Stubbs Attempts to Close the Stable Door

Started by steveL, June 01, 2014, 11: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveL

We have a new clue regarding HBC's real attitude towards 'openness and transparency' in the light of the Wynyard Deal.

In a letter to all councillors, Stubbs has said that he wants a private meeting with all councillors prior to the meeting of the full council on June 10th. The subject of the letter is council and member/officer protocol - which you can safely read as a brief lecture on confidentiality.

'Confidentiality' in this context is not restricted to sensitive financial or contractual information but more generally, any information which Stubbs would not like the public to know about which in over 12 years this site has learnt includes pretty much everything.

This is what happens when Senior Executives come to believe that a local council is a quite distinct and separate entity from the people it is meant to represent and that the defence of the council as an organisation takes precedent over all else.

The bad news for Stubbs is that HBC is full of people who are totally fed up of working for such a corrupt and dysfunctional organisation and that consequently the Post's 'postbag' is full of e-mails providing details of dodgy dealings, inappropriate political influence and poor standards.

They, like us, want something better occupying the walls of the Civic Centre and no 10 minute attempt to close the door after the horse has bolted is going to change that. As if to prove the point, we had received 4 copies of Stubbs' letter within hours of it being issued.

Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

TSteels

Personally I think Mr Stubbs should be extremely careful I his approach because I suspect his aim is to take certain independents to task over what he sees as inappropriate behaviour, while ignoring the truly despicable behaviour of some on the Labour benches in the way they treat officers.

Indeed a little birdie tells me he himself has passed comment about some councillors that would certainly not live up to the officer/councillor protocol.

If I were in that meeting I wouldn't allow hypocrisy from the CEO to go unchallenged.

for fawkes sake

The obvious question here is why the public have been deliberately excluded from hearing this 'address'. Here we have an unelected official lecturing people we have elected to represent us because he believes they're are not complying with his wish to keep everything sealed behind closed doors.

What exactly is he planning on saying that he feels so uncomfortable about the public witnessing?
"Remember, remember the fifth of November.
Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot."

DRiddle

Personally I'd be surprised if there's anything more to this than a 'Can you please all behave yourselves' type speech, in respect of people's attitudes toward one and other in the chamber.

Readers and contributors of this this site will be very aware of all kinds of spats and personal vendettas which were played out on the floor of the council chamber in the last year or so.

My guess is this will be a plea to keep such spats behind closed doors and thus out of the local news media.

I very much doubt the CEO would be foolish enough to attempt to impose some sort of 'gagging order' in a council which seems already absolutely rife with whistle blowers of one form or another.

marky

Stubbs sat in on CAB's meeting with the Wynyard developers and as Chief Executive should have been the first to tell CAB that he had crossed the line in giving assurances to the developers.

steveL

"Readers and contributors of this this site will be very aware of all kinds of spats and personal vendettas which were played out on the floor of the council chamber in the last year or so.

My guess is this will be a plea to keep such spats behind closed doors and thus out of the local news media.

I very much doubt the CEO would be foolish enough to attempt to impose some sort of 'gagging order' in a council which seems already absolutely rife with whistle blowers of one form or another.
"

Even if I agreed with the tone of that, which I don't, it is the role of the Chairman to keep order in the council chamber not the Chief Executive. Stubbs is pis*ed off because the whole sordid Wynyard affair is now out in the open - it's no more complicated than that.

Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

stokoe

Quote from: steveL on June 01, 2014, 12: PM
"Readers and contributors of this this site will be very aware of all kinds of spats and personal vendettas which were played out on the floor of the council chamber in the last year or so.

"

Even if I agreed with the tone of that, which I don't, it is the role of the Chairman to keep order in the council chamber not the Chief Executive. Stubbs is pis*ed off because the whole sordid Wynyard affair is now out in the open - it's no more complicated than that.

Sounds as though he is aiming this at david riddle knowing that he likes to keep everything out in the open,he will challenge everything which he has a right of coarse.And the hardcore scabs will be hating it.Tough s**t.

DRiddle

No, I don't think this has anything at all to do with me. The notes that had found their way to Councillor Brash in the last meeting is probably more to do with it. I can't see certain people being to happy about the way the notes ended up being discussed in the public meeting.

Who knows... I guess time will tell.

pensionater

So Driddle will obviously be attending, and in his belief of openness, will tell us all what has been said.

TSteels

Perhaps the meeting could be recorded?

Mican

Quote from: pensionater on June 01, 2014, 07: PM
So Driddle will obviously be attending, and in his belief of openness, will tell us all what has been said.

Did you vote for DRiddle to be your ward councillor, if not, why not ask the person you voted for the same question?

Interested

pensionater

Didn't vote actually,now what clever sh**e?.

Inspector Knacker

If you don't even vote....why would you even be interested in what happens.......?
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

DRiddle

QuoteSo Driddle will obviously be attending, and in his belief of openness, will tell us all what has been said.

What makes you think i'll definitely be there? I've been asked to go by the CEO, but I'm not compelled to do so.