Bus services

Started by Inspector Knacker, April 14, 2012, 10: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inspector Knacker

As a result of the withdrawl of subsidies to evening and weekend services and their subsequent withdrawl by the council, their decision, no one else's, I'm slightly confusedas to why a Labour council would decide to cut a service their natural electorate relies on?
As for our MP, another one who likes to go on about bus services ... well they were privatised in 1985, it was a bad idea, but the Labour Government had thirteen years to put things back to the way they were but did absolutely nothing.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

notenoughsaid

Food for thought Riddler5.!!!  How many important meetings have been arranged recently between Mondays and Thursdays ?   (Evening time).The significance  being that Headland residents along with those from the Seaton Carew,West View and Clavering areas ,all dependant on public transport , are excluded from attending. As I understand it the No.36 from Middlesborough runs slightly later allowing Manor Residents to travel but I admit I dont know the cut off time.The remainder are like the residents of Holy Island cut off from the"mainland " at 6.30 p.m. daily.!!!!

beanzontoast

Hi RIDDLER5
                   Re bus subsidies you dont say what year the subsidies were stopped, but you do say the year when it was privatised and it was a bad thing, to be fair you did say it was the Labour controlled council who stopped those subsidies,good boy. You went on to say you did not know why a Labour council would do this, the answer lies between your posted thead and the government at the time.

dangerman

Lack of bus services throughout the town has been a bone of contention by all and sundry, the knock on effect can be far more drastic.

I run a group in the town centre early evening children and their parents come from all parts of the town Seaton. Headland. West View. Clavering etc.

Now I'm finding it impoosible to carry on with the numbers declining each week, so will shortly close.

Just to see the smile on their faces on leaving is a joy to behold.

This will also have a knock on effect on the hire of the hall by losing valuable revenue leading to their closure.

All because of lack of transport after 6.00pm. ...Disgraceful

Julie noted

The removal of the bus service subsidy was labour politics at its stalinist worst.
They made the point that the nasty coalition made them do it, as they couldn't find the money to keep it going.
However, they managed to find more than £650,000 (and keep funding) the owton manor labour cllrs.
Funny how money is no problem where they are concerned.
It is time the voters of this town realised just how much they are taken for mugs by the labour lot.
The bus service
The hospital saga
The massive loss on the tall stories
The cost of the fight against Able UK, only now to find there are no issues at Graythorp
The chief execs pay/pension rise fiasco
The list goes on & on..........  :(

christine blakey

Wait a minute, look at the very low blow that Hilary Thompson was using when she thought she would stand for Rural West.  She paraded around regarding the bus service coming back to Elwick.  Chris Banks from Elwick Parish Council helped, and with Roderick Thompson on the Committee, you can see how it fits together.

I was delighted that the service was coming back.  I know how hard the lack of bus services has been on people, especially those with concessionary travel.

I have started to help Paul's Travel as they are juggling everything to try and make a go of the bus service, they were the people who decided to rise to the challenge when the Full Council pulled the subsidy suddenly back in January 2011 budget meetings.

I am trying to develop an effective system so that Paul's Travel and keep the service going.  Hilary and Chris have done all they can to block my involvement, even though the service is currently at risk on a sustainable level.

The emails I received were vicious but I am plodding on where needed to support Sue and Paul who are brilliant community bus champions.

Sadly, here we see a service parked around election with an extension to beginning of May for the trial.  There are hundreds and not thousands needing the service, which is where we have a real problem in sustaining it.  This is especially where a new bus is needed to help run it with accessibility improvements.

We have to note that the services were stopped leaving only taxi's to deliver instead.  Grant it, loads of taxi services and very cheap because of that but that is not the point.  It could be the cost against concessionary travel being free which isolates many people.  I wish this would be considered as it seems many of the decision makers are either affluent, with cars or both.

Services should be provided as after listening to people on the bus, the social side of the journey is vital for many people to get on with life, feeling part of the community.

notinshadow

Sue and Paul who are brilliant community bus champions. ::)

Hang on a minute, here we have a company being paid by the council to run a bus service from and to Elwick.
Why should the people of Elwick who have more money than most, have favourable treatment by the council as Thompson lives there.
Nearly 4 grand of our money spent in the first trial period and now more money being spent to extend the trial period.

If they were brilliant community bus champions, they would have used their money and not ours.

steveL

Although cuts in bus services are quite common at the moment, I don't know of another town locally where some services have been stopped altogether after a certain time. Perhaps they have but I still see plenty of buses around Stockton and Boro on a night.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

notinshadow

When Thompson had her recent news story in the Mail, a comment by Paul's Travel was.."Use it or lose it," the reason for this comment was that he knew once the council money ran out, he would not carry it on long, on he's money.

christine blakey

Paul and Sue have spent money on this.  They did not expect to make a huge profit but breaking even would be fine.

