

LUNACY, DANGEROUS LUNACY.
I know, and it's about time you stopped doing it.

She didn't make a mistake, Steve, she knew what she was doing.  Thankfully the parents' showed their mettle this time and told her in no uncertain terms  - "Hey teacher, leave those kids alone".

Really? Have you spoken to her? Do you actually know all of the ins and outs of the situation? Or are you simply filling in the gaps from your bottomless pit of pre-determined prejudiced assumptions and opinions?

http://www.loveforallhatredfornone.org/
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

rabbit

If everyone was a veggie. this problem would not have arisen.

Although on planet Veggie, there is perhaps a right and wrong way to peel a carrot.

Perhaps I should know?

SRMoore

Because the practice is barbaric and inhumane. It causes severe distress and pain to the animals. I'd rather this method was not increased to cope with demands from schools when it is to satisfy a small number of pupils. As with vegans and veggies, by all means cater seperately but do not force this upon all.

http://www.thescienceforum.com/scientific-study-religion/16352-halal-killing-inhumane.html

testing times

This is a non-story to me but having read your latest post Shane, perhaps you could explain the tory position on fox-hunting.

Ryehill

Perseus, I do wish that you would read my post with a bit more care . I think that your analogy about nut allergy and halal meat was a poor one. You obviously don't , so we disagree. The rest of my post was simply raising the question why, after many years that muslim children have attended Lynnfield school, has the subject of halal meat been raised ? Without a reason been given then speculation will happen.

rabbit

To this list of "situations" must also be added the current situation regarding votes for prisoners.

I say why not give them the right to vote? Apart from the ones involved in terrorism who have tried to destroy our democracy.

But that should be for another thread.

Ryehill

According to you, Perseus, this was a pointless 'Halal Meat' story by the Mail so why are you making a meal out of it?

SRMoore

Quote from: testing times on October 28, 2012, 09: AM
This is a non-story to me but having read your latest post Shane, perhaps you could explain the tory position on fox-hunting.
Ahh so because I'm a Tory everything that I say must conform to current party policy?

As it happens I know members of my party on either side of the fox hunting fence, just as you will find non party members too.

Perseus, I'm sorry but stunning an animal before slitting it and having it bleed out is more humane than simply hanging it upside down, slitting it and having it bleed out fully concious. You are now arguing for arguements sake.

SRMoore

As I stated in my earlier post, the school should simply cater for those who require hallal meat seperately as they do for veggies and vegans. There should be no reason why the muslim children who attend this school should have to go home for lunch because the school does not cater seperately for them.

Incidentaly, I did wonder if the complaining parents ever order food from local take aways? The majority of which only serve hallal meat.

SRMoore

I didn't answer your question because I didn't actually see the post regarding the chip fat question.

Which cooking oils are we talking about and why are 40 of them not allowed to eat chips cooked in a particular type?
If the kitchen staff can spare the time to cater for other dietary requirements like vegans, then there is no reason why the school cannot provide the same attention to those children who require their chips cooked in a specific oil? Hardly fair is it?

SRMoore

I'd answer the question if you'd provide me with all of the facts.

SRMoore

Thanks for clearing that up.
In answer to your question then I would say that since the school may have always been serving chips fried in the now 'forbidden' oil and they know that the vast majority of children have no issue with said oil, it would be best for the school to cater for those 40 children who require a different oil seperately, as they would with veggies and vegans. They may even find that the oil is the same as that used by the veggies and vegans which would make life even easier for the kitchen staff.

In short, cater for the minority dietry requirement seperately.

SRMoore

You don't know if they don't have an issue with having their oil switched as they wouldn't have known. Just as those children who aren't allowed a specific oil would not know if their chips had been cooked in it.

The simple reality is that if this school has pupils who require hallal meat then those children should be afforded the same treatment as any other child with a special dietry requirement.
There should be no reason why these kids have to go home for lunch.

One one other note... By your reckoning Perseus it's be easier and cheaper to simply serve all children vegan food right?

Lucy Lass-Tick

Chips?....Fried chicken?  School dinners in the limelight again...where's Jamie Oliver when you need him?  ;)

Lucy Lass-Tick

Burger vans...what is the world coming to?  :o When I think back to what my old school thought appropriate food for 600 girls between 11 and 18....shoe leather liver, rancid mince, greasy fritters, gristly stews and mash with black lumps etc..  Ah, the nostalgia (and the indigestion)...made me what I am today...erm... ::)