Tall Ships: Best Event in England Tourism Awards?

Started by christine blakey, April 09, 2012, 01: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mk1

Quote from: The Shadow on April 11, 2012, 07: PM
I believe the "figures" said around 2m visitors.

You are remarkably ill informed for a know-it-all.

Quote from: The Shadow on April 11, 2012, 07: PM

So from actually attending the event and seeing first hand the crowds I'd say hundreds of thousands is a good estimate.

Well I have the TV comments made by Dumbo on the first day of the event where he made an estimate on the expected visitor numbers-and would you believe it when they paid a PR Firm to work out the actual numbers they arrived at a figure that exactly matched the chimp's guess.

Shepherd

Shadow, As I said, top draw event, p**s poorly manged financially = loss to the taxpayer!

Mayor, council et all, are there to ensure financial regularity / protection of public monies and they failed!

I do not think that those two facts are questioned.

The fact that 'lots' of people enjoyed the event, myself included is not in doubt, it was very, very good. The fact the Hartlepool people, you, me and every other taxpayer in the town is out of pocket because it was manged by amateurs, is bad, and beyond contestation.

800k budget, £2,000k spend = someone got it very wrong and its not like it was a surprise = gross incompetence!

Can anyone (honestly) explain it any other way?

I would not be against another go at it, but for god sake under professional management not by people who belong in a pantomime! You can make money if you know what your doing, we clearly just had people running the show who did not know their ass from their elbow! >:(

christine blakey

Exactly Shepherd.

Put it this way, who nominated them?

The Shadow

Quote from: Shepherd on April 11, 2012, 07: PM
Shadow, As I said, top draw event, p**s poorly manged financially = loss to the taxpayer!

Mayor, council et all, are there to ensure financial regularity / protection of public monies and they failed!

I do not think that those two facts are questioned.

The fact that 'lots' of people enjoyed the event, myself included is not in doubt, it was very, very good. The fact the Hartlepool people, you, me and every other taxpayer in the town is out of pocket because it was manged by amateurs, is bad, and beyond contestation.

800k budget, £2,000k spend = someone got it very wrong and its not like it was a surprise = gross incompetence!

Can anyone (honestly) explain it any other way?

I would not be against another go at it, but for god sake under professional management not by people who belong in a pantomime! You can make money if you know what your doing, we clearly just had people running the show who did not know their ass from their elbow! >:(

Agree with every word.

Would you agree with me then that as far as bringing tourism to the town and being raising our profile it deserves to be in the running for a tourism award? Since that is why this thread was started.

christine blakey

We should assess that in terms of the tourism it brought.

We should assess in terms of what we could have delivered the event for.

We should assess via accountability.

I suggest we ask under FOI for a copy of the application/nomination.

If what they have written is true, then let's consider the award.

mk1

Perhaps someone can explain what 'raising the profile' means (in practical terms not the PR bollocks)) and can give me a concrete example of a benefit directly or indirectly  brought about by the event.

If publicity was the main aim then they came a poor second to the Darwin saga because he is still getting the town a name check in the national press.
Darwin  got coverage that the chimp and Molly Doughnut could only dream about..............

The Shadow

Quote from: christine blakey on April 11, 2012, 08: PM
We should assess that in terms of the tourism it brought.

Actually it isn't down to you or us to assess. It's down to the judges.
It's a tourism award Ms Blakey. NOT an event management award.

I cannot understand why you would not want to see Hartlepool in good light by winning a national award for putting on a fantastic, albeit expensive, tall ships weekend.

notinshadow

Cost a lot that award.

I would rather have buses running, than a little trophy.

The Shadow

Swings and roundabouts now.

If you want buses running I suggest you write to Stagecoach and ask them to put their buses back on after 6 and use some of the money they rake in during the day to subsidise them on a night.

Personally i'd prefer that our money isn't wasted on anything. Nevermind a weekend event or lining the pockets of a private, profit making bus company.

Hazysky

Id still like to see a bus that has north tees on its stop route....I have to go there quite often and as a non driver trying to get there for a 9am appt is practically impossible (I wont bother with their 'bookable' shuttle bus - waste of time)

Shepherd

Shadow, as an event it was superb, and it did help Hartlepool.

I agree.

I just wish it had been run like a business??? 8) ;) :) :D ;D >:( :(

christine blakey

You will find that Stage Coach took the buses off because the subsidy was stripped.

Sadly, we had overspent on a Tourism Award by £2 million so not only do the residents of Hartlepool have to pay for that in pounds, but also in a lack of public transport, including to the hospital.

notenoughsaid

As a resident of H/pool and being lucky enough to be able to pay my  council tax unaided (much against my inner feelings) I feel I have a  voice on this matter.I fully accept that mistakes may have been made but what a wonderful event it was. It certainly put us (Gods Country) on the map. The whole of the towns people seemed to rise to the occasion.I was able to attend everyday of the 5 day event and as an observer can state that all I encountered were the good people of H/Pool pleased to show the town off.People helped visitors with advice, re bus routes etc.where to eat and the rest of it.Good days had by all.!!!  Despite the initial financial loss I feel we should look at the long term benefits.  One of the down side factors was to appoint Ms.Durrant a full time appointment with no other major events in the pipeline. Buts thats another story.!!!

mk1

Quote from: notenoughsaid on April 11, 2012, 11: PM
I feel we should look at the long term benefits.

Yes lets look at them.
List them for me...........

notenoughsaid

To MK1....I have no financial interest in this subject whatsoever (except as resident as stated) and  as a result I have no list of benefits to the town apart from saying that I am still proud of the event and full of civic pride.The fact that we are still talking about it speaks for itself.   If national recognition is on the horizon lets have it. You only reap what you sow.