I have spent time trying to help and they have an excellent rapport with the passengers.

It is a sweeping statement to say it is for Elwick and they can afford it as the people who go on the bus are of differing income brackets.  The social side of travelling on public transport is free but precious to some who do not see others from day to day.

I am trying to help the bus company to offer other routes, we have a plan being developed.

As far as the trial is concerned, it has cost Paul's Travel, as the donations did not cover the costs fully.  I think this should be celebrated not shunned.

It is the issue of Concessionary travel and need for a more appropriate bus that is of concern.  Concessions are only reimbursed between 40-50%.  99% of passengers are concession pass holders.

Just wait until after the election, see how it is supported then?

I would hope that any Councillors or Candidates within the new boundary would help them.  I will find out who has been in touch to find out about the service, better still went on a route with them?

I think a skeleton service should be introduced, and I think the Cabinet savings should be spent on this if nothing else. 

The use it or lose it aimed to ask those who wanted it to use it.  If they are constantly going around the route with few numbers so burning precious money away, of course they will stop running it.

We are looking at many plans, options and developments but it is blatantly clear upon analysis that this is not a commercial route, it is a non profit route where any profit would probably reinvested in keeping the service going.

Paul's Travel want to help people who cannot get out otherwise, especially when no other bus services remain.  I would like anyone who does not see this to go around the route with them and you may be surprised to see a business owner putting his livlihood on the line, if they do not break even.  They do it for the good of the town, the route demonstrates that.  Give them a call?   

notinshadow

Quote from: christine blakey on April 15, 2012, 09: PM
Paul and Sue have spent money on this.  They did not expect to make a huge profit but breaking even would be fine.

No they are about to hit the wall and the last post is about to be played!

I have spent time trying to help and they have an excellent rapport with the passengers.

No.

It is a sweeping statement to say it is for Elwick and they can afford it as the people who go on the bus are of differing income brackets.  The social side of travelling on public transport is free but precious to some who do not see others from day to day.

Yes it is a sweeping statement and let me make another, the good people of the Headland should have the same right to a bus as someone from Elwick, the difference is at Elwick generally they are better off.

I am trying to help the bus company to offer other routes, we have a plan being developed.

Yes and it will stay at the planning stage, as once the council money has ran out theirs will to shortly after, that's why the bus companies don't run the service after 6pm unaided, as it's not profitable to do.

As far as the trial is concerned, it has cost Paul's Travel, as the donations did not cover the costs fully.  I think this should be celebrated not shunned.

How much council money have they had?? I have just text someone who knows and the answer was, so far over 5 grand if you include the extention.

It is the issue of Concessionary travel and need for a more appropriate bus that is of concern.  Concessions are only reimbursed between 40-50%.  99% of passengers are concession pass holders.

Not finacially viable without funding!!

Just wait until after the election, see how it is supported then?

It won't be and everyone knows that!

I would hope that any Councillors or Candidates within the new boundary would help them.  I will find out who has been in touch to find out about the service, better still went on a route with them?

Why have they got a service the rest of the town can't have.

I think a skeleton service should be introduced, and I think the Cabinet savings should be spent on this if nothing else. 

Yeh righ o. what about the rest of the town.

The use it or lose it aimed to ask those who wanted it to use it.  If they are constantly going around the route with few numbers so burning precious money away, of course they will stop running it.

That's the future of that service!

We are looking at many plans, options and developments but it is blatantly clear upon analysis that this is not a commercial route, it is a non profit route where any profit would probably reinvested in keeping the service going.

You don't need any complex analysis to work that out, just common sense, any 5 year old can tell you that if Paul has a bus going backwards and forwards to and from somewhere and hardly anyone uses it and fuel costs losts of money, staff and vehicles too, how much money will Paul have left to buy sweets with. if it's a West View kid his answer will be "f*c* all".

Paul's Travel want to help people who cannot get out otherwise, especially when no other bus services remain.

Haha..haha...hahah...where is that smiley that lays on it's back, laughing it's head off when you need it. He wants to make profits, the rest is bulls**t.

I would like anyone who does not see this to go around the route with them and you may be surprised to see a business owner putting his livlihood on the line, if they do not break even.  They do it for the good of the town, the route demonstrates that.  Give them a call?   

Same answer as above!!

christine blakey

All you are doing is confirming what I am saying.  The route like others is not profitable.

We all want the service to be extended across the town but there are more issues than simply saying that the Headland deserves it too, we need a service to replace those needed but not profitable across the town, why should Elwick just have the chance?

In publicity, it is Elwick who have always got it, so that is where Paul's Travel approached first.  They simply responded.

Every area needs a service, and this is what we are trying to consider.  However, it is Elwick money that it part-funding it so they dictate the future.  You need to speak to them as to the needs of the rest of the town, as they will not listen to me!

I am not going round in circles here so a summary:

Everywhere needs a bus service.  The Council has been giving too much money to Stage Coach for years.  Who is made accountable for that?

The buses may have been cut because the aim was to condemn national budget cuts by our Coalition Government but the real impact is on the people who are being ignored when they enjoyed bus travel around the town across the day and into the evening.

Paul's Travel are not looking to make profit on this route.  FACT.

If the Elwick route can be sustained, then Paul's Travel want to venture into Seaton, Headland and other areas across the town.  We are going to look at data regarding need which the Council has already.

This is not something that can be tackled overnight when the cuts to services were in place by April last year.

People have to realise that some people are not ruthless.  Some people simply see and solve, and this is the case here.

The sad thing is that the resources needed are hard to come by but Paul's Travel are looking at every avenue to keep this going as they do not want to cut the service again, they did not start it for that.

I will try and get the costings so that anyone suspicious may be rest assured that this is not a business venture, not a charity, but somewhere in the middle, this service is trying to survive despite the buckle of costs and doubt by others.

I would simply ask you to read, and absorb.  If you want to question any further, as I said, go and see for yourself.

notinshadow

Quote from: christine blakey on April 15, 2012, 10: PM
All you are doing is confirming what I am saying.  The route like others is not profitable.

Of course so why are HBC throwing good money after bad when money is so hard to come by.

We all want the service to be extended across the town but there are more issues than simply saying that the Headland deserves it too, we need a service to replace those needed but not profitable across the town, why should Elwick just have the chance?

Then they wouldn't look to Paul's Travel with his old sheds on wheel they would go back to the pro's Arriva, Stagecoach etc. X reg upto 51 plates on LDV's and 02 or 03 on the transit..he would need to spend hundreds of thousands to play against the big boys, so that's not happening anytime soon.

In publicity, it is Elwick who have always got it, so that is where Paul's Travel approached first.  They simply responded.

Yeh right.. nothing to do with Thompson having elections in May, (up to that point) and knew the people of Elwick are pis*ed with her and what she helped do. Why do you think she isn't standing in May?? I think.. as she knows by the general feeling up there she would be outed anyway.

Every area needs a service, and this is what we are trying to consider.

I won't happen and you are taking part in yet another lost cause, so good luck to you.

However, it is Elwick money that it part-funding it so they dictate the future.  You need to speak to them as to the needs of the rest of the town, as they will not listen to me!

Who won't listen? the coucil, I don't blame then for not listening to it either. They have not got the money full stop and if they had it wouldn't be spent with Pauls Travel so what is there to talk about.

I am not going round in circles here so a summary:

Everywhere needs a bus service.  The Council has been giving too much money to Stage Coach for years.  Who is made accountable for that?

Hang on!! now you want then to give it to Pauls Travel so who is accountable.

The buses may have been cut because the aim was to condemn national budget cuts by our Coalition Government but the real impact is on the people who are being ignored when they enjoyed bus travel around the town across the day and into the evening.

Sorry I thought it was cut to save money.

Paul's Travel are not looking to make profit on this route.  FACT.

Yeh right o.

If the Elwick route can be sustained, then Paul's Travel want to venture into Seaton, Headland and other areas across the town.  We are going to look at data regarding need which the Council has already.

Hahahahahahah don't be so daft, it's all a pipe dream.

This is not something that can be tackled overnight when the cuts to services were in place by April last year.

No it won't be tackled overnight, in the morning, tomorrow night, next week, year, it's a none starter.

People have to realise that some people are not ruthless.  Some people simply see and solve, and this is the case here.

Don't talk wet!!

The sad thing is that the resources needed are hard to come by but Paul's Travel are looking at every avenue to keep this going as they do not want to cut the service again, they did not start it for that.

The will stop the service as soon as it is their money they are wasting.

I will try and get the costings so that anyone suspicious may be rest assured that this is not a business venture, not a charity, but somewhere in the middle, this service is trying to survive despite the buckle of costs and doubt by others.

No the council are funding it so it's a business for profit venture, lets see what you are saying when the council money runs out.

I would simply ask you to read, and absorb.  If you want to question any further, as I said, go and see for yourself.

Absorb what the bull***t..no thanks, we hold an operators licence for 2 minibuses, so I have a bit of an idea what I am talking about, I can't say I think you have a clear grasp of the game at all judging by what you have said so far. are you conned or conning? it's one or the other.

Listen I was suppose to start work at 10pm as I normally do so can you make your replies shorter otherwise I won't have the time to reply.

Stig of the Seaton Dump

Why do we let the street lights burn when 99% of people are asleep ?
Is that not money being spent that could be used to run the buses ?
I don't believe it.

notinshadow

Good point I thought but would the crime rate shoot up?