Adverts that support the Forum

Started by Hubris, June 13, 2017, 01: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hubris

Surprised to see down the right-hand side of this Forum's posts where the adverts are, an appeal to contribute to the PTI cancer relief charity. This (laudable?) institution created and lead by Imran Kahn (the ex-Pakistani cricket captain, ex husband of Jemima Goldsmith, general good-time guy and serious party animal) who these days is working hard to become a viable candidate to become PM.
Open the link to PTI and I hope you are as disturbed as I am to see all the references to Allah (SWT - look it up) and Ramadan, where they leverage the deluded belief that charitable work is part of the fast track to Jinnah/Paradise. So they are begging for contributions to bolster their activities.
Trouble is, PTI got caught out in the Panama leaks as .......yes, doing some good work, but.....enormous amounts of circuitous cash from donations diverted to end up as the mainstay of Kahn's substantial (and growing) personal property empire, financing his political ambitions, as well as ensuring that his close (but extensive) family don't need to worry overmuch  about next month's bills.
Sad fact is that in the scale of endemic corruption in Pakistan (if zero=squeaky clean, and 100=total, anarchical,lnstitutionalised corruption, Kahn would be rated between 5 and 10) But does him being less corrupt make his scam any less despicable? I say not.
And I know the Post can't filter out every advert to ensure probity, but for sure I won't be sending PTI any of my cash (I'd rather buy a pot-noodle at the Rifty and make a charitable contribution to subsidise a more local case of 'special needs')

mk1

Quote from: Hubris on June 13, 2017, 01: AM

And I know the Post can't filter out every advert to ensure probity, but for sure I won't be sending PTI any of my cash (I'd rather buy a pot-noodle at the Rifty and make a charitable contribution to subsidise a more local case of 'special needs')

All adds you see  have nothing to do with the Forum. They are inserted  because of your browsing history. So, if for example. you Google  'Corrupt Muslims' or suchlike it will throw adds at you that include some of the keywords in your searches.
That is why when people complain about (for example) adds for sex chatlines  appearing they are just letting their dirty little secrets out of the bag.

Hubris

Thanks for that Mk. I really didn't know that's how it works. I stand corrected.

steveL

Actually, we have limited ability to filter out ads by category. For example, we filter out 'sex ads' and also, I think, 'dating ads'.....not sure of the full list
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Hubris

Quote from: steveL on June 13, 2017, 09: AM
Actually, we have limited ability to filter out ads by category. For example, we filter out 'sex ads' and also, I think, 'dating ads'.....not sure of the full list
Looking at the right-hand side of this page, and knowing there are limits on the 'filter-ability', I'd still say that in the scale of things, I reckon the call to 'Zakat' is more pernicious than sex-ads you filter out.
Muslims are duty-bound to give 2.5% of their turnover/salary/wealth to good causes. On the surface it seems like a laudable and moral intention. But, with a cursory glance at the Quran, it becomes clear that the sole motivation for such largesse is to fast-track the givers into Jinnah... - Paradise, where you get all the wine you can drink, albeit it doesn't intoxicate you (??), where you don't excrete, fart, sweat or smell. Where you have endless access to houris, wide-eyed young girls (or boys if you are that way inclined) who miraculously revert to being virgins after every time you ravish them.
It's all a tad resonant (and indeed, the Quran was never more than a direct and simplistic plagiarism of christianity/ Judaism by Big Mo, a goat-herding paedophile of some repute) of the medieval practice where hypocritical/kiddy-fiddler clergy would sell indulgences / absolution to evil tw'ts who when close to death, finally became fearful of their eternal soul's well-being. "Oh Lord, I know I've been a right bastard all my life, but if only you could see your way, for a small stipend, to forgive my many sins and fast-track me to eternal joy" (and meanwhile here's a nice little earner for your representative here on earth)
So, put please try and put this garbage of Zakat into the same category as sex-ads and filter them out.