Tees Valley tax.

Started by Inspector Knacker, February 28, 2017, 06: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

testing times

do they just mimic the timetable or are they linked to the buses? I know the ones in Londed are linked to the buses and can predict delayed arrivals - quite good really

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: no6bus on March 02, 2017, 08: PM
Actually some bus stops do have the electronic displays fitted, mill house, Richie's, the hospital to name some
They wern't fitted by Cleveland County Council though.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Tee_Ess_25er

Quote from: Riddler5 on March 02, 2017, 08: PM
Quote from: no6bus on March 02, 2017, 08: PM
Actually some bus stops do have the electronic displays fitted, mill house, Richie's, the hospital to name some
They wern't fitted by Cleveland County Council though.

Yes it seems they are used at bus stops that are not exclusive to Stagecoach Hartlepool so I wonder if Stagecoach even had any involvement in their fitting tbh.

mk1

I have just checked. It appears that for the Arriva buses the timetable is 'live' but for Stagecoach and Go Northern it just uses the timatable data. The 24 to Durham should have already gone by the timetable but was showing '8 mins'-'7 mins ' etc until it arrived. I watched as the Stagecoach number 6 dropped from the display even though no bus arrived. I did notice that an Arriva bus was showing 'Wi-Fi available'  stickers the other day so I guess that is the key. Stagecoach are not too keen on anything that detracts from profiteering so I expect them to be last to join the system.

no6bus

The bus stop displays were fitted by oxford council workmen ? But eventually should show live information as all the stagecoach fleet are fitted with AVL (Actual Vehicle Location) and this should be linked to bus stop displays, the live information is available on the Stagecoach Live App.

Inspector Knacker

Whoa. The point I was making originally was Hartlepool was fobbed off with the cheap option while the rest of Cleveland got the cream, (that in this case ended up as a 'vision') the point being we'd always end up second best.

As regards the present information about buses, all very nice, if we had a proper bus service.

no6bus

We do have a bus service, and the evening service reflects the usage it had, you wouldn't run empty buses around every night, the Friday and Saturday lose less money than the Sunday to Thursday which is why they still run.
Gone are the days when it was council owned and all operating loses were simply swallowed up

mk1

Quote from: no6bus on March 04, 2017, 08: AM

Gone are the days when it was council owned and all operating loses were simply swallowed up

You mean the days when the profits gained on the busy routes during the day were used to subsidise the night services?
Compared to today where you can chose to run only the services that make lots of money  and bollocks to all the others?

steveL

I think this bird has flown - people have adjusted.

I hark back to the day that they introduced town centre parking charges complete with the claim that the money raised would be used to subsidise the bus service to encourage fewer people to use cars and ease congestion. The promise wasn't kept, subsidies were removed and the services diminished. Now people have adjusted and the use of taxis has increased. You only have to see the taxis queuing outside the Supermarkets and the Bingo Halls to know that.

I now doubt if bus services reverted to their original frequency that the take-up would be significant. People are less willing to walk from a bus stop to their homes carrying shopping bags and the bingo ladies less willing to do the same, especially during the dark nights.

Interesting though that in places that have maintained a full bus service throughout, passenger numbers at all times of day remain relatively high.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

kevplumb

and to be fair steve the price difference between bus and private hire doesn't help the bus companies
A councillor is an elected representative of their ward, not their political party!
Councils need communities but communities don't need councils
Party politics have no place in local goverment

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: mk1 on March 04, 2017, 08: AM

You mean the days when the profits gained on the busy routes during the day were used to subsidise the night services?
Compared to today where you can chose to run only the services that make lots of money  and bollocks to all the others?
After they took over, fares were going up on a more than regular basis and services chopped and changed frequently.
That's what kills passenger numbers.
So now buses can be run at the peak times and those troublesome not so profitable services dumped.
As for the comment about when it was council owned and the operating losses were swallowed up, so before mounting that high horse,  weren't companies receiving subsidies to run off peak services till they stopped? Which is more or less the same thing.
The council should be ashamed for cutting subsidies, especially a Labour council whose voters would be most affected by the withdrawl. Although I suppose as usual they could blame the government and hope their electorate would too, Do they accept responsibility for anything?

no6bus

Quote from: Riddler5 on March 04, 2017, 10: AM
Quote from: mk1 on March 04, 2017, 08: AM

After they took over, fares were going up on a more than regular basis and services chopped and changed frequently.
That's what kills passenger numbers.
So now buses can be run at the peak times and those troublesome not so profitable services dumped.
As for the comment about when it was council owned and the operating losses were swallowed up, so before mounting that high horse,  weren't companies receiving subsidies to run off peak services till they stopped? Which is more or less the same thing.
The council should be ashamed for cutting subsidies, especially a Labour council whose voters would be most affected by the withdrawl. Although I suppose as usual they could blame the government and hope their electorate would too, Do they accept responsibility for anything?
And to hark back to not running buses without subsidies, the sixes and sevens were reintroduced on an evening, after 6 months the sixes were dropped due to low patronage so the bus company tried to run them even at a loss but if the public won't use them would you continue to run them, no

mk1

Quote from: no6bus on March 06, 2017, 07: AM

And to hark back to not running buses without subsidies, the sixes and sevens were reintroduced on an evening, after 6 months the sixes were dropped due to low patronage so the bus company tried to run them even at a loss but if the public won't use them would you continue to run them, no

If you make massive profits on the crowded 6 & 7 routes during the day then yes I expect some subsidy of those routes that don't make money. When I worked in a factory we had to take ona few  jobs that did not pay in order that the bulk of the jobs that did make money stayed with the firm. If  the firm rejected the loss-makers then all the work would go with them.