Can anyone help with some family history for Appleton and Needham surnames

Started by sarah1966, December 15, 2013, 09: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sarah1966

I am hoping someone will be able to help me trace any Appleton or Needham families that may still be around in Hartlepool. I am creating a history book for my grandmother who was born in Middleton in 1919 as she hardly has any information at all and definately no photographs. My nan is Dorothy Appleton and her parents were Annie Appleton (nee Needham) and Edward Appleton. My nan's mother worked as a servant at the Commercial Hotel, Commercial Street Middleton in 1911, she died in the Hatfield train crash around 1935. My nan's father was a boat builder. Addresses linked to the family are Hart Street, Cleveland Road Central Estate and Slake Terrace. Her father's aunt was Maud Appleton who married a Thomas Howell, they had a daughter called Alma. My nan's uncle was Frank Appleton and he married a Elizabeth Foxton in 1920, they had a daughter called Betty...she married  Anthony Sinclair. I do have more information if needed. Also if anyone knows where I can find photos at all of Middleton up until 1935, especially of the said address that would be great. I live in Berkshire so am unable to get to the library in Hartlepool. Any help would be much appreciated.

sarah1966

:)Thank you so much for these. It was a very tiny place wasnt it and a very poor area by all accounts so my nan has told me.

mk1

Slake Terrace

Sea Terrace

sarah1966

Terrible conditions, but no doubt my nan will have good memories. Are there any photos of Commercial Road at all...especially the school that was there? She lived at number 29.

mk1

School to right of centre

School being demolished

Commercial Hotel,  Commercial Street 1930's

Commercial Street

Commercial Street