Climate Emergency

Started by Stig of the Seaton Dump, March 29, 2019, 10: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stig of the Seaton Dump

May councils in the UK including ones around us have declared a Climate Emergency.

Do you think Hartlepool will ?

I hope it does myself as hopefully it will shape things like planning control, pollution, protection.

I think we need something to temper the likes of Ben Houchen who is for jobs at all cost and HBC is for industrial development right next to homes.
Jobs are of course good but if they mean you live in poor health and die 10 years early then that is not right.

Would be nice to see people and sustainability before greed !
I don't believe it.

ReturntoZenda

Temper the likes of Ben Houchen? You mean the first politician that's actually delivered on a manifesto to bring inward investment into the area, and try to create an infrastructure that supports employment in the future. Yeah, down with that sort of thing definitely.

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: Stig of the Seaton Dump on March 29, 2019, 10: AM

Jobs are of course good but if they mean you live in poor health and die 10 years early then that is not right.

Would be nice to see people and sustainability before greed !
Jobs are more than good, they're vital.
The biggest threats to health in Hartlepool aren't  'unsuitable jobs', but Drink, cigarettes, drugs and diet.
A life without a job can lead to an even earlier death.
Criticism of Houchen for getting off his *rse and doing something instead of whining, self pitying victimhood and incoherent spending is totally unwarranted.
The idea Hartlepool is going to thrive on pottery co-operatives and yoghurt knitting communes is more living with the fairies than reality.
As for crap industry arriving, it's been going on for years under the present environmental illiterates welcoming everybody's rubbish.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Land Phil

I agree he is doing a good job on the jobs front but we can't have jobs at all costs.
He was singing the praise of a very large coal export business.
Something that is going to contribute to climate change.

As people living by the sea, accepting it without criticism is like turkeys voting for Christmas.

Inspector Knacker

I was once at a meeting many years ago where in my naivety made an objection to something on a point of principle. Basking in my own self awarded glow I gormlessly assumed everyone would be slapping me on the back and applauding ny stand. Everyone else looked at me with a stoney  faced look of  boredom till one o& them said "you can't eat principles, you need money to put food on the table". She was right.
One of those little life lessons you never forget.

Land Phil

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on March 30, 2019, 09: AM
I was once at a meeting many years ago where in my naivety made an objection to something on a point of principle. Basking in my own self awarded glow I gormlessly assumed everyone would be slapping me on the back and applauding ny stand. Everyone else looked at me with a stoney  faced look of  boredom till one o& them said "you can't eat principles, you need money to put food on the table". She was right.
One of those little life lessons you never forget.

That works both ways, if you have no principles you will end up with no food.

Inspector Knacker

I never said I have no principles, it's how you apply them. Naked practicality wins every time. Not all principles are necessarily good principles. Hitler had 'principles'.

mk1

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on March 30, 2019, 05: AM

The biggest threats to health in Hartlepool aren't  'unsuitable jobs', but Drink, cigarettes, drugs and diet....

Not so.
For example what about those who do not drink, smoke or take drugs-like children?
Do they 'deserve' protecting from  the polluters?
If you grow up with this then you get fooled into believing its normal-it isn't.

This is Steetley

And this The North Steelworks

A life without a job can lead to an even earlier death.
Do you know of an asbestos worker who said his looming early painful death was 'worth it'?

The idea Hartlepool is going to thrive on pottery co-operatives and yoghurt knitting communes is more living with the fairies than reality.
Utter bollocks. Introducing such pathetic straw-men arguments smacks of desperation. I say we should have the same factories and pollution limits they have in the South east. Are they all fairies knitting yougurt cartons because if so then bring it up here because the average wage for the fairies is much greater than the 'honest crust' earned by the wheezing coughing yorkie -eating hard mean of the north east.

When I first started work it was on the BS Coke Ovens. We had no protective clothing (other than wooden clogs with metal soles-to stop your boots melting or catching fire) whatsoever yet today you can not get on a Battery Top without wearing something resembling a space suit.

You really did have to work in the area of the smoke (actually very dangerous gasses) in the clip below. I shudder to think how stupid I was.

https://youtu.be/iLg-QW7z09w?t=23

Stig of the Seaton Dump

I don't believe it.

Inspector Knacker

I don't recall stipulating  I support a bean feast for polluters. Now that would be a disgrace. However, I do suggest a balanced approach to developments and not a blanket condemnation of prospective jobs.
As I pointed out, the town has been 'welcoming' wagon loads of crap for years to be be dumped or strewn across the town.
Showing pictures of the North Works From the 50's is hardly relevant today, like a lot of major industries in the town that have closed since the 70's which probably wouldn't even be given planning permission today or even be open.
But, assuming any new industries are going to be detrimental to us automatically, is hardly realistic.
If you want the same standards as allegedly exist in the South East, try addressing local politicians because they're the ones who've allowed and even welcomed plenty of crap 'industry' in over the years.
Cause and effect.