New Leader & Mayor

Started by jeffh, May 03, 2019, 06: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffh

As we know constitutionally the leadership vote should be made by the members at the next full council meeting (non-public)

What I am unsure about is where do the candidates come from - are they proposed by the Party or by the Members.  If it's the latter it could be interesting as the possible candidates would probably be
CAB
Hunter
Tennant
It would be interesting to see the way the vote goes as the Labour vote would be split and the Tories would have to decide which way to jump.

As we no longer have a Deputy Mayor could we be seeing a Non-Labour Ceremonial Mayor for 2019/20?

DRiddle

Labour won't split behind 2 candidates publicly. They'll fight it out behind closed doors and it'll be almost certainly between Paddy Brown and Dave Hunter. Once they've sorted it out all 13 of them will publicly back ONE candidate. That candidate will need 17 votes so they'll look to the Tories and SAB initially to prop them up. If SAB won't play ball they'll likely try to build bridges with Ged or offer Lauderdale his long held dream to be ceremonial mayor.

Lord Elpus

Lauderdale, would not trust him as far as I could throw him.

Great news about cranney and Barclay, the financial loss will hurt a lot more than their egos.

An opportunity for the tories to distance themselves from the SCAB's but I doubt they will.

jeffh

Quote from: DRiddle on May 03, 2019, 08: AM
Labour won't split behind 2 candidates publicly. They'll fight it out behind closed doors and it'll be almost certainly between Paddy Brown and Dave Hunter. Once they've sorted it out all 13 of them will publicly back ONE candidate. That candidate will need 17 votes so they'll look to the Tories and SAB initially to prop them up. If SAB won't play ball they'll likely try to build bridges with Ged or offer Lauderdale his long held dream to be ceremonial mayor.

Two interesting points from this - will CAB support David Hunter? - he's on his way out and is in complete denial so why would he? - plus will the Conservatives publicly support Labour?  As far as I aware they have voted along with Labour policy but not supported them.  For me the smart thing for the Conservatives to do would be to declare their own candidate and vote for him / her effectively abstaining.

If I was in David Hunter's or Jonathan Tennant's shoes I'd be reaching out to the Independents promising a return to democracy, such as open public questioning, Audit & Governance being held by the likes of Shane Moore with a promise of an investigation into Rifty funding.

Id David Hunter doesn't start making these sort of promises / changes Labour are history in 2020.

fred c

I really think any investigation should go way further than just the Rifty's funding, a forensic accountant should be commissioned to look into HBC's financial dealings, councillors 'Businesses CIC's Grant Funding and the circumstances surround the abandonment of the Old Town Plan.

Oh and there shouldn't be a half arsed cap on the accountancy fees as happened with Tom Mitchells inquiry.

diSme

Quote from: fred c on May 03, 2019, 01: PM
I really think any investigation should go way further than just the Rifty's funding, a forensic accountant should be commissioned to look into HBC's financial dealings, councillors 'Businesses CIC's Grant Funding and the circumstances surround the abandonment of the Old Town Plan.

Oh and there shouldn't be a half arsed cap on the accountancy fees as happened with Tom Mitchells inquiry.

I 100% agree with this Fred. I believe there are many underhanded dealings that would/could be exposed by a full and proper inquiry....

The question is will that ever happen,, and how do we encourage it to happen....?
I believe everything and nothing

Inspector Knacker

What about the Chair of committees, does that come up for Review?
Only asking as the only Councillor of an obscure Party appears now to be over representing it.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

jeffh

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on May 03, 2019, 02: PM
What about the Chair of committees, does that come up for Review?
Only asking as the only Councillor of an obscure Party appears now to be over representing it.
They will all be up for appointment later this